Cuba

sox4lifeinPA

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 01:48 PM)
Wow, I'm jealous. Please take lots of pics (if you're allowed) and keep a diary.

I'll be taking pictures when appropriate and I'll definitely be sharing them. here and on my personal site (in my sig).

We have tourist visas, so it's a legit visit for the record. Though I cannot say what our visit is for or where we'll be going (until we get back).

QUOTE (sox4lifeinPA @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 03:00 PM)
We have tourist visas, so it's a legit visit for the record. Though I cannot say what our visit is for or where we'll be going (until we get back).

You're probably going for the same reason that my youth pastor had.

QUOTE (sox4lifeinPA @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 01:00 PM)
I'll be taking pictures when appropriate and I'll definitely be sharing them. here and on my personal site (in my sig).

How the eff did you manage a tourist visa?

I was there for 2 weeks 5 years ago, had a blast. If you like fishing, get out and go, $10 will get you a boat with captain , 2 coolers .. one filled to the gills with beer and the other with sandwiches. Also flew from one side of the island to the other for $50 , cant beat that. Beach access is very good as well as most beaches keep the locals out (which I cant and don't understand). Have fun, was probably one of the best vacations I had and I been to allot of places.

• 2 weeks later...

I made it back alive.

What a country.

A quick summary: 7 Flights, 2 interrogations, 5 missing bags, 235 Cubans heard the Gospel, tons of photos, 2 hour "rally car" ride, the best food you could ever eat, 0 people sick, and I will never look at the world the same.

330977041210_0_bg.jpg

195457041210_0_bg.jpg

For those that would like to read my daily journal:

Day one is up so far.

The Cuba Journal

Thank God everyone in the United States is saved, so we can start working on Cuba.

Seriously, with so many unsaved here,why go to Cuba? I see all the people crossing into Mexico on mission trips and think, turn the hell around, there is so much left to do in the US.

And as you know, major props for going, spreading the Word is awesome and I applaud you, but I have some intellectual curiosity about why over seas and not at home.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 08:08 PM)
Thank God everyone in the United States is saved, so we can start working on Cuba.

Seriously, with so many unsaved here,why go to Cuba? I see all the people crossing into Mexico on mission trips and think, turn the hell around, there is so much left to do in the US.

And as you know, major props for going, spreading the Word is awesome and I applaud you, but I have some intellectual curiosity about why over seas and not at home.

I know you're dialoguing, so I'll bite.

A) I understand your argument, but I never said I wasn't doing anything stateside: Church Plant starting Fall '08

B) Going overseas, especially a closed country like Cuba, allows us to do practical things as well as evanglistic things, i.e. I brought in 10 changes of clothes (socks, underwear, shirts, pants, shoes) in a huge suitcase and left them there, also we brought in literature (seminary books in spanish) and money.

Anyway, I'm much more of a service oriented person anyway: in June I worked on a habitat house and last year I was in mississippi for a week building homes in the Katrina wake.

good thoughts, Tex.

QUOTE (sox4lifeinPA @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 03:56 PM)
I made it back alive.

What a country.

A quick summary: 7 Flights, 2 interrogations, 5 missing bags, 235 Cubans heard the Gospel, tons of photos, 2 hour "rally car" ride, the best food you could ever eat, 0 people sick, and I will never look at the world the same.

For those that would like to read my daily journal:

Day one is up so far.

The Cuba Journal

Excellent work Alex. Keep fighting the good fight bro.

QUOTE (sox4lifeinPA @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 08:26 AM)
I know you're dialoguing, so I'll bite.

A) I understand your argument, but I never said I wasn't doing anything stateside: Church Plant starting Fall '08

B) Going overseas, especially a closed country like Cuba, allows us to do practical things as well as evanglistic things, i.e. I brought in 10 changes of clothes (socks, underwear, shirts, pants, shoes) in a huge suitcase and left them there, also we brought in literature (seminary books in spanish) and money.

Anyway, I'm much more of a service oriented person anyway: in June I worked on a habitat house and last year I was in mississippi for a week building homes in the Katrina wake.

good thoughts, Tex.

I understand, and there is a certain synergistic effect of these types of mission trips. It fills both people with the Spirit. And I hope I was not downplaying the impact you have had. I just wonder at times how much good we could do state side if we held off overseas missions for one year.