Sox Interested in Duchscherer

Chisoxfn

News on the Duke:

April 26, 2008 Removed from 15-day DL

April 08, 2008 Placed on 15-day DL (Strained right biceps)

October 08, 2007 Removed from 60-day DL

July 12, 2007 Transferred to 60-day DL

May 30, 2007 Recalled from minors rehab

May 28, 2007 Sent to minors for rehabilitation

May 22, 2007 Placed on 15-day DL (Right hip surgery - out for season)

June 23, 2006 Recalled from minors rehab

June 23, 2006 Removed from 15-day DL

June 19, 2006 Sent to minors for rehabilitation

May 13, 2006 Placed on 15-day DL (Right elbow tendinitis)

Sure, he'd be an upgrade, but for how long?

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope there's another team out there that would surrender more than the Sox for Duchscherer. Not a fan of his at all, and it's been touched on too: injury concerns, the park adjustment, and what it would cost. If you are going to acquire another starter, make it Blanton, but I'm not sure I even want that. And further, if you do acquire a starter, do you just automatically move Contreras to the bullpen or what, exactly? I'm a bit confused in that regard too.

As of right now, the only move or two I would make would be to add another powerful bat to the bench - Casey Blake sounds wonderful - and acquire a 6th starter type (and that's merely if you don't trust Broadway/Egbert/Haeger/Richard...I don't, so I'd acquire one). Miguel Batista has the numbers and game to do so, but he has a terribly ugly contract ($9 mill this year, $9 mill next year), Bronson Arroyo might be OK if it doesn't cost too much, and Odalis Perez could be a nice pick up. Regardless, someone like that would be my addition and I'd keep the ship going strong. This team doesn't need a big pickup at all to keep the ship rolling.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 03:17 PM)
2. I know people think Beane "gave away" Harden to the Cubs, but it was a solid package, the Cubs were just deep enough to be able to trade pieces that didn't hurt their club.

How does that statement support Beane's move? "It was a solid package"??? Whether the Cubs were deep enough or not to make the trade has nothing to do with what Beane got back, at least in the context you put it in.

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 05:36 AM)
I don't know why you all think we'd move Fields....

We shouldn't considering Joe's contract situation, but I think if you want either Blanton or Duchscherer, you'd probably have to give up Fields to get a deal done.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 08:55 AM)
As many have already said, Duchscherer is having a phenomenal year but how long will it last? I think going after him is just incredibly risky and I'm not so sure I'd support it. If want a pitching upgrade, I'd much prefer going in another direction.

There are few, if any, pitchers that are upgrades over Contreras still. He has had some bad outings that has inflated his ERA. As much as I dislike Contreras right now, Burnett can be just as fickle, same with Cabrera and basically every other pitcher available. IMO, Duchscherer is the only steady guy out there, maybe Bedard too, but he's injured.

I actually think if you went out and signed Garcia if he was healthy, the Sox should target an upgrade at an OF (Jason Bay?) spot possibly (but then what do you do with Konerko I guess, because Swisher would most likely move to 1B).

But that's the thing where the Sox are at right now. They don't DESPERATELY need anything. The rotation for the most part has been good (except for Vaz and JC in the last month), the bullpen has been excellent (but has faltered a little lately), while the offense is beginning to heat up.

Right now, I think standing pat as we did in 2005, is very well what we could end up doing, or just making a minor move to improve a bench spot maybe.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 09:57 AM)
I actually think if you went out and signed Garcia if he was healthy, the Sox should target an upgrade at an OF (Jason Bay?) spot possibly (but then what do you do with Konerko I guess, because Swisher would most likely move to 1B).

But that's the thing where the Sox are at right now. They don't DESPERATELY need anything. The rotation for the most part has been good (except for Vaz and JC in the last month), the bullpen has been excellent (but has faltered a little lately), while the offense is beginning to heat up.

Right now, I think standing pat as we did in 2005, is very well what we could end up doing, or just making a minor move to improve a bench spot maybe.

who plays center then? bay?

i wouldnt mind going after dejesus....he seems like hed be a solid fit for this team, but i dont see us benching pauly or really making him a part time player...at least not at 12 mil a year

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 02:50 AM)
How does that statement support Beane's move? "It was a solid package"??? Whether the Cubs were deep enough or not to make the trade has nothing to do with what Beane got back, at least in the context you put it in.

Again, Sean Gallagher is far better than most people on here realize. The guy will win more games over the next 5 years than Harden and Chacin will.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 06:57 AM)

The only legitimate way you can upgrade the outfield is if the Sox move Konerko or someone goes down with a season ending injury. The Sox aren't going to acquire someone and not have any idea whether they can move Paulie (and thus be stuck eating the remainder of his contract). Plus I still reiterate that its far too early to write Konerko off. He's just came back on the DL and is finally healthy for the first time this season. His bat speed looks better and we'll see him get things straightened out.

