If you won the lottery...

whitesoxbrian

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jul 12, 2008 -> 09:47 AM)
Then I would buy a fleet of H1 Hummers and me and my friends would drive around and go to gas stations and fill them up all the time and laugh at everyone struggling with gas prices and possibly even have gasoline fights Zoolander style.

:lol: That's awesome. One of maybe 5 message board posts that has ever made me literally laugh out loud... Just envisioning that is hilarious.

Oh, and back to topic of this thread. If I won the lottery, I'd buy a used 2006 Chevy Tahoe since that is my favorite car of all time, but don't like the post-2006 look. Kinda crazy, right? Everyone thinks I'm nuts when I say I'd buy a Tahoe and not some ridiculous sports car or something, but truthfully, I've wanted a Tahoe since I was 14 and that's all I'd want. I'd give a bunch to my family members and buy a house. Save/Invest the rest...

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 12, 2008 -> 10:34 AM)
No way I'd want to win 300M. Life = ruined.

I'd honestly rather win 1 million. You could do that and move on with life, and it would be a good life.

One mil ain't what it used to be, I can spend that in a few hours.

I'd take 3 mil, spend 1, invest 1, save 1.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jul 12, 2008 -> 10:50 PM)
:lol: That's awesome. One of maybe 5 message board posts that has ever made me literally laugh out loud... Just envisioning that is hilarious.

Oh, and back to topic of this thread. If I won the lottery, I'd buy a used 2006 Chevy Tahoe since that is my favorite car of all time, but don't like the post-2006 look. Kinda crazy, right? Everyone thinks I'm nuts when I say I'd buy a Tahoe and not some ridiculous sports car or something, but truthfully, I've wanted a Tahoe since I was 14 and that's all I'd want. I'd give a bunch to my family members and buy a house. Save/Invest the rest...

Funny you should mention that, because the car I'd buy would be an 2007 Volvo S80. Otherwise, I'd pay off all mortgages, debts, tuitions, etc. for the immediate family. Buy a nice house somewhere in the suburbs for the family. Then I'd buy a large property somewhere in the Midwest or Saskatchewan for hunting. I'd donate a nice chunk to charities and foundations I like, and would spend the rest to buy out PETA and then destroy it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2008 -> 09:36 PM)
I am the one guy on Soxtalk who could honestly say that money wouldn't change me... I have always been a pretentious, egotistical, asshole... What's to change?

Now you're just being self-deprecating - anyone who posts pictures of and gushes about his kid like you do ain't that much of an asshole.

Money would just make me feel like I could say whatever I want to whomever I want.

It's probably better for me never to have that much money, I'd likely end up getting shot or something.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jul 13, 2008 -> 06:49 AM)
Now you're just being self-deprecating - anyone who posts pictures of and gushes about his kid like you do ain't that much of an asshole.

Money would just make me feel like I could say whatever I want to whomever I want.

It's probably better for me never to have that much money, I'd likely end up getting shot or something.

I think almost anybody that got that kind of money that quickly would change for the worse. To be honest, Im not that concerned about what other people think as it is but if I had this kind of money I know it would be bad. I honestly would just ddo whatever I wanted until everyone I met hated me and then move to another country and start all over agin.

1) Everyone will know. It becomes public knowledge. I'd be hard to avoid it.

2) I'd do a series of things. I would assume that of the $300 million, I'd end up with $180 million after taxes.

Pay off my college loans, all my friends college loans, and my parents mortgage. (Maybe I'll be nice and by my sister a house ;))

Next, I'd probably "retire", move to Iowa (near Iowa city) and buy 50+ acres and a farm house. By retire, I mean I'd work for cheap at a radio station, or maybe volunteer my time at a local church r churches to help them with their A/V needs

That should leave me with $178 million. Put one million away for my kids college and future inheritance.

I can live VERY comfortably on $100,000 a year especially if you already have house payed off. So, I project I'll live another 50 years or so. That's what? 5 million? So, $173 million left to use.

Charity Charity Charity...... the church/school i work for would have the coolest, most advanced gym ever.

PS: yes, I have actually thought all this through before. There is more than what I posted, i just gave the generics.

Oh and byt the way: SoxTalk.com would never have to pay another server bill ever ;)

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 12, 2008 -> 09:34 AM)
No way I'd want to win 300M. Life = ruined.

I disagree. It's all in how you spend use it.

My kids would never know we had $180 million in the bank until they were in HS. We wouldnt live lavishly. Although, my TV room would be one kickass theater.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 13, 2008 -> 01:25 PM)
1) Everyone will know. It becomes public knowledge. I'd be hard to avoid it.

