Vote or DYE Trying

wilmot825

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WISOX @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 11:46 AM)
You must be a Flubs fan in men's clothes.

Whoa whoa whoa! Hold on a second. The whole reason I said I didn't want Dye in the AS game was the very reason I'm not a Cub fan.

I associate Cub fans as those who choose to like the Cubs because "everyone else does". Cub fans don't like the Cubs because they're are a good team w/quality players that and a quality organization, but because they like idea of joining the masses of Cub fans (mindlessly) without actually knowing anything about their team or baseball in general. Pre-'05 your typical Cub fan was significantly less intelligent than your typical Sox fan when it came to knowing your team and baseball. Hey, most Cub fans I know can't even name off their 25 man roster, nor more than 1 or 2 minor league players. My point about (most) Cub fans is that they are oblivious as to the rest of major league baseball around them, living in their own little world so to speak. An oblivious, unknowledgable fan who probably couldn't give you any more explanation for why he likes his team other than "everyone else does."

I felt that combing Longoria's defense and offense compared to JD, Longoria was the more deserving player (to me). And although I think it'd be cool to have JD as an all star too, I felt like I would be making very naive actions to vote in JD just because he's on my favorite team. I felt like voting for your own players just because they're on your own team is a very Cub fan like reaction. Now if a player is truly deserving, then by all means you should vote for him. And those who have looked at what JD has done and what the other nominees have done and felt JD was better, then you made the right move, there's nothing Cub fanlike at all about that. But I didn't feel that way comparing how key Longoria has been year.

To further my point, see Alfonso Soriano, who was voted into the starting lineup by the [Cub]fans with his mighty .327 OBP.

This is all the same world of thinking that wins as a stat are a direct measurement of how good a pitcher is. Or that an league's most valuable player needs to be on a playoff contending team.

Being a Cub fan is living in ignorance.

I just wanted the most deserving player to win, I felt that was Longoria.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 10, 2008 -> 07:53 AM)
Dye 0 for 10 since we put up the voting widget on this site.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 10, 2008 -> 08:20 AM)
:lol:

We need to take the bastard down, then.

:lolhitting

See what happens when we took it down?

LOL anyone see that Comcast poll for why Dye didn't make the team? HILARIOUS.

Options:

A. Longoria was more deserving.

B. People thought they were voting for EVA Longoria

C. Tampa Bay is in Florida... recount!

D. The whole thing is fixed.

LOL!

Edited by TheBigHurt

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 10, 2008 -> 08:08 PM)
and name me a stat Longoria is better at than Dye.

The two are pretty neck and neck offensively. These were the stats prior to the vote ending.

JD: .298 AVE, 19 HR, 52 RBIs, 19 2B, 1 3B, 3/2 SB/CS, 26 BB, 3 SF, 0 SH, 9 GIDP

EL: .281 AVE, 16 HR, 53 RBIs, 22 2B, 1 3B, 6/0 SB/CS, 33 BB, 7 SF, 0 SH, 5 GIDP

Jermaine has also had 26 more plate appearances, so he's had more opportunities to gain stats (I didn't account for HBP in that).

Now I wasn't ever saying that Evan deserves to be in the AS game by a landslide over Dye, but I did feel like he had the edge. This is why. Looking at their stats, the two have very very similar offensive stats. Almost to the point that you cant really say yes to either one. However, Evan has been sensational at third base this season. He's got 6 errors and a plethora of highlight real plays. Dye has made a few good sliding catches this year and has a real good arm. But with his speed and defensive abilities compared to how amazing Evan has been in the field, I had to give Longoria the vote, because in my opinion, I'd rather the All Star game feature those who deserve it, opposed to those who are more popular. And I felt Evan was more deserving.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 12:39 AM)
The two are pretty neck and neck offensively. These were the stats prior to the vote ending.

JD: .298 AVE, 19 HR, 52 RBIs, 19 2B, 1 3B, 3/2 SB/CS, 26 BB, 3 SF, 0 SH, 9 GIDP

EL: .281 AVE, 16 HR, 53 RBIs, 22 2B, 1 3B, 6/0 SB/CS, 33 BB, 7 SF, 0 SH, 5 GIDP

Jermaine has also had 26 more plate appearances, so he's had more opportunities to gain stats (I didn't account for HBP in that).

Now I wasn't ever saying that Evan deserves to be in the AS game by a landslide over Dye, but I did feel like he had the edge. This is why. Looking at their stats, the two have very very similar offensive stats. Almost to the point that you cant really say yes to either one. However, Evan has been sensational at third base this season. He's got 6 errors and a plethora of highlight real plays. Dye has made a few good sliding catches this year and has a real good arm. But with his speed and defensive abilities compared to how amazing Evan has been in the field, I had to give Longoria the vote, because in my opinion, I'd rather the All Star game feature those who deserve it, opposed to those who are more popular. And I felt Evan was more deserving.

When voting started Dye had a better OBP, SLG, and OPS. Dye has better numbers.

QUOTE (ScottPodRulez22 @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 12:48 AM)
When voting started Dye had a better OBP, SLG, and OPS. Dye has better numbers.

This is true, I think he had a OBP of 1 pont better. Slugging was up a little bit with Dye too. But there's a lot more to a player than just the offensive averages line. Dye was just edging him out in those areas too. Dye would have been a good AS player too though. Both were very close.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 10, 2008 -> 07:08 PM)
This goes to show that fans don't know a thing. Hart is the least deserving of the guys in the NL and name me a stat Longoria is better at than Dye.

Really?

Hart: .292/.332/.510, 47 R, 15 HR, 57 RBI, 13 SB

Rowand: .296/.362/.453, 40 R, 8 HR, 47 RBI, 1 SB

Burrell: .279/.412/.581, 48 R, 22 HR, 54 RBI, 0 SB

Theres no doubt in my mind Wright should have been the guy and Lee has been better too, but Rowands numbers dont even compare, and although Burrell has more homers, Hart has the base-running versatility so those two guys are close.

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 07:41 AM)
This is true, I think he had a OBP of 1 pont better. Slugging was up a little bit with Dye too. But there's a lot more to a player than just the offensive averages line. Dye was just edging him out in those areas too. Dye would have been a good AS player too though. Both were very close.

The fact that they were so close, with Dye actually being a little better, and you chose Longoria is why you were called out.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 07:41 AM)

Also keep in mind that Longoria is now the 4th 3B on the team

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 08:05 AM)
Really?

Theres no doubt in my mind Wright should have been the guy and Lee has been better too, but Rowands numbers dont even compare, and although Burrell has more homers, Hart has the base-running versatility so those two guys are close.

Burrell leads all outfielders in OPS. His OPS is over 1.000!

QUOTE (BBaum21 @ Jul 10, 2008 -> 05:19 PM)
Bradley was named to the team initially, correct? People have been saying Bradley is Ortiz's injury replacement on the roster, but I don't think so. I think he's just replacing Ortiz in the starting lineup Tuesday. Can anyone clarify?

Ortiz is still taking a spot, Bradley was initially on the team.

QUOTE (WSoxMatt @ Jul 10, 2008 -> 11:30 PM)
Longoria had over 9 million votes and Hart had over 8 million...Those are the only numbers besides 47 million votes that I have seen

Didn't I read somewhere that there were over 100 million votes? and only 9 mil won it? I am gonna go have to read that article again

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 04:29 PM)
Didn't I read somewhere that there were over 100 million votes? and only 9 mil won it? I am gonna go have to read that article again

Ok i was off by about half....

47.8 million votes were cast in the Monster 2008 All-Star Game Final Vote.

But still, where'd the lighter fluid come from?

from the Whitesox.com newsletter:

Dear White Sox Fans,

Thank you for all of the votes and your amazing support over the past five days. While it is always a tremendous honor to be named to any All-Star team, your passionate response this week is something my family and I will never forget. In addition to thanking you all for the millions of votes, I want to express my appreciation to my teammates and the White Sox organization for all of the support. It gives me great pride to be one part of a great organization with even greater fans. I’ll use the All-Star Break to rest up, spend time with my family, and come back ready to focus on our most important goal – reaching the postseason and winning another World Series title for the city of Chicago and White Sox fans. You deserve it.

Thanks –

JD

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 05:05 AM)
Really?

Burrell has 22 HR's and a .412 OBP, there is absolutely no way Hart should be in over him. Rowands numbers are comparable (higher OBP and a far better defensive player, although less pop).

Pat Burrell was a bigger snub than JD, imo.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 10:25 AM)
Ortiz is still taking a spot, Bradley was initially on the team.

