Trade Konerko, Trade for Griffey

I really feel we need to dump Konerko off on someone, and we need a CF if we can do that. I hope Konerko starts to heat up a little bit, and then we can trade him to a team for a few prospects. Then we can spin a couple of those prospects and maybe 1 or 2 of our own to the Reds for Ken Griffey Jr. I know the Reds are looking to trade Griffey, and it would be nice to get him. Our lineup potentially

1) Cabrera

2) AJ

3) Q

4) Griffey

5) Thome

6) Dye

7) Crede

8) Swisher

9) Alexei

That's a pretty good lineup. Another idea would be to trade Konerko for prospects, and then use those to try and net someone to play 2B, and move Alexei to CF. Ryan Freel maybe.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 8, 2008 -> 11:59 AM)
who would we have been trading in 05 when the trade got nixed?

Two minor leaguers .. only hold up was Cincin not wanting to pay majority of contract

QUOTE (JFields27 @ Jun 8, 2008 -> 12:08 PM)
Two minor leaguers .. only hold up was Cincin not wanting to pay majority of contract

I should add that was in August

it was also reported that they offered 3 prospects, including Chris Young for Griffey at the 7/31 Deadline in 05

Well, also, I am thinking we can get more value back for Konerko, then it would cost to get Griffey. So say we get 2 good prospects for Konerko, it might only cost 1 of those good ones, and a low level one of ours to get him. So essentially, we could be getting Griffey + a decent prospect for Konerko, which I would do.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 8, 2008 -> 09:59 AM)
who would we have been trading in 05 when the trade got nixed?

IIRC, Chris Young was one of the main players involved in the package. I wouldn't have a problem picking up Griffey, but it should be noted that he'd probably be worse in CFer than Swisher (whose been more than solid). Also, until Paulie starts hitting, you probably aren't going to get good value for him (you could probably get a good prospect, but nothing top notch). Heck, I would have no problem dealing Paulie, but the reality is the Sox are going to have Paulie/Thome in there lineup for at least this season and we have to hope that they can put things together and than this off-season, the Sox can look at making some adjustments in that area if they are interested in doing so.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 8, 2008 -> 11:34 AM)
IIRC, Chris Young was one of the main players involved in the package. I wouldn't have a problem picking up Griffey, but it should be noted that he'd probably be worse in CFer than Swisher (whose been more than solid). Also, until Paulie starts hitting, you probably aren't going to get good value for him (you could probably get a good prospect, but nothing top notch). Heck, I would have no problem dealing Paulie, but the reality is the Sox are going to have Paulie/Thome in there lineup for at least this season and we have to hope that they can put things together and than this off-season, the Sox can look at making some adjustments in that area if they are interested in doing so.

We just really need to see Thome or Konerko go. I also would not mind seeing Thome traded for a CF. Move Dye to DH, move Swisher to LF, Q to RF (with his cannon arm), and slot in that new CF. Or Thome for a 2B. Again Dye to DH, Swish to LF, Q to RF, Alexei to CF.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 8, 2008 -> 10:56 AM)
I really feel we need to dump Konerko off on someone, and we need a CF if we can do that. I hope Konerko starts to heat up a little bit, and then we can trade him to a team for a few prospects. Then we can spin a couple of those prospects and maybe 1 or 2 of our own to the Reds for Ken Griffey Jr. I know the Reds are looking to trade Griffey, and it would be nice to get him. Our lineup potentially

1) Cabrera

2) AJ

3) Q

4) Griffey

5) Thome

6) Dye

7) Crede

8) Swisher

9) Alexei

That's a pretty good lineup. Another idea would be to trade Konerko for prospects, and then use those to try and net someone to play 2B, and move Alexei to CF. Ryan Freel maybe.

Have you heard of Joey Votto, the current Reds first baseman. The guy hitting .282 with 10 homers. Also let me introduce you to Alonso, their number 1 draft pick who also plays first. So why exactly would Konkero make sense for them.

Plus I dont want Griffey. He would most likely break something in CF and would be worthless to us.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 8, 2008 -> 11:36 AM)
We just really need to see Thome or Konerko go. I also would not mind seeing Thome traded for a CF. Move Dye to DH, move Swisher to LF, Q to RF (with his cannon arm), and slot in that new CF. Or Thome for a 2B. Again Dye to DH, Swish to LF, Q to RF, Alexei to CF.

Joe,

People are not going to fork over good talent for guys who have underperformed, are older than 31, and have large amounts of money due to them. They are here, hope they hit well for the rest of the season.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 8, 2008 -> 10:36 AM)

The thing is, no one will trade for these guys or at least give up something significant to the point that you can replace them in the lineup. Trust me, I can't stand our big cloggers in the middle more than anyone, but the best way for the Sox to compete "THIS SEASON" is for those guys to figure things out and than the club can benefit from them this season and than they'll trade value will be there to swinga deal in the off-season (in Thome's case, he may be a FA, depending on what they do with his option).

Thome can only go to a team looking for a DH, so your probably talking about the Red Sox and I don't think he'll accept a deal to go to a team where he'll probably find himself on the bench once Ortiz returns. If Hafner fell apart or had another serious injury, Cleveland would be an option, but the Sox would be nuts to make a deal with the Indians at this point in time, imo (especially when it means giving a guy that if he gets hot, could carry there meager offense).

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jun 8, 2008 -> 12:38 PM)
Have you heard of Joey Votto, the current Reds first baseman. The guy hitting .282 with 10 homers. Also let me introduce you to Alonso, their number 1 draft pick who also plays first. So why exactly would Konkero make sense for them.

Plus I dont want Griffey. He would most likely break something in CF and would be worthless to us.

Have you heard of reading the post before replying?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 8, 2008 -> 09:33 AM)
quentin and hamilton, that woulda been nuts.

From what I recall just about every team had a shot to pick up Hamilton either after Tampa Bay got rid of him or as a rule 5 draftee. I think the Cubs actually picked him up and sent him off to Cincy . It's all in this week's SI article about him. I just don't remember all the details. Here's the link. Its a good read. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...7/hamilton0602/

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside