The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 9, 2015 -> 02:01 PM)
He's a writer for Deadspin that I've been reading for years. It's in the same voice as most of his stuff. I didn't really think twice about it really, whether it was in GQ or not.

Yeah, forum is important though. I would sure hope that CNN, Fox, MSNBC, NPR, BBC or other relatively professional news sources wouldn't publish such a thing. When it appears in GQ, I don't really care.

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I listened to Trump on the Herman Cain show tonight. Folks, if our choices remain crap, why not give a businessman a shot at it? He definitely has his opinions and he definitely wants to fix the economy which none of the traditional leaders have a rat's ass chance of doing. What harm can Trump do more than the traditional candidates who all suck? He actually sounded like he had a plan. Why not give Trump a shot? If he sucks at least it'll be funny as hell and I doubt one man can single handedly bring our country to its knees. How bout a Trump-Carson ticket and victory? Again, what harm can it do? If it's not them you seriously want Hillary-Biden to run the show? Boring....

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 11, 2015 -> 01:07 AM)
I listened to Trump on the Herman Cain show tonight. Folks, if our choices remain crap, why not give a businessman a shot at it? He definitely has his opinions and he definitely wants to fix the economy which none of the traditional leaders have a rat's ass chance of doing. What harm can Trump do more than the traditional candidates who all suck? He actually sounded like he had a plan. Why not give Trump a shot? If he sucks at least it'll be funny as hell and I doubt one man can single handedly bring our country to its knees. How bout a Trump-Carson ticket and victory? Again, what harm can it do? If it's not them you seriously want Hillary-Biden to run the show? Boring....

Seriously?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 11, 2015 -> 10:19 AM)
Seriously?

Why not?

I'm not a Trump person, but that doesn't mean others cannot be...despite on a lot of "opinions" I see posted on this board disguised as fact, it's ok for others to like candidates even when you guys don't approve.

Something about this mindset bothers me.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 11, 2015 -> 09:51 AM)
Why not?

I'm not a Trump person, but that doesn't mean others cannot be...despite on a lot of "opinions" I see posted on this board disguised as fact, it's ok for others to like candidates even when you guys don't approve.

Something about this mindset bothers me.

I guess that while I can understand the "protest" mentalities undergirding support for the top 3 in the GOP now as well as Bernie Sanders or H.Ross Perot in 1992 (my father supported him instead of Bush Sr. when he broke the no new taxes pledge)...that doesn't mean at some point they won't be eaten up and spit out by the system, eventually.

Perhaps believing the GOP or Dems could never nominate an "outsider" or non-establishment candidate should bother everyone. Maybe it's better to be naively idealistic about the system changing or evolving for the good of the country.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 11, 2015 -> 02:07 AM)

True.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 11, 2015 -> 04:35 PM)
I guess that while I can understand the "protest" mentalities undergirding support for the top 3 in the GOP now as well as Bernie Sanders or H.Ross Perot in 1992 (my father supported him instead of Bush Sr. when he broke the no new taxes pledge)...that doesn't mean at some point they won't be eaten up and spit out by the system, eventually.

Perhaps believing the GOP or Dems could never nominate an "outsider" or non-establishment candidate should bother everyone. Maybe it's better to be naively idealistic about the system changing or evolving for the good of the country.

Have you listened to him? Listen to the interview with Herman Cain. He's a businessman and like I said, if there are no good candidates, why not give Donny a shot? He isn't going to bring down the USA single handedly and his business tactics might help. The Republican Congress might pass his stuff. I mean seriously, Trump vs. Hilly, what would it hurt giving Trump a shot for 4 years? We know what we get with Hilly. Trump would be entertaining at worst; an economic hero at best.

p.s. I did hear an interesting take on radio. Somebody said Trump doesn't stand a chance. The Republicans are going to find a way to doctor the numbers and ultimately get one of the traditional boring candidates in, even if they have to doctor the electronic voting illegally. They said Trump and Carson have no chance even if Bush numbers remain 5 percent and they are over 20, 30 percent. This guest said the system is totally corrupt and a scandal should, but won't ensue.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 11, 2015 -> 01:07 PM)
Have you listened to him? Listen to the interview with Herman Cain. He's a businessman and like I said, if there are no good candidates, why not give Donny a shot? He isn't going to bring down the USA single handedly and his business tactics might help. The Republican Congress might pass his stuff. I mean seriously, Trump vs. Hilly, what would it hurt giving Trump a shot for 4 years? We know what we get with Hilly. Trump would be entertaining at worst; an economic hero at best.

p.s. I did hear an interesting take on radio. Somebody said Trump doesn't stand a chance. The Republicans are going to find a way to doctor the numbers and ultimately get one of the traditional boring candidates in, even if they have to doctor the electronic voting illegally. They said Trump and Carson have no chance even if Bush numbers remain 5 percent and they are over 20, 30 percent. This guest said the system is totally corrupt and a scandal should, but won't ensue.

2012 disqualified Herman Cain from being someone with much credibility as far as I'm concerned.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 11, 2015 -> 02:07 AM)

Donald Trump has bankrupted more companies than anyone else in the race combined, I suppose that makes him the most qualified.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 11, 2015 -> 11:00 PM)
2012 disqualified Herman Cain from being someone with much credibility as far as I'm concerned.

You guys slay me. So you wouldn't listen to Cain's interview?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 12:59 AM)
Donald Trump has bankrupted more companies than anyone else in the race combined, I suppose that makes him the most qualified.

Is he not successful? The things coming out of his mouth seem OK to me.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 11, 2015 -> 07:36 PM)
You guys slay me. So you wouldn't listen to Cain's interview?