The roster is all set. If you count up the players, there's 33 including Ortiz.

Also, I think the confusion lies in that he had been injured for a while. They new he wouldn't be playing so, so they knew going in they would need an additional player. The situation you are thinking about that would have Dye being added would be if someone got injured after the roster was finalized.

Edited by Big Hurtin

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 12:15 PM)
The roster is all set. If you count up the players, there's 33 including Ortiz.

Well, considering that the AL gets to vote for a DH (one more guy than the NL), they get less reserves. So yeah...

American League

1 C Joe Mauer, MIN L/R

2 1B Kevin Youkilis, BOS R/R

3 2B Dustin Pedroia, BOS R/R

4 SS Derek Jeter, NYY R/R

5 3B Alex Rodriguez, NYY R/R

6 OF Josh Hamilton, TEX L/L

7 OF Manny Ramirez, BOS R/R

8 OF Ichiro Suzuki, SEA L/R

9 DH David Ortiz, BOSº L/L

Pitchers

Pos Player B/T

10 P Justin Duchscherer, OAK R/R

11 P Roy Halladay, TOR R/R

12 P Scott Kazmir, TB L/L

13 P Cliff Lee, CLE L/L

14 P Joe Nathan, MIN R/R

15 P Jonathan Papelbon, BOS R/R

16 P Mariano Rivera, NYY R/R

17 P Francisco Rodriguez, LAA R/R

18 P Ervin Santana, LAA R/R

19 P Joe Saunders, LAA L/L

20 P George Sherrill, BAL L/L

21 P Joakim Soria, KC R/R

Reserves

Pos Player B/T

22 C Dioner Navarro, TB S/R

23 C Jason Varitek, BOS S/R

24 1B Justin Morneau, MIN L/R

25 2B Ian Kinsler, TEX R/R

26 SS Michael Young, TEX R/R

27 3B Joe Crede, CWS R/R

28 3B Carlos Guillen, DET S/R

29 3B Evan Longoria, TB R/R

30 OF J.D. Drew, BOS L/R

31 OF Carlos Quentin, CWS R/R

32 OF Grady Sizemore, CLE L/L

33 DH Milton Bradley, TEX S/R

National League

1 C Geovany Soto, CHC S/R

2 1B Lance Berkman, HOU S/L

3 2B Chase Utley, PHI L/R

4 SS Hanley Ramirez, FLA R/R

5 3B Chipper Jones, ATL S/R

6 OF Ryan Braun, MIL R/R

7 OF Kosuke Fukudome, CHC L/R

8 OF Alfonso Soriano, CHCº R/R

Pitchers

Pos Player B/T

9 P Aaron Cook, COL R/R

10 P Ryan Dempster, CHC R/R

11 P Dan Haren, ARI R/R

12 P Brad Lidge, PHI R/R

13 P Tim Lincecum, SF L/R

14 P Ben Sheets, MIL R/R

15 P Edinson Volquez, CIN R/R

16 P Billy Wagner, NYM L/L

17 P Brandon Webb, ARI R/R

18 P Brian Wilson, SF R/R

19 P Kerry Wood, CHC R/R

20 P Carlos Zambrano, CHC S/R

Reserves

Pos Player B/T

21 C Russell Martin, LA R/R

22 C Brian McCann, ATL L/R

23 1B Adrian Gonzalez, SD L/L

24 1B Albert Pujols, STL R/R

25 2B Dan Uggla, FLA R/R

26 3B Aramis Ramirez, CHC R/R

27 SS Cristian Guzman, WAS S/R

28 SS Miguel Tejada, HOU R/R

29 OF Corey Hart, MIL R/R

30 OF Matt Holliday, COL R/R

31 OF Ryan Ludwick, STL R/L

32 OF Nate McLouth, PIT L/R

Both teams play with a final roster of 32.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 08:05 AM)
Really?

I'll give you Rowand.

However, to argue Hart is having even a comparable season to Burrell is laughable. 13 SB are worth 80 points in on-base and 70 more in slugging? Get out of here with that.

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 03:17 PM)
For those that used a real email, you get a free week of MLB.tv from July 11th - July 18th for voting. Should have an email from MLB Subscriptions in your inbox.

I used two separate emails.

If someone wants one, let me know.