Pizza

SoxFan1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 08:09 PM)
Waldo Cooney's, any of your South Siders ever had it? It's f***ing incredibly delicious. Their thin crust is so good.

I've had it, it's good. Not on my list of favorites, but good pizza indeed.

Papa Joe's is King s*** when it comes to South Side pizza IMO.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 08:09 PM)
Waldo Cooney's, any of your South Siders ever had it? It's f***ing incredibly delicious. Their thin crust is so good.

YES, on 51st. Holy cow, I used to live three blocks from that place. Now THAT is some true sout' side pizza, mmm greasy indeed.

Try Falco's which is not too far way on Califonia and Archer. GREAT pizza and they it sell by the slice. Two giant slices and a canned pop for about $3.50.

There are really 3 primary types of "Chicago" pizza. The famous deep dish pie of course... the south side, buttery thin crust... and the cracker crust Chicago thin. For those three, the best, IMO:

Deep Dish: Lou Malnati's (Due's and Girodano's get silver and bronze)

South Side: Home Run Inn (nothing else I've had comes close - and don't tell me Connie's)

Cracker: Barnaby's (Jake's gets a silver)

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 12:05 PM)
There are really 3 primary types of "Chicago" pizza. The famous deep dish pie of course... the south side, buttery thin crust... and the cracker crust Chicago thin. For those three, the best, IMO:

Deep Dish: Lou Malnati's (Due's and Girodano's get silver and bronze)

South Side: Home Run Inn (nothing else I've had comes close - and don't tell me Connie's)

Cracker: Barnaby's (Jake's gets a silver)

I love some deep dish and stuffed pizza when I'm home for a visit, but the cracker crust thin pizza is THE pizza fix I look forward to. I'm partial to the pizzerias from near my neighborhood, which seems to be the case with most of us. For me, Fox's, Chuck's on Western, and Vito and Nick's on 84th and Pulaski (and soon to be featured on Food Network!) are tops.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 10:12 AM)
I love some deep dish and stuffed pizza when I'm home for a visit, but the cracker crust thin pizza is THE pizza fix I look forward to. I'm partial to the pizzerias from near my neighborhood, which seems to be the case with most of us. For me, Fox's, Chuck's on Western, and Vito and Nick's on 84th and Pulaski (and just featured on Food Network last week!) are tops.

You have to try Barnaby's. Best pizza ever, IMO. Its a crappy little restaurant, there are 3 or 4 of them, around the north and northwest side and suburbs. Dark, dingy, poorly decorated, and you have to pick up your pizza at the counter (they scream numbers over a PA system). But the pie is just amazing.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 06:52 AM)
For anyone in NY, I've had John's and Patsy's thin slice pizza, and I thought both were amazing.

Pizza is so much better over here than what you get in Australia.

You must try Lombardi's in New York. Absolutely the greatest Pizza I've ever had!!!!

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 12:15 PM)
You have to try Barnaby's. Best pizza ever, IMO. Its a crappy little restaurant, there are 3 or 4 of them, around the north and northwest side and suburbs. Dark, dingy, poorly decorated, and you have to pick up your pizza at the counter (they scream numbers over a PA system). But the pie is just amazing.

There are two in South Bend/Mishawaka here too.

Awesome beer batter crust.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 10:52 AM)
For anyone in NY, I've had John's and Patsy's thin slice pizza, and I thought both were amazing.

Pizza is so much better over here than what you get in Australia.

John's is good...if you want good pizza go into Brooklyn. DiFara's in Midwood, Lucali Brick Oven in Carroll Garden and Grimaldi's in the Heights are all really good. (But if you go to Lucalis you better be ready to order cuz if you hesitate they'll just go to the person behind you who speaks up). Also, I was at a friends place in Alphabet City last weekend and we stopped at a place called Rosarios in the LES which was phenomenal.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 10:56 AM)
You must try Lombardi's in New York. Absolutely the greatest Pizza I've ever had!!!!

Was that the place where you spilled pop everywhere including on yourself. :lolhitting

Guys,

I haven't been in Chicago in 10 yrs since the move to Texas. My favs back then were Connie's, Gino's East by Loyola U, Giordano's and Papa's Pizza Place when I used to live in Bolingbrook.

Home Run Inn just moved to Woodridge on 75th before I left....long wait time, but good pizza.

What others would you guys suggest? I want to introduce my wife (and my 8 month old daughter to some good pizza sauce, lol) to all things Chicago in '09.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 11:35 PM)
YES, on 51st. Holy cow, I used to live three blocks from that place. Now THAT is some true sout' side pizza, mmm greasy indeed.

Try Falco's which is not too far way on Califonia and Archer. GREAT pizza and they it sell by the slice. Two giant slices and a canned pop for about $3.50.

IIRC, there was a Falco's in Hinsdale off of South Kingery Hwy....is that still there too?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 12:00 PM)
Let me ask you people this. Anyone ever been to SF? (calling all you cali sox fans)

In SF all they eat is this sourdough pizza, you can get some pretty good s*** near the piers. I wish they had that here, its AMAZING.

Yep and that stuff is bomb.

QUOTE (BurlyMan56 @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 05:05 PM)
Vito n Nicks on 83rd and Pulaski

:headbang :headbang

sooo good. I'm craving it right now, sausage and mushroom.

They just did two days of taping this month at Vito and Nicks for an upcoming episode of Food Network's "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" show. They spotlighted White Palace a few months back, another Chicago food joint I mis dearly.

I wish we had more Chicago style pizza down here in central IL. After going out, some people go to a place like Flingers (next to the bars) or they make the trek towards campus (ISU) and get Pokey Sticks from Gumby's pizza. I'm sure they aren't as good as they seem after you have had a few. However, neither are in a class anywhere close to Chicago-style pizza.

QUOTE (tjp1684 @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 03:48 AM)
I wish we had more Chicago style pizza down here in central IL. After going out, some people go to a place like Flingers (next to the bars) or they make the trek towards campus (ISU) and get Pokey Sticks from Gumby's pizza. I'm sure they aren't as good as they seem after you have had a few. However, neither are in a class anywhere close to Chicago-style pizza.

I feel for ya man, I go to ISU during the year and I'm definitely gettin my share of Chicago style this summer. All those pizza joints dedicate their pizza to drunks cuz it is brutal. Papa Johns, Prime Time, Gumby's (bad bad bad), Michaleos, Monical's, they all suck. There's a Rosati's by the airport past Veteran's, that's the place to go if your sober.