• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 01:56 PM)
It's also a dating of the parchment that book is made of, not necessarily a record of when the ink was put down on paper. Either way, the date range from the carbon testing fits just fine with the book being written late in Muhammad's life or within a decade or so after his death.

according to the NYT link just posted...

During the time of Muhammad, the divine message was not compiled into the book form in which it appears today, Professor Thomas said. Rather, the words believed to be from God as told to Muhammad were preserved in the “memories of men” and recited. Parts were written on parchment, stone, palm leaves and the shoulder blades of camels, he said.

What I was pointing out is that the parchment (animal skin in this case) could have been processed in lets say 500CE but not actually used until 600CE. So even if you could nail down the age of the parchment, it doesn't tell you the age of the ink--that's what you'd need to know to know when the words were actually put down. That's a trick that forgers use--they'll produce their copies of paintings on blank canvases or historical documents on parchments that date to the correct period so that it's that much harder to detect the fraud.

Either way, we still have a broad date range that covers Muhammed's entire lifespan as well as a decade or so after it. There doesn't appear to be any conflict with the dating. This is a very early example of the fragmentary written recordings that the NYT quote you posted reference. Think of them like the Dead Sea Scrolls containing parts of different Biblical stories but not actually all compiled into one book yet or the various early Christian writings and gospels that weren't canonized until a couple of hundred years later.

How come Ben Carson can't garner more support? He'd be our second African American president and he's not a politico like Obama. Why do we HAVE to have a woman? Why can't we go with Ben?? Hillary gives me great concern; Ben seems like an upstanding man with a clue.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 12:50 AM)
How come Ben Carson can't garner more support? He'd be our second African American president and he's not a politico like Obama. Why do we HAVE to have a woman? Why can't we go with Ben?? Hillary gives me great concern; Ben seems like an upstanding man with a clue.

Why would he do any better than Jimmy Carter (which wasn't very good, to be honest)?

How/why is he qualified?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 01:50 AM)

He's very smart, and pretty charismatic. He's got a great hand at bringing a crowd on board.

Also, his policy views are possibly the most extreme-right of the entire field, and when he's been asked relatively basic geography, political and governance questions, it has been clear he just knows very little about those worlds.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 09:11 AM)
He's very smart, and pretty charismatic. He's got a great hand at bringing a crowd on board.

Also, his policy views are possibly the most extreme-right of the entire field, and when he's been asked relatively basic geography, political and governance questions, it has been clear he just knows very little about those worlds.

He's also coming in 2nd place in some Iowa polling as of the last time I looked.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 01:18 PM)
The Associated Press ‏@AP 7m7 minutes ago

BREAKING: Trump signs GOP loyalty pledge to back party's 2016 nominee, forego potential third-party bid.

For whatever that is worth. The man is full of s***. I doubt it means anything to him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 01:27 PM)
For whatever that is worth. The man is full of s***. I doubt it means anything to him.

Mashable ‏@mashable 12m12 minutes ago

Trump: "I have no intention of changing my mind ... the RNC has treated me with great respect." (via @meganspecia)

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 08:48 AM)
Why would he do any better than Jimmy Carter (which wasn't very good, to be honest)?

How/why is he qualified?

He's not a politician and that is what people say they want. He's brilliant. He is the change we need. Also he's the only guy who "might" challenge the ridiculously bad choice, Hillary. In this day and age people vote superficially. African Americans "might" choose Ben over the anointment of Hillary.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 06:31 PM)
Mashable ‏@mashable 12m12 minutes ago

Trump: "I have no intention of changing my mind ... the RNC has treated me with great respect." (via @meganspecia)

Means nothing. If he doesn't get the nomination he'll just say he owes it to his legions of supporters to stay on the ballot.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 05:05 PM)
That's not the worst label he's got.

"Bush"

That's exactly what I was thinking.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 5, 2015 -> 05:16 PM)
Trump beats all of the main Dem options head to head according to this poll, including Clinton:

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presid...ry-head-to-head

I wouldn't read too terribly much into it, given all the recent results that basically flip the numbers. SurveyUSA is a good firm, though.

So we have the most transparent administration ever hiring a "transparency czar". Clinton should be paying for this stiff.

You cannot make this stuff up. This is f***ing hilarious...but don't say anything because you are racist or misogynist....

We have the former lawyer at the IRS, after disposing of all the dirt, moving over to State to cover up the dirt there. :lol: