White Sox @ Dodgers, 2:10 CSN

soxfan3530

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 03:16 PM)
Is he on pace to reach his option requirement?

Its going to be close.. could go either way. Also, doesnt he have a buyout that the Phillies pay a large portion of?

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 09:18 PM)
If Thome reaches a certain amount of PA, his option automatically kicks in. Jim has made a ton of money over his career, but I don't see him walking away from 14 million.

Anyone got the number?

No, I don't know the number, but Jim Thome is a heckuva of a player and brings a great presence. If he returns to the Sox it won't be at the slary he is making now. Or at least that's my guess.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 03:18 PM)
If Thome reaches a certain amount of PA, his option automatically kicks in. Jim has made a ton of money over his career, but I don't see him walking away from 14 million.

Anyone got the number?

Im pretty sure there is a 3 million buyout that Phillies pay like 1.7 million but I dont think he will reach plate appearences.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 03:22 PM)
Umpiring has been atrocious all across baseball this year. That wasn't even close.

Since about 04 there has been just a steady decline in everything having to do with officiating.

I no longer know where the strikezone is anymore.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 10:22 PM)
Umpiring has been atrocious all across baseball this year. That wasn't even close.

What happened to get him tossed? I think Coop is PMSing though, as he was an ass on the Score earlier today.

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 10:53 AM)
In case anyone cares, the Dodgers lineup:

1. Pierre LF

2. Kemp CF

3. Martin 3b

4. Loney 1b

5. LaRoche 2b

6. Young RF

7. Berorra SS

8. Ardoin C

9. Kershaw P

Martin @ 3b is interesting. I looked it up, and apparently he's started 6 games at 3b this year. I thought he was only used as an emergency 3b.

Martin has been trying to convince the Dodgers to let him play shortstop.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 03:18 PM)

Anyone got the number?

Per mlbtraderumors, Thome may only need 564 AB's, not 664. He can probably get to 564.

Thome's '09 Option

By Tim Dierkes [June 26 at 8:11am CST]

Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times discusses Jim Thome's '09 option. Cowley says Thome needs 392 more plate appearances this year for the $13MM salary to vest. The White Sox can choose a $3MM buyout if it does not vest.

However, both Cot's Baseball Contracts and the Chicago Tribune indicate that Thome's '09 option vests if he tallies 564 PAs this year. He already has 274, so he needs 292 more. He should be able to pull it off if he starts 75 more games. The White Sox have 85 games left. Today's game is the last in an NL park, so Thome can go back to DHing regularly. This option will go right down to the wire.

Thome may be back regardless, according to the Tribune in February. The White Sox have been getting a half price deal on his contract; the Phillies paid them $22MM.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------