• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jan 16, 2010 -> 05:00 PM)
Um hmm. Evil f***ers didn't know that they needed to be marxist, or nothing.

Anti-slavery, women's suffrage, and not killing indians for fun = marxism.

Thank God we have the Republican Party to protect us from those evils. :lolhitting

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 16, 2010 -> 06:20 PM)
Anti-slavery, women's suffrage, and not killing indians for fun = marxism.

Thank God we have the Republican Party to protect us from those evils. :lolhitting

They were evil motherf***ers. You said so. I always like when people talk about the founders, all the want to do is s*** all over them and make them the evil bastards that they were. I guess that's what started the class envy, even back then. That justifies today's takeover of everything - gotta get even.

And I never put these people on a pedestal, you all mowed them down. There is a difference.

kap, the point was that just because they created an effective and stable structure for government, doesn't mean that they were infallible and allknowing. There were a lot of stupid, short-sighted compromises made to create the constitution, including one to treat slaves as 3/5s of a person. Did they say that the gov't should be responsible for health care? No, but they also had no f***ing idea what modern gov'ts could be capable of.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 12:28 AM)
kap, the point was that just because they created an effective and stable structure for government, doesn't mean that they were infallible and allknowing. There were a lot of stupid, short-sighted compromises made to create the constitution, including one to treat slaves as 3/5s of a person. Did they say that the gov't should be responsible for health care? No, but they also had no f***ing idea what modern gov'ts could be capable of.

Thanks bmags, it's good to know I didn't suddenly acquire another language in my sleep that I started inadvertently typing in.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 16, 2010 -> 05:17 PM)
There is no middle ground between hatred and deification.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 16, 2010 -> 05:47 PM)
Hi, welcome to kapkomet.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jan 16, 2010 -> 07:38 PM)
They were evil motherf***ers. You said so. I always like when people talk about the founders, all the want to do is s*** all over them and make them the evil bastards that they were. I guess that's what started the class envy, even back then. That justifies today's takeover of everything - gotta get even.

And I never put these people on a pedestal, you all mowed them down. There is a difference.

you win this round, bmags.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 16, 2010 -> 10:18 PM)
i agree.

I'm not sure I do anymore. It's a turnout election this time around - and some serious cash got laid in this week. It's entirely possible Brown peaked on Thursday, which could be a shame for him because the election wasn't Thursday, it is Tuesday.

There are a couple points to note about the polls - apparently the leaked internals were one day samples and not necessarily a three day moving average - which means that taking them at face value could be very pointless. The other thing to note is Coakley actually had a great primary GOTV plan and outperformed her poll numbers by 10 points.

I don't think you'll see her with 57 or 58 percent, but a 52-48 win is conceivable.

In a sense, I think a Coakley loss would be one of the best things for the Dems to experience as a party heading into November - because it would signify that even safe seats aren't safe if you don't work to keep them.

It would also be a great exclamation point to the fact that my party is stupid. The McGovernites who have run this party since 1972 managed to put us into a perfectly powerless position by 2004 and within four years of new party leadership from the grassroots (read: Obama, Dean) - suddenly the Democrats are competing everywhere and gained almost 15 seats in the Senate within four years and 70+ in the house since 2004.

Now that the majority was solidly built, Dean was shoved out the DNC door and more establishment types (read: Tim Kaine) get shuffled back in. Its super frustrating.

Indeed. But one thing I thought that would be clear to everyone now that a president is forcing congress to actually work, and where they stand on things actually matters, is that the whole electoral gimmick of "i'm just like you! Look, i'm wearing boots!" s*** would wash down the drain. But i guess it's still important to people.

Also Obama is looking pretty stupid for taking a lot of top talent out of senate and governorships (that could become senators) for administrative positions. It made a bunch of seats a lot more vulnerable than they should be.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 09:18 PM)
In a sense, I think a Coakley loss would be one of the best things for the Dems to experience as a party heading into November - because it would signify that even safe seats aren't safe if you don't work to keep them.

Not in the least. You know as well as I do what the Dems reaction would be, it'd be to shun everyone who tries to stand for anything and go back to following the Republican line on everything.

It's really kind of remarkable. The Republicans lose an election, and they lurch even more to the right (Palin, Limbaugh). The Dems look at losing an election, and suddenly they lurch even more to the right (why oh why did we try healthcare? aieee)

Such a strange election: apparently the Brown campaign doesn't have many volunteers so they are hiring temps to work GOTV operations.

In the meantime, there's been a huge groundswell of DEM campaign veterans going to Mass and working GOTV efforts with the Coakley campaign.

Two polls today show Brown up by 5 and a dead even tie at 48, so what happens here is anyone's guess.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 01:50 PM)
Such a strange election: apparently the Brown campaign doesn't have many volunteers so they are hiring temps to work GOTV operations.

Are you sure that's not some weird thing coming out because all of his staff are independent contractors anyway? (Reported yesterday I believe, probably so that he doesn't have to pay for his staff's health care).

all comes out to turnout.

if i read a table on-line properly, i believe that there is no early voting in MA. Is that correct?

On a side note, I voted early for the Primary here in IL on Saturday. In the first 4 hours of being open, my poll worker said about 20 ppl had stopped by to vote.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 10:52 AM)
Not in the least. You know as well as I do what the Dems reaction would be, it'd be to shun everyone who tries to stand for anything and go back to following the Republican line on everything.

It's really kind of remarkable. The Republicans lose an election, and they lurch even more to the right (Palin, Limbaugh). The Dems look at losing an election, and suddenly they lurch even more to the right (why oh why did we try healthcare? aieee)

Does every Republican win or loss, or Democrat win or loss always have to be attributed to whether or not they've swung too far to the right or too far too the left. Ugh...