Is he not successful? The things coming out of his mouth seem OK to me.

Greg, if you are electing a President because he's a great businessman, doesn't the fact that multiple of his companies have gone through bankruptcy make you question whether he's actually a great businessman?

But the fact that he's been bankrupt 3-4 times (used the system to his advantage) and still has the money he does is testament to someone who knows how to negotiate...therefore, logically, putting himself in a tremendous position to bully Assad, Putin and the latest Kim in N. Korea.

He probably believes that on some level even.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 03:28 PM)
But the fact that he's been bankrupt 3-4 times (used the system to his advantage) and still has the money he does is testament to someone who knows how to negotiate...therefore, logically, putting himself in a tremendous position to bully Assad, Putin and the latest Kim in N. Korea.

He probably believes that on some level even.

What we have now isn't working. I'd give Trump/Carson ticket a chance. Like I said if it doesn't work, at least it's entertaining. Hillary just isn't a likeable people person. She comes across as very elitist. Give the newbies at shot at ruining everything.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 01:06 PM)
What we have now isn't working. I'd give Trump/Carson ticket a chance. Like I said if it doesn't work, at least it's entertaining. Give the newbies at shot at ruining everything.

What we have now (Robin Ventura) isn't working. I'd give Chet Coppock a chance. Like I said if it doesn't work, at least it's entertaining. Give the newbies a short at ruining everything.

See your logic? Current is bad, so let's go with an unqualified loon. Seems silly to you? That's for a manager, not the President.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 09:27 AM)
What we have now (Robin Ventura) isn't working. I'd give Chet Coppock a chance. Like I said if it doesn't work, at least it's entertaining. Give the newbies a short at ruining everything.

See your logic? Current is bad, so let's go with an unqualified loon. Seems silly to you? That's for a manager, not the President.

We already did that in 2008, see what it got us! (You set that up too good)

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 11:52 AM)
We already did that in 2008, see what it got us! (You set that up too good)

Fair enough. Though I think everyone (other than greg) sees my point. Obama, warts and all, understands policy. As do most of the other candidates. Trump (and Carson) aren't even trying to do so.

Barring some horrendous gaffe, Trump actually will win the nomination it appears. Bush's numbers remain miniscule. I can't see how Trump will screw things up, unless he's basically blocked out of the spot at the convention with Carson seen as the better of two bad choices. That will be a weird convention if Trump is the nominee cause a lot of Republicans will probably blast him. No way in hell respected Republican pundits will admit to supporting Donald Trump. How the hell is Donald Trump gonna form a consensus that's he's Da Man? There will be people at the convention going on national TV blasting their own nominee.

This would be a good time for a third party to enter the scene and make some waves.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 02:14 PM)
Barring some horrendous gaffe, Trump actually will win the nomination it appears. Bush's numbers remain miniscule. I can't see how Trump will screw things up, unless he's basically blocked out of the spot at the convention with Carson seen as the better of two bad choices. That will be a weird convention if Trump is the nominee cause a lot of Republicans will probably blast him. No way in hell respected Republican pundits will admit to supporting Donald Trump. How the hell is Donald Trump gonna form a consensus that's he's Da Man? There will be people at the convention going on national TV blasting their own nominee.

This would be a good time for a third party to enter the scene and make some waves.

Remember, again, the people leading polls prior to the first caucus/primaries almost never win the nomination. We forget this because of the media cycle, but we are still very early in all of this.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 07:22 PM)
And people still think it's a good idea to let the govt handle our entire healthcare system.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/20/politics/vet...tals/index.html

The government is not handling our entire healthcare system. Any while some people may believe that it is a good idea for them to take over every hospital and medical facility in America (like they run the VA), it isn't many people. The government under the ACA is not delivering the care, only providing the economic help for people to actually pay for a portion of their healthcare. With the VA the government is actually running the hospitals. As the system switches over and insurance becomes the norm, we could conceivable abandon the VA system and have the veterans use the same hospitals and health care system as everyone else.

The difference between the two is Blue Cross doesn't run hospitals and hospitals are not insurance companies. Same witj the ACA and the VA. Two very different roles.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 26, 2015 -> 09:10 AM)
Remember, again, the people leading polls prior to the first caucus/primaries almost never win the nomination. We forget this because of the media cycle, but we are still very early in all of this.

As candidates suspend their campaigns and free up their delegates to other candidates I believe a different candidate will emerge.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 26, 2015 -> 10:01 AM)
The government is not handling our entire healthcare system. Any while some people may believe that it is a good idea for them to take over every hospital and medical facility in America (like they run the VA), it isn't many people. The government under the ACA is not delivering the care, only providing the economic help for people to actually pay for a portion of their healthcare. With the VA the government is actually running the hospitals. As the system switches over and insurance becomes the norm, we could conceivable abandon the VA system and have the veterans use the same hospitals and health care system as everyone else.

The difference between the two is Blue Cross doesn't run hospitals and hospitals are not insurance companies. Same witj the ACA and the VA. Two very different roles.

But the whole problem with the VA comes down to money. Money to pay staff, to manage staff, to pay for treatment, etc. It's all subject to a budget, which is of course dictated by the government and argued over by politicians. Even if we end up on a Medicare-like program, we're still running on a "private" system that is beholden to the government for payment. Once you go down that route, the government is, in effect, running the show since it can dictate the rules by which various doctors and clinics and hospitals can be paid.

If you want to go on that system and wait 5 months for an operation and die in the mean time, go for it. That's your right. Don't force me on it. That's all i'm saying.