• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ May 5, 2011 -> 11:04 AM)
High gas prices are saving lives. praise the messiah!

We're in a different economy! People should be driving better cars anyway! You're destroying the Earth! Rabble, rabble, rabble!

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 8, 2011 -> 09:41 PM)
Is Sarah Palin a serious presidential nominee?

I think she is scary bad.

Depends on the perspective of the person answering the question.

Liberal? yes, because (in their minds) if they keep talking as if it's true they can associate all Republicans with her to prove how dumb the GOP is.

Media? yes, because she's well known and divisive....perfect attention grabber

Conservatives/Independents likely to vote for/consider to vote for anyone not named Obama? No.

http://www.nationalreview.com/campaign-spo...gh-unemployment

President Obama, Completely Wrong on Reason for High Unemployment

May 12, 2011 9:29 A.M.

By Jim Geraghty

Tags: Barack Obama

CBS’ Mark Knoller, covering a town hall on the economy with the president this morning, reports: “President Obama blames high unemployment rate on ‘huge layoffs of government workers’ at federal, state and local levels.”

This is completely wrong. Extremely and mind-bogglingly wrong. Epically wrong.

First, let’s look at the numbers for private sector employment. All figures come from the U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics:

Recent peak of private sector employment, June 2007: 116,603,000.

Total private sector employment in the month Obama became president, January 2009: 109,084,000.

Recent low of private sector employment, January 2010: 104,933,000.

Total private sector employment, April 2011: 108,862,000.

So note, we are about 8 million away from the most recent peak in private sector employment.

Now, let’s look at total government employment (at all levels) for those four months:

June 2007: 22,176,000.

January 2009: 22,471,000.

January 2010: 22,376,000.

April 2011: 22,594,000 (preliminary).

As you can see, in terms of total number of Americans employed in government, there has been no real discernible recession. In fact, the number has increased slightly.

Now let’s look at the number of people employed in state government during these months:

June 2007: 4,918,000

January 2009: 5,116,000

January 2010: 5,053,000

April 2011: 5,253,000 (preliminary).

Again, not only pretty stable, but slowly climbing.

Now let’s look at employment in local government:

June 2007: 14,514,000

January 2009: 14,583,000

January 2010: 14,478,000

April 2011: 14,492,000 (preliminary).

Again, the numbers are stable, and even indicate that local government employment is increasing, not decreasing.

Obama is not even a little bit right. Will anyone call him out on this?

UPDATE: The full quote is here:

“The reason the unemployment rate is still as high as it is, in part, is because there have been huge layoffs of government workers at the federal level, at the state level, at the local level,” he said. “Teachers, police officers, firefighters, social workers– they have really taken it in the chin over the last several months. And so, what we’re trying to do is to see if we can stabilize the budget.”

Again, completely false. There has not been a significant reduction – or even variation, really – in the size of the government workforce at the federal, state, and local level.

Ron Paul is officially in.

Ron Paul launched his campaign for the presidency today during an appearance on “Good Morning America.”

“Today, at this moment, I’m officially announcing that I am a candidate for president in the Republican primary,” he told ABC’s George Stephanopoulos. “Time has come around to the point where people are agreeing with what I have been saying for 30 years, so I think the time is right.”

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 12, 2011 -> 02:22 PM)

Actually, after a correction, it turns out he's at least a "Little bit" right, in that government employment has been declining for the last year or so, the same time period that the private sector has been expanding.

ANOTHER UPDATE: In the comments, Reno Dave notes that in one case I used seasonally-adjusted numbers instead of non-seasonally adjusted numbers. I have added the non-seasonally-adjusted number for consistency. He notes that using the seasonally adjusted numbers, the total government workforce has varied slightly differently in the selected months:

June 2007: 22,218,000.

January 2009: 22,582,000.

January 2010: 22,488,000.

April 2011: 22,166,000 (preliminary).

You end up with 300,000 or so fewer government workers in the past 16 months. (Notice that the Census hiring effects these numbers a bit; the number of Census employees went from 24,000 in January 2010 to 564,000 in May 2010 all the way down to 1,000 in October 2010. More details here.) [National Review Online, The Campaign Spot, 5/12/11]

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 13, 2011 -> 06:34 PM)
Balta, I almost feel like you're gloating, just a little, with these Republican candidate announcements.

Sure he is, it's the only reason he posts them.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ May 13, 2011 -> 08:41 PM)
Sure he is, it's the only reason he posts them.

Yeah, no chance I'm actually interested in how it goes. Nope, gloating. I want to cuss you out for this one. Its legitimately angering me a lot. I'm not allowed to take an interest in the process. I'm a democrat so nothing I post can possibly be ingood faith, my motives always are evil and deserve to be questioned.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 13, 2011 -> 09:47 PM)
Yeah, no chance I'm actually interested in how it goes. Nope, gloating. I want to cuss you out for this one. Its legitimately angering me a lot. I'm not allowed to take an interest in the process. I'm a democrat so nothing I post can possibly be ingood faith, my motives always are evil and deserve to be questioned.

Oh please. You are a partisan posting machine. We all know better.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 13, 2011 -> 09:47 PM)

:lol:

We all know that my motives always are evil and deserve to be questioned.

I should have posted it in green. I was just pulling your chain.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ May 14, 2011 -> 10:04 AM)
:lol:

We all know that my motives always are evil and deserve to be questioned.

I should have posted it in green. I was just pulling your chain.

Ok, then I apologize for responding in anger.

I'm seriously interested in seeing how this race goes. I don't have a clue where it's going. I don't even know who's genuinely going to run. I never would have believed Gingrich would enter until he actually entered.