The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

The immigration policy for Cubans is vastly different than what most immigrants face. Its far easier to become a citizen as a cuban immigrant due to the 1966 Cuban Adjustment Act. So its unclear how other ethnic groups would see Rubio because in my experience other immigrants generally do not like Cubans because they perceive Cubans as being given special treatment.

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 29, 2015 -> 06:51 PM)
Why is the legal definition of a multibillion dollar gambling business a joke? They just found out that employees of these companies are basically using insider information to game the system, this is not a joke.

You want to know why Christie wants it to be thought of as a joke? Because of the gambling in his state.

well you may have a point.

but unless Christie states it in ref to legalize gambling or anything like that, then i don't see it being a valid question.

i am not reading into any questions except for what is exactly asked.

it is just me.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 29, 2015 -> 12:55 PM)
well you may have a point.

but unless Christie states it in ref to legalize gambling or anything like that, then i don't see it being a valid question.

i am not reading into any questions except for what is exactly asked.

it is just me.

Congressional committees have been formed to look into whether daily fantasy sites should continue to be allowed, or if they should be categorized as gambling. The FBI and the Justice Department are doing their own investigations. Because they are a multi-billion dollar industry that is under scrutiny by Washington, the issue is relevant to a Presidential debate.

Jeb Bush turned the question into a joke by talking about his 7-0 fantasy football team - entirely different than the DFS issue and therefore not relevant to the question. Then Christie exploded about how ISIS and Al-Qaida are more important than fantasy football (again, ignoring the issues with DFS sites which is what the question specifically referenced) and everybody said, "what a dumb question!"

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Oct 29, 2015 -> 08:13 PM)
Congressional committees have been formed to look into whether daily fantasy sites should continue to be allowed, or if they should be categorized as gambling. The FBI and the Justice Department are doing their own investigations. Because they are a multi-billion dollar industry that is under scrutiny by Washington, the issue is relevant to a Presidential debate.

Jeb Bush turned the question into a joke by talking about his 7-0 fantasy football team - entirely different than the DFS issue and therefore not relevant to the question. Then Christie exploded about how ISIS and Al-Qaida are more important than fantasy football (again, ignoring the issues with DFS sites which is what the question specifically referenced) and everybody said, "what a dumb question!"

hey many thanks for the explanation and all. it is appreciated.

but i wish it was frame or ask in a better way. to really hit the subject without interpretion.

for me and my opinion, remember it is me. this goes to prove the reasoning of individual sound box. lets see how these candidates stand without having help from a answer from a previous individual.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 29, 2015 -> 12:51 PM)
Why is the legal definition of a multibillion dollar gambling business a joke? They just found out that employees of these companies are basically using insider information to game the system, this is not a joke.

You want to know why Christie wants it to be thought of as a joke? Because of the gambling in his state.

It's a joke because the PRESIDENT shouldn't be concerning himself over a relatively small problem like daily fantasy sports. That's why we have state governments and federal departments and, I dunno, f***ing Congress that investigates and legislates these sorts of issues.

This is precisely why our system is so f***ed up. We expect this one person to magically solve all the world's problems. He's one f***ing guy. And 99% of the time, he doesn't do s*** to effectuate change. He's a poster boy. He gives speeches. I'd vote for the next candidate that says "i'm going to step back and let Congress decide wtf to do in this country. I'll worry about how we look and how we interact with our allies. Everything else i'll just help enforce."

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 29, 2015 -> 02:45 PM)
It's a joke because the PRESIDENT shouldn't be concerning himself over a relatively small problem like daily fantasy sports. That's why we have state governments and federal departments and, I dunno, f***ing Congress that investigates and legislates these sorts of issues.

This is precisely why our system is so f***ed up. We expect this one person to magically solve all the world's problems. He's one f***ing guy. And 99% of the time, he doesn't do s*** to effectuate change. He's a poster boy. He gives speeches. I'd vote for the next candidate that says "i'm going to step back and let Congress decide wtf to do in this country. I'll worry about how we look and how we interact with our allies. Everything else i'll just help enforce."

But but, several of the candidates told me that if they were elected I would know my neighbors better and my sense of community would be improved. Oh and I would never get divorced.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 29, 2015 -> 02:45 PM)

But that isnt the reality. Its important to know what the President thinks because he can do things like "veto" legislation, he can tell the AG how to enforce policy, etc.

It would be like saying asking about marijuana legalization is a stupid question because it should be up the legislature. And really, isnt the more terrifying part that the idea of limited federal govt is pretty much dead?

And really thats a huge problem. It seems no one even cares about state/federal rights, unless its in their favor.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Oct 29, 2015 -> 09:54 AM)
When did you think the moderators were flat out lying? I saw the critique of the tax question to Rubio (a bad question, granted). Whether the moderator was lying regarding that question comes down to interpretation though. The Conservative tax foundation gave the largest benefits under Rubio's plan to the bottom 10%, but the top 1% see the second largest benefit under the Plan. The question was bad, don't get me wrong, but I'm not sure it was a lie. A graph of benefits by income level is in the link below.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/10/29...onds-with-this/

Ultimately, though, I agree with you. Lots of bad questions. The opening question in particular was absolutely awful (what's your biggest weakness?).

On Rubio, I tend to agree. I'd also like to hear how he plans to make up the $6T in revenue the cuts produce. For a debate that was supposed to focus on the economy, I'd have liked to actually heard the candidates discuss, I don't know, economic policy?

I'll go to the easiest lie of the bunch...the debate was changed from 3 hours to 2 hours...it was not always scheduled to be 2 hours. Trump almost blew a gasket when the jackass responded to that.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 29, 2015 -> 08:44 PM)
But that isnt the reality. Its important to know what the President thinks because he can do things like "veto" legislation, he can tell the AG how to enforce policy, etc.

It would be like saying asking about marijuana legalization is a stupid question because it should be up the legislature. And really, isnt the more terrifying part that the idea of limited federal govt is pretty much dead?

And really thats a huge problem. It seems no one even cares about state/federal rights, unless its in their favor.

you got a point, i think people in general really don't know a lot of about the difference.

i have a friend who teaches advance hs Social Studies and History, he told me that a majority of his students failed the 1 test he gave to gage their common educational knowledge. the point is, as someone earlier posted, these debates are for show.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 29, 2015 -> 10:51 AM)

I think part of it is, it isn't necessarily an issue everyone would be up to speed with. I thought Bush's response was fine, but I think their are far more pressing questions to be asked during a presidential debate. I thought a lot of the questions were plain awful. It was like back in the recession when we had politicians busy dealing with the steroid issue in baseball...I'm sorry, that issue shouldn't have been getting that sort of attention when we had far more pressing needs as a country.

By the way, I have zero idea how this fanduel stuff is legal. I don't buy the "skill" argument but I'm not an expert in the arena. If you could argue fantasy a skill I would think you could make the same argument about sports betting. The reason fantasy football works well is that you don't have a middle man controlling the money so it is just done for fun with small cash by people who know each other (kind of like your neighborhood poker game).

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 29, 2015 -> 10:51 AM)

If that was the case, Rubio wouldn't have answered the way he did. He basically said just let them play. His answer may not have been the best but the point was it was a dumbass question and I agree.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 29, 2015 -> 11:13 AM)
The immigration policy for Cubans is vastly different than what most immigrants face. Its far easier to become a citizen as a cuban immigrant due to the 1966 Cuban Adjustment Act. So its unclear how other ethnic groups would see Rubio because in my experience other immigrants generally do not like Cubans because they perceive Cubans as being given special treatment.

Ok...so I'm going to guess most people in the country, immigrants included, would not know this. Maybe I was born here but I've never thought of it nor have I ever even heard of the 1966 Cuban adjustment act so maybe I'm just ignorant but I feel this whole post is a giant stretch given how uninformed the typical voting public (& evidently me as well) is.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 29, 2015 -> 08:53 PM)
Ok...so I'm going to guess most people in the country, immigrants included, would not know this. Maybe I was born here but I've never thought of it nor have I ever even heard of the 1966 Cuban adjustment act so maybe I'm just ignorant but I feel this whole post is a giant stretch given how uninformed the typical voting public (& evidently me as well) are.

you make a excellent point.

it isn't that your ignorant on it, there are so many changes that has happen in this last century that many do not know.

here is the perfect example ..... women rights and vote. now many has said they thought it was in the late 60's early 70's.... but it wasn't it was in 1919-1920. the subject must mean something to the individual.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 29, 2015 -> 01:45 PM)

You're right. It's totally not important to know the policy positions of Presidential candidates on relevant topics in Washington...

He's one guy who wields veto power over everything that comes through the legislature. He's one guy who dictates all policy in the executive branch. He's a pretty damn important guy....

Again - this is a multi-billion dollar industry that the government attempt to shut down. The executive can certainly clear some of the regulatory uncertainty surrounding that industry...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 29, 2015 -> 03:15 PM)
Mostly because people want theater anymore. No one wants intelligent discussion, and respectful debate. By and large the general public consumes news somewhere between a meme and tweet of length.

So glad to see the media getting bashed today for its disgraceful attempt to coronate Hillary last night. How can the national political media get away with being like this?? Why didn't they just wear Vote For Hillary buttons on their shirts? What is going on? Hopefully that moderator's career is ruined by his disgraceful performance. Hopefully the Democratic media questioners' tactics backfired and their careers are shot. The political reporters are so biased it's unbelievable. I wish they'd just start each question, "As a Hillary supporter, I'd like to ask you this" and go on with their question from there.

It's funny cause the other media can't really rip last night's moderators cause they approve of the mission: To systematically end the campaigns of all those inferior Republican candidates. Sickening job, media. Appalling.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 29, 2015 -> 03:44 PM)

100% agree on that.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Oct 29, 2015 -> 03:59 PM)
You're right. It's totally not important to know the policy positions of Presidential candidates on relevant topics in Washington...

He's one guy who wields veto power over everything that comes through the legislature. He's one guy who dictates all policy in the executive branch. He's a pretty damn important guy....

Again - this is a multi-billion dollar industry that the government attempt to shut down. The executive can certainly clear some of the regulatory uncertainty surrounding that industry...

