John Lannan or Joel Hanrahan to Sox?

Steve9347

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 12:35 PM)
This is kind of puzzling. Why would the Nats trade away a pitcher that is 23. Anyone want to tell me something about this guy. Ie, is he for real and are we talking about a nice long-term acquisition or are we talking about a guy thats been pitching way over his head, despite being young. You have to like the fact that he has fewer hits than innings pitched, but he has thrown a decent number of walks and doesn't get a ton of k's.

Is this guy going to get lit up in his transition from the NL to AL. Also, we have to be talking about a package which involves both Fields & Poreda correct (why would the Nats trade a 23 year old without getting significant pieces in return).

Hell looking at his minor league numbers, the guy just shot through the system.

2006 was his first full season and he was nothing short of mediocre, than