I don't recall the specifics, but there are ways around disclosing your identity during the initial press conference (which is required for anyone winning the lottery). I'm sure it'll eventually get out -- especially when you consider the gas station where the ticket was sold is publicized, and people may become suspicious when someone suddenly is purchasing items out of their means.

I've always had this idea that, if I couldn't get around remaining anonymous on my own, I'd somehow make contact with a rich individual (such as Donald Trump) and propose an idea that if he can locate someone willing to come forward both him and the mystery individual can have a sizable share of the winnings. I'm sure he'd listen. For example, if roughly $100 million were available after taxes I'd propose 40 million for person #1, 20 million for Trump and 40 million for myself. I'd have a substantial amount of money and (hopefully) NO connections to myself.

What I'd do with the money is live well, but not extravagantly. To be honest, and this sounds terrible, but I wouldn't tell anyone -- especially friends or anyone outside my immediate family. I'd hate to question the relationship I have with a woman because she knows, through friends of friends, that I have money. Regarding family, both sides are rather large (Dad-- 9 brothers/sisters; Mom -- 8 brothers/sisters). When my paternal grandfather died in 1990 there were issues among some family members regarding his estate. Even if I gave everyone the same amount of money, I'm sure there would still be problems. And on my mom's side, there are several people who would only squander their money and then continue to ask for more.

My big plan would be to construct a modest house (probably around $500,000), purchase a boat, and locate a vacation home around Lake Michigan or Lake Geneva. It's interesting that I haven't read anyone suggest what they'd do about work. Personally, I believe I'd still be a police officer somewhere. After awhile sitting around would grow old, and I'm sure people would be suspicious of how I could afford everything when I don't work.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

I've thought about this before. I don't want to ever be known as a "rich guy." I don't want to change anything about the way I live, except for having a bigger house. That's probably the hardest part right there. In any case the first thing I'd do is pay off my current mortgage and car loan, and look for a bigger house, no more than, say, 1.5M (that sounds pretty extravagant, but this is the East Coast, so it's not). I'd pay my parents' mortgage and give them some cash to let them finally retire, then get my brothers and sisters houses. I have a massive family so I'd have to find a way to be semi-discreet about it, and I'd also have to figure out how to keep my wife off these massive spending sprees, which will probably be the second hardest thing to do lol.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jul 12, 2008 -> 09:47 AM)
You dont need three hundred million to do two chicks at the same time.

Look at my cousin man... He's broke, don't do s***.

I'd make sure my parents, brother and sisters and nieces and nephews had everything they needed. I would invest some of it. I'd go on a NICE vacation. I'd continue going to school and working though.

Edited by Whitewashed in '05

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jul 13, 2008 -> 05:49 AM)

That was mostly tongue in cheek :)

How many others would include some sort of tithe? I wouldn't do a "true" one as none would go to any official church, but I would make sure that 10% of the money got out to my favorite charitable organizations. The big thing I would want to do is establish a scholarship fund for incoming kindergardeners in my hometown. With the high poverty rate we have, our school system has a hard time convincing kids that they are ever going to be more than their parents are, which is about as sad as it comes. They have no interest in school, or anything after that part of their life, so they do awful and fail. They drop out and it becomes self-fullfilling prophecy. I'd really try to break that cycle. Kids would walk into our school system knowing a golden ticket out was on the other side.

Then I would have our mayor roughed up in a back alley somewhere for being such a tool.

OK maybe not that last part.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Jul 13, 2008 -> 09:39 PM)
Look at my cousin man... He's broke, don't do s***.

I'd make sure my parents, brother and sisters and nieces and nephews had everything they needed. I would invest some of it. I'd go on a NICE vacation. I'd continue going to school and working though.

Thanks for keeping office space alive.

The tough part would be helping out family and friends, yet not giving everything away. If you help you're parents, well then you have to help your siblings and if you help your parents, well you have to help your grandparents and.....and cousins....and then there's HER side of the family.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 11:25 AM)
The tough part would be helping out family and friends, yet not giving everything away. If you help you're parents, well then you have to help your siblings and if you help your parents, well you have to help your grandparents and.....and cousins....and then there's HER side of the family.

I have TOO MANY COUSINS for that. In fact I don't even know them all, but I would bet my life that if enough people in my family found out, they'd all come crawling out of the woodwork.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 09:31 AM)
I have TOO MANY COUSINS for that. In fact I don't even know them all, but I would bet my life that if enough people in my family found out, they'd all come crawling out of the woodwork.

Yep family suddenly gets big when you come across that kind of loot. It really is a help all or help none situation.