He doesn't HAVE to be though. We just keep making that position more and more important. Like he has to be the one championing X legislation before it can be done.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 29, 2015 -> 03:11 PM)
He doesn't HAVE to be though. We just keep making that position more and more important. Like he has to be the one championing X legislation before it can be done.

He is LITERALLY one-third of the branches of the federal government. If I'm remembering my civics right, that means that this one guy has always had the power to veto legislation passed by the majority of 535 people in the chamber below him.

At what point in our nation's history did the Office of the Presidency NOT dictate policy at every level of the federal government?

Both the Roosevelts would be ashamed at what the office has become...

Let's blame it all on Nixon/Watergate, the media, polarization of politics since the Reagan/Tip O'Neill years and just the general lack of respect (you lie!) that has been increasing over the last 20-30 years...the almost visceral hate opponents have towards Clinton, Bush, Obama, etc.

When I was growing up, I always heard how important it was to respect the office of the presidency, even if you personally disagreed with his/her politics.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 29, 2015 -> 03:53 PM)
Ok...so I'm going to guess most people in the country, immigrants included, would not know this. Maybe I was born here but I've never thought of it nor have I ever even heard of the 1966 Cuban adjustment act so maybe I'm just ignorant but I feel this whole post is a giant stretch given how uninformed the typical voting public (& evidently me as well) is.

Well there is a reason why we have an electoral vote and not a popular vote, and that is because some of our founding fathers didnt trust regular people to make informed decisions.

The only reason I brought it up is because a lot of people equate Cuban immigrants with Latin American immigrants, when its not the same. Cuban's have a special rule that if they get to the US they are automatically granted residence in the US. It's commonly referred to as "wet foot, dry foot". If they are caught at sea they are sent back to Cuba, if they make it to the US, they get to stay. Prior to 1995 if they were caught at sea they were still brought to the US. Thus a Cuban who enters the US is never an "illegal immigrant."

This is completely different than if a Mexican immigrant crosses the border. Many illegal immigrants (especially in Florida) harbor deep resentment to Cuban's because Cuban immigrants never have to worry about being considered "illegal".

But this will never be discussed at any debate because no one really cares about facts or the hypocritical nature of the US immigration policy, nor the fact that immigration restriction goes against basic market capitalism.

Its really why all of this is meaningless because our country has been reduced to catch phrases and memes.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Oct 29, 2015 -> 04:25 PM)
He is LITERALLY one-third of the branches of the federal government. If I'm remembering my civics right, that means that this one guy has always had the power to veto legislation passed by the majority of 535 people in the chamber below him.

At what point in our nation's history did the Office of the Presidency NOT dictate policy at every level of the federal government?

I'm not suggesting that the President NEVER had any power. Obviously he did/does, it's right there in the Constitution. However, the executive has grown immensely over the years. War time powers, executive privilege, decisions on when to enforce or when not to enforce laws, etc. And my main gripe is really the last 25 years or so with the rise in cable news. Every decision seems to begin and end with a speech by the President.

edit: I had read most of this years ago. http://www.amazon.com/Presidential-Power-U...n/dp/0393064883 I think the authors would probably agree basically nothing has changed in the last 7-8 years.

edit 2: and when I said the President doesn't do anything to effectuate change, I mean on big issues they campaign over. Like when there are promises about the economy or poverty or crime or whatever. That's all just bulls***. They basically luck into or out of it.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 29, 2015 -> 11:56 PM)
Well there is a reason why we have an electoral vote and not a popular vote, and that is because some of our founding fathers didnt trust regular people to make informed decisions.

The only reason I brought it up is because a lot of people equate Cuban immigrants with Latin American immigrants, when its not the same. Cuban's have a special rule that if they get to the US they are automatically granted residence in the US. It's commonly referred to as "wet foot, dry foot". If they are caught at sea they are sent back to Cuba, if they make it to the US, they get to stay. Prior to 1995 if they were caught at sea they were still brought to the US. Thus a Cuban who enters the US is never an "illegal immigrant."

This is completely different than if a Mexican immigrant crosses the border. Many illegal immigrants (especially in Florida) harbor deep resentment to Cuban's because Cuban immigrants never have to worry about being considered "illegal".

But this will never be discussed at any debate because no one really cares about facts or the hypocritical nature of the US immigration policy, nor the fact that immigration restriction goes against basic market capitalism.

Its really why all of this is meaningless because our country has been reduced to catch phrases and memes.

you make an excellent point esp in the bold sentence. now i will answer one part, b/c i am not qualified to answer all.

the founding father also made what is called checks and balances. so again one person or group can't pass or make a law that is detriment to the society of the, then the society of americans.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 30, 2015 -> 02:50 AM)
I'm not suggesting that the President NEVER had any power. Obviously he did/does, it's right there in the Constitution. However, the executive has grown immensely over the years. War time powers, executive privilege, decisions on when to enforce or when not to enforce laws, etc. And my main gripe is really the last 25 years or so with the rise in cable news. Every decision seems to begin and end with a speech by the President.

i am with you on most, except for this post.

do you really think the president has more power????

i think it is the opposite and congress, if united can lock down the government.