Loaiza To 15-Day DL with right shoulder tendinitis, Russell Called Up

quickman

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 12, 2008 -> 08:42 PM)
Good, Loaiza had no business pitching for this team.

You know fathom, I think they are looking for a veteran. when your in a race, you want veterans not rookies. You want people who know situations. I think they were looking for leadership and a stable presence. We don't know what we will get with russell. I hope its good, in the meantime, the sox will continue to look for more veterans.

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 12, 2008 -> 07:47 PM)
One thing about Adam Russell, he comes right at you and isn't afraid of the bat, like MacDougal.

His control hasn't been the best in AAA though, he's been walking a guy every other inning.

I like him and hopefully he contributes.

If he ends up being a mop up guy like loiaza then who cares, I just think as the time wears on they will want a veteran guy. they will be available after this month.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 12, 2008 -> 06:53 PM)
Was Loaiza that bad?? I haven't been able to watch any games since we picked him up, but it seemed like he was doing okay.

He hasn't pitched much in games...it must have simply been a matter of him working with Cooper and the team deciding based on that advice that they were better off with the kid.

Can Russell pitch more than 1 inning if needed? Anyone know?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 12, 2008 -> 08:55 PM)
He hasn't pitched much in games...it must have simply been a matter of him working with Cooper and the team deciding based on that advice that they were better off with the kid.

Can Russell pitch more than 1 inning if needed? Anyone know?

He's averaging more than 1.1 IP per appearance in AAA this season and he used to be a starter, so I'd say the answer'd be "yeah"

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 12, 2008 -> 07:55 PM)
If not already. Tons of reclamation projects available as we speak.

just stay away from tomko, I am sure they won't bite because AJ will probably blow his head off, but that guy could be on my list of one of the worst pitchers who has nine lives.

Call it a guess, but I think it had nothing to do with lack of velocity. I think it was a lack of work ethic that got him traded in the first place.. Seriously, how many twenty game winning, Cy Young runners up get traded the next season? We brought him in to see if he was willing to work like 03, he wasn't, so they cut him.

Maybe I am wrong, but there is something going on behind the scenes that we don't know about. The Sox just don't dump people THAT quickly unless there is an alterior motive.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 12, 2008 -> 07:04 PM)
Call it a guess, but I think it had nothing to do with lack of velocity. I think it was a lack of work ethic that got him traded in the first place.. Seriously, how many twenty game winning, Cy Young runners up get traded the next season? We brought him in to see if he was willing to work like 03, he wasn't, so they cut him.

Maybe I am wrong, but there is something going on behind the scenes that we don't know about. The Sox just don't dump people THAT quickly unless there is an alterior motive.

Well, he was also a Free Agent at the end of the year he was traded, and he'd clearly lost something if you paid attention to the first half games at all. There was plenty of reason to trade him at that point, especially if you didn't think you'd be able to sign him or if you didn't want to (and man, what a move not signing him was).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 12, 2008 -> 10:06 PM)
Well, he was also a Free Agent at the end of the year he was traded, and he'd clearly lost something if you paid attention to the first half games at all. There was plenty of reason to trade him at that point, especially if you didn't think you'd be able to sign him or if you didn't want to (and man, what a move not signing him was).

The Yankees fleeced us what are you talking about... according to ESPN at the time of the trade ofcourse.

Edited by Whitewashed in '05

Sad to see him go, he sounded happy to be back. I think down the road we could've made him useful, (especially at the motel 6 rate we were getting him at) if only for mopup duties. I've only caught one of the games he's pitched, but in the inning I think he allowed only one baserunner. Nothing jumped up and screamed CUT HIM! at me.