Thats not to say the Sox don't consider trading at least one of Paulie/Thome in the off-season (Thome's option will exercise) and as of now I'd be a proponent of moving Paulie (I'm a big believer of getting some payroll relief this off-season as it will give the club the finances to target a couple good young players that they could trade for and extend).

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 07:04 AM)
who plays center then? bay?

i wouldnt mind going after dejesus....he seems like hed be a solid fit for this team, but i dont see us benching pauly or really making him a part time player...at least not at 12 mil a year

That right there is what everyone is going to have to realize. Unless the Sox lose a starting position player to injury you will not see them make a significant upgrade to the starting lineup (maybe a bench player, but thats it). The only exception is if they move one of there position players in a trade for a starting pitcher and than have a roster spot.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 10:45 AM)
Again, Sean Gallagher is far better than most people on here realize. The guy will win more games over the next 5 years than Harden and Chacin will.

Gustavo Chacin was in that harden deal?>??? howd i miss that i love me a hefty glasses wearing lefty

This is almost impossible. Do you guys remember what it took to get Swisher? MacDougal? It would take more than that COMBINED to get a Cy Young candidate mid-season!!!!!!! I'm not saying it can't happen, but sometimes we overrate our prospects, and when you have the worst farm system in all of baseball, you just can't trade everything you have left. It's like suicide for the next 5 years. JD is only under contract for a couple of years, PK is falling off the face of the earth, Crede/Thome/OC will be gone next year. And Javy and Contreras will be gone in two years. You have to think about the future also, not just the present. If we through all of our prospects into this deal, we will be lauding KW now but ripping him in the future. All I'm saying is we simply don't have the bullets to win now and not throw away our future.

:gosox3:

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 05:07 PM)
thats fine, but we did jack s*** to reload our farm system in teh last 3 drafts....the mets traded a better package for santana than we did for swisher, and still have enough prospects to be going after matt holliday and alot of other big names on the market..

lots of teams trade packages of prospects and still have something left on teh farm....the fact that trading 3 prospect depleted our farm of anything relevant and left us with the worst system in the majors is sad

Well if you get Duchscherer (some how, since he is dominate) you'll have a set rotation for the next 3 seasons: Buerhle signed through 2011, Vazquez signed through 2010, Danks and Floyd through 2012, and Duchscherer through 2010 i believe? Most of the time when a team is in the race they trade away pieces from the farm system to acquire pitching. Everything else usually happens during the winter.The Sox will have the next 2 seasons to build up that farm system again since im thinking we will trade Poreda, Broadway, and a guy like Owens or Getz.

QUOTE (Harvin4Heisman @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 01:54 PM)
This is almost impossible. Do you guys remember what it took to get Swisher? MacDougal? It would take more than that COMBINED to get a Cy Young candidate mid-season!!!!!!! I'm not saying it can't happen, but sometimes we overrate our prospects, and when you have the worst farm system in all of baseball, you just can't trade everything you have left. It's like suicide for the next 5 years. JD is only under contract for a couple of years, PK is falling off the face of the earth, Crede/Thome/OC will be gone next year. And Javy and Contreras will be gone in two years. You have to think about the future also, not just the present. If we through all of our prospects into this deal, we will be lauding KW now but ripping him in the future. All I'm saying is we simply don't have the bullets to win now and not throw away our future.

We dont have the bullets to win now? Arent the Sox in 1st place? And it isnt worth going for it all by trading some prospects? Why would this be suicide for the next 5 years?

QUOTE (Harvin4Heisman @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 02:54 PM)
and when you have the worst farm system in all of baseball,

No, that would actually be Houston (they did take Jason Castro 10th in the draft ahead of Justin Smoak after all).

QUOTE (Harvin4Heisman @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 01:54 PM)

I'm agreeing with this.

We have a chance to win the WS as presently constituted.

I wouldnt trade that in for a somewhat greater chance this year+elimination of chance for that in years to come.

AND elimination to get better via trade in years to come.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 03:33 PM)
We dont have the bullets to win now? Arent the Sox in 1st place? And it isnt worth going for it all by trading some prospects? Why would this be suicide for the next 5 years?

They do have the bullets on the TEAM. However the prospects aren't there. Also, if they trade these guys (ie Fields) you now don't have a 3B next year. They would have a great pitching staff, but an offense that virtually relies totally on the longball and only ONCE in the last 35 years has a team that lead the league in HR's won the WS. They can score runs, but in bunches and when you face good pitching when the weather gets colder it will be harder to hit HR's. Plus this team struggles executing offensively. I'm not saying it can't happen, but it more than likely won't. It's not suicide for the pitching staff. But god know what would happen to the position players. We don't want a repeat of 2007 for 3 straight years. JR and KW don't like spending big money or long contracts. Also, they would probably have to trade Ramirez or either Thortnon/Logan to make this work and that's BAD.