Sox Interested in Duchscherer

Chisoxfn

According to a few reports here in the bay area today, not to sure if this was reported in Chicago but the Sox had several scouts at the A's game yesterday to scout Justin Duchscherer and started talk with the A's.

Saw this over at WSI and figured I'd post it over here. It would be very interesting and the Sox/A's obviously have a history of dealing with each other (both GM's have some of the biggest ego's in baseball). Still, you would be talking about getting a starter who has been downright dominant this season.

The only question I ask is do the Sox have enough to acquire him (prospect wise) and how much of a chance are they taking on the fact that they are buying a guy while he's at his highest market value.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 03:08 PM)
Saw this over at WSI and figured I'd post it over here. It would be very interesting and the Sox/A's obviously have a history of dealing with each other (both GM's have some of the biggest ego's in baseball). Still, you would be talking about getting a starter who has been downright dominant this season.

The only question I ask is do the Sox have enough to acquire him (prospect wise) and how much of a chance are they taking on the fact that they are buying a guy while he's at his highest market value.

Hey, thats two questions and you said you only had one.

In regards to the prospects, I think KW can swing it, Beane covets lots of prospects that others ignore, and recently he has been going after a lot of Sox prospects(Cunningham, Carter, Gonzalez, Sweeney), so who knows which prospects Beane is looking at and wants.

In regards to taking Duchserer at his highest value, if he performs well does it matter?

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 03:17 PM)
I like the fact the Sox are looking for an upgrade in the rotation, but I don't like that it's Duchscherer.

1.His value has never been higher. Ever. Not the most ideal time to trade for a guy.

2. I know people think Beane "gave away" Harden to the Cubs, but it was a solid package, the Cubs were just deep enough to be able to trade pieces that didn't hurt their club.

3.Duch is at 108 IP right now. The last time he threw that many innings was in AAA in 03. I don't know if I trust his arm in the 2nd half.

Do you trust Jose's arm in the 2nd half? I sure don't.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 04:18 PM)
Do you trust Jose's arm in the 2nd half? I sure don't.

So give up on a SP in whom you don't trust his arm for another? Good logic. :bang

I think it'd be a solid pickup. Like Tony said though, we'd probably have to give them a lot. Contreras, Paulie, Cabrera, etc.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 03:20 PM)
So give up on a SP in whom you don't trust his arm for another? Good logic. :bang

I think it'd be a solid pickup. Like Tony said though, we'd probably have to give them a lot. Contreras, Paulie, Cabrera, etc.

Why in the world would any team want Contreras with his huge contract? Or even Paulie? They're trying to unload salary and pick up young, cheap players. :bang

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 03:08 PM)

Jesus Christ. Billy's not that stupid, is he?

We'd have to give up the whole farm for somebody like Duchscherer.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 03:25 PM)
I'd guess something along the lines of Poreda and Shelby, as well as Broadway/Egbert/Soxtalk.com

Hey, if we can get ourselves another ace, I'd risk this website! Wouldn't you?

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 03:23 PM)
Instead of just posting negatively about everyones' posts, why don't you post what you think they'd want?

well its pretty safe to assume that not a team on the planet will take Contrerass or PK. The sox aren't gonna move OC which they are renting for this season anyway. The only way this gets done is gutting whats left of the farm system.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 04:25 PM)
Where did I say I didn't trust Duchscherer's arm?

I never said you didn't trust it. But to give up Contreras (arm questions) for Duchscherer (arm questions) wouldn't make much sense.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 04:28 PM)
Instead of posting over 35 posts a day, why don't you think before you post?

The last thing Oakland wants is bloated contracts. Even with there spot in the standings, they are rebuilding. They want young, cheap talent that will be around for a while. Contreras as no value to a rebuilding team, right now the Konerko contract is an albatross(even though I think he is going to turn it around), and Cabrera is an expiring contract(but has value to the Sox). This isn't the NBA.

It's under 30. Nice try, though. I like how you bash me for it but never fathom who has 27 posts per day.

Thanks, and that's all you needed to say. I know, it was so much to ask for.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

Got to like a guy with a 1.82 ERA as a starter. He's a very proven reliever but another question that pops up (Question #3) is how he will handle all these innings. He missed a good chunk of last season with injuries and has never went more than 96 innings at the major league level (prior to this season).

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 04:13 PM)
Hey, thats two questions and you said you only had one.

In regards to the prospects, I think KW can swing it, Beane covets lots of prospects that others ignore, and recently he has been going after a lot of Sox prospects(Cunningham, Carter, Gonzalez, Sweeney), so who knows which prospects Beane is looking at and wants.

In regards to taking Duchserer at his highest value, if he performs well does it matter?

Those spects you mentioned were ones that everyone coveted. Beane would probably want our tops guys at least. Duch is leading the freakin AL in ERA and is a Cy Young Favorite. I dont think we have the bullets.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 01:20 PM)

We really can't compare Jose Contreras and the guy that leads the majors in starters ERA.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 04:30 PM)
I never said you didn't trust it. But to give up Contreras (arm questions) for Duchscherer (arm questions) wouldn't make much sense.

Makes sense to me. The guy is about 38 years younger than Jose and can actually pitch well.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 01:23 PM)
Instead of just posting negatively about everyones' posts, why don't you post what you think they'd want?

Lance Broadway

John Shelby

Josh Fields (I know they have Chavez, but he obviously has some talent and could play LF or 1B)

Haeger

Poreda

Egbert

Wasserman

That would just be a few guys that he could have interest in