Are the Cubs still the NLC favorites?

southsider2k5

Cubs are still the favorites. Are the Brewers better? No question. But even if you make the assumption that Carl Winslow will make every start for them the rest of the way, you're talking 15 or 16 starts. So only in 15 or 16 games out of the 73 the Brewers have remaining will Uncle Phil have a chance to make an impact. Now if they're able to upgrade their bullpen, something I think they will do, then things might change. But I expect the Cubs to make a move as well. The Cards aren't even worth mentioning. They've played out of their minds to this point. I don't see it lasting no matter who they're able to add.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 06:32 AM)
Cubs are still the favorites. Are the Brewers better? No question. But even if you make the assumption that Carl Winslow will make every start for them the rest of the way, you're talking 15 or 16 starts. So only in 15 or 16 games out of the 73 the Brewers have remaining will Uncle Phil have a chance to make an impact. Now if they're able to upgrade their bullpen, something I think they will do, then things might change. But I expect the Cubs to make a move as well. The Cards aren't even worth mentioning. They've played out of their minds to this point. I don't see it lasting no matter who they're able to add.

Good stuff. :lol:

certainly not the cardinals...i dont care how well that team has played thus far, i certainly dont consider them a division winning calibur team...of course a team that isnt division winning calibur is going to win the NL west as well, but the cubs are still the favorites in my opinion...best offense in the division, best bullpen in the division (and its still just a decent pen) and a deeper rotation still than the brewers

I think the Brewers can give the Chubs a run with their current team. However, if they could add a guy Ryan Rowland-Smith (2.9 ERA) from Seattle and/or Brian Fuentes (3.6 ERA, legit CP) from Colorado, then that would have to put them ahead in terms of being the favorites by 3-6 games.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 05:42 PM)
I think the Cubs are definite NLC favorites now. They just got Harden...

He's made 27 starts in 3 years. The Cubs are favorites now- in 3 weeks when he lands on the DL, they'll be behind the Brewers in terms of being the favorite.

QUOTE (Yoda @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 05:48 PM)
Even if the Cubs don't get the division they still have the Wild Card on lockdown. The NL is weak and facing an arm like Harden is not going to help the cause for the opponent.

if he's ever healthy

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 06:10 AM)
Well this thread stayed relevant long!

OK how about a subject change to...

Who got the better deal, the Cubs for Harden or the Brewers for Sabathia?

Right now it would appear the Cubs made the better overall deal because they only gave up guys they'd kind of given up on already, plus Harden is under contract for 2009.

For this season I'd say the Brewers made the better deal because they got the better pitcher, all things considered.