Jim Thome-He's pretty strong

southsider2k5

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 07:16 PM)
Has anyone ever seen a ball hit THAT far before? Have they given a distance on it yet?

I was at a game at old Comiskey that Dick Allen hit one to the top of the bleachers...just a tad to the right center side of the scoreboard. I think it was against the Orioles...but good lord it was a shot. I don't think too many people ever reached the bleachers at old Comiskey...but his actually was to the top of them...not far from reaching the scoreboard.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 07:35 PM)
518 was the official distance.

Actually that's not the case, it was his 518th career homerun. From the way Hawk and DJ are talking here in the 6th the official measurement was under 500 feet but thus far they've yet to give a number. (from what I've heard at least)

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 07:53 PM)
Actually that's not the case, it was his 518th career homerun. From the way Hawk and DJ are talking here in the 6th the official measurement was under 500 feet but thus far they've yet to give a number. (from what I've heard at least)

I know the 600 foot stuff from Hawk was crap, but anything under 500 feet is a joke. That ball was the hardest hit thing I have ever seen at that park, and I have seen Chavez's, Thomas's, and Borchard's HRs, not to mention the one the Bonds hit off of Colon a few years back that was every bit as far as those previous three.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 09:53 PM)

Ahhh...because an inning ago they were saying they didn't have the tools to measure a ball that far to center and I was confused. I still feel like he said 518 feet, even if he misspoke.

Edited by G&T

I used Google Earth's tape measure tool. If it cleared the part deck, it's 481. If it landed in front of the part deck, it is 440. Obviously this is 2D. So, hight might have made it longer. But you get the general idea.

Note: 480 down the lines hits a scoreboard.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

i dont think people really realize how far 500 feet is.

i said as soon as it was hit that it was probably about 470-480 feet. i think 480 is probably the best guess. we can wait for hittrackeronline.com to come up with the official calculated distance.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 07:46 PM)
I was at a game at old Comiskey that Dick Allen hit one to the top of the bleachers...just a tad to the right center side of the scoreboard. I think it was against the Orioles...but good lord it was a shot. I don't think too many people ever reached the bleachers at old Comiskey...but his actually was to the top of them...not far from reaching the scoreboard.

I was also at old Comiskey when Gregg Luzinski hit the back wall behind the seats in left field. The hit was an absolute missle line shot and wasn't on it's way down yet. Like nothing I ever saw before. I think it landed somewhere in Japan.

Also at the New Comiskey (before it was the cell) I went to go see Bonds in batting practice. He hit one that was right of the foul pole and went into the upper deck tunnel. Next time you go to the cell, take a look from behind home plate to see what an incredible blast that was. Steroids or not............that shot was still absolute insanity. We roughly figured it out, that If that same ball was hit to straight center, it would be equivalent to hitting one over the fence, if the fence was as high as the center of video-tron scoreboard. Just beyond ridiculous.

If it was just normal bleachers out in CF, that ball would have traveled well over 500 feet, IMO. However, there is the fan-deck in Center (or whatever you call it), and Thome winded up with one hell of a high 464 foot home run.