Official 2008-2009 NHL Thread

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 10:19 AM)
He's a classic second fiddle. He can't be "the guy" but playing in the shadows behind some guys, he is very solid.

If the Hawks can get him re-signed for 4M a season, I think they have to seriously consider doing that.

He gives you that much needed scoring punch from the 2nd / 3rd line.

Something like a 2 year deal would be reasonable enough.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Martin Havlat reminds me of Luol Deng. Different sports, but they are indeed both classic 3rd guys that can really produce in a spot like that, but if made any more important, they flounder. I was very impressed by the Hawks performance last night, the score isn't indicitive of how good they were.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 11:14 AM)
If the Hawks can get him re-signed for 4M a season, I think they have to seriously consider doing that.

He gives you that much needed scoring punch from the 2nd / 3rd line.

Something like a 2 year deal would be reasonable enough.

His line has arguably been one of the best of late.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 12:18 PM)
His line has arguably been one of the best of late.

Yeah I'm impressed with Ladd and Bolland as well.

On most other teams they could easily be playing on the 2nd line.

Both still have room to grow also.

I was very unhappy with moving Tuomo Ruutu for Andrew Ladd only for Ruutu's personality and all-world untapped talent.

DT proved me and a lot here wrong, Ladd is blossoming into exactly what we need at a much more reasonable price. He has actually matched Ruutu's 29 points, though obviously Tuoms has more of a nose for the net still.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 11:19 AM)
Yeah I'm impressed with Ladd and Bolland as well.

On most other teams they could easily be playing on the 2nd line.

Both still have room to grow also.

Bolland is really growing as a player and Ladd is a perfect compliment on that line.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 12:32 PM)
I was very unhappy with moving Tuomo Ruutu for Andrew Ladd only for Ruutu's personality and all-world untapped talent.

DT proved me and a lot here wrong, Ladd is blossoming into exactly what we need at a much more reasonable price. He has actually matched Ruutu's 29 points, though obviously Tuoms has more of a nose for the net still.

Ruutu was seen as the savior for this franchise a few years back and because of injury / pressure, it just didn't work out at all.

It's been a move that's helped both players.

Ladd will never be the power forward in Bertuzzi mould he was touted as, but he's still got 60 point potential for sure, if he keeps improving his game.

When will Kaner learn that high sticks aren't in the best interest of the Hawks? Holy s***, he does this every game now.

Nonetheless, 3-2 Hawks after 2. I love when Burish scores.

And the Hawks win 5-2. When Walker gets 2 helpers, and Fraser, Burish, and Brouwer score, you should win.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 11:16 AM)
Martin Havlat reminds me of Luol Deng. Different sports, but they are indeed both classic 3rd guys that can really produce in a spot like that, but if made any more important, they flounder. I was very impressed by the Hawks performance last night, the score isn't indicitive of how good they were.

I think you guys are correct about Havlat thriving when he's not the center of attention... but Havlat is probably the most talented offensive player on this team. I would bet that he leads this team in points by the end of the year. When you get a chance, look at some of his highlight reels... they are simply amazing.

Havlat's first year with the team, we were playing .500 hockey and he was near the top of the league in points -- until he got hurt. That's what keeps him from being "the guy." His shoulder kept him out the majority of last year because he did not want to get surgery on it... he did and he looks a lot closer to the 06-07 version we saw -- he's even become more of a team player IMO.

If you can keep him at a reduced rate... you definitely do it

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 6, 2009 -> 07:50 AM)
Our netminders are just ridiculous.

I hope that the closer we get to the playoffs... Q gives the lionshare of playing time to Khabby, because he's the guy I want between the pipes come playoff time.

Huet has recovered from a miserable early season slump, but Khabby has in my mind played himself into the starting goalie role for the playoffs. Not to mention the guy already has already won a cup, and played in a bunch more playoff games.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Feb 7, 2009 -> 03:11 PM)
I hope that the closer we get to the playoffs... Q gives the lionshare of playing time to Khabby, because he's the guy I want between the pipes come playoff time.

Huet has recovered from a miserable early season slump, but Khabby has in my mind played himself into the starting goalie role for the playoffs. Not to mention the guy already has already won a cup, and played in a bunch more playoff games.

tonights performance thus far is proving you right

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Feb 7, 2009 -> 02:02 PM)
I think you guys are correct about Havlat thriving when he's not the center of attention... but Havlat is probably the most talented offensive player on this team. I would bet that he leads this team in points by the end of the year. When you get a chance, look at some of his highlight reels... they are simply amazing.

Havlat's first year with the team, we were playing .500 hockey and he was near the top of the league in points -- until he got hurt. That's what keeps him from being "the guy." His shoulder kept him out the majority of last year because he did not want to get surgery on it... he did and he looks a lot closer to the 06-07 version we saw -- he's even become more of a team player IMO.

If you can keep him at a reduced rate... you definitely do it

John Toews is stunned and Patrick Kane just high sticked your ass.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 11:36 AM)
Kane I wouldn't argue, Toews I would. The guy is a special player, and moreso than Havlat IMO.

JT is a much better defensive, team player... when it comes to pure offensive skill, Martin Havlat is one of the best in the league. Thats not to say that he's anywhere near as valuable as JT... but he is a specialty player who has amazing hands, a wicked backhand, and the ability to snipe with his wrist shot from pretty much anywhere inside the blueline. Put a body on him... hes not as good. In the corners, not as good. Give him space, let him get the wheels moving (although he's not nearly as explosive as he was in 06-07) and he can do some SERIOUS damage.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 01:07 PM)
JT reminds me more of a Rod Brindamour / Joe Sakic type of player.

Havlat has more offensive skill but less defensive skill obviously.

Toews is already one of the best 2 way players in the game.

well said.

I would also say that Kane has more offensive skill than JT does too... but again, not nearly the two-way player that JT is.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 11:23 AM)
And yet, in the end, at this portion of their careers, Havlat when healthy is a more offensively talented player. That's just the truth.

Fixed for accuracy. Havlat isnt quite the complete player like Toews is. And Kaner is prob just a tick behind Havlat offensively, but its very close. There is a reason Kaner leads the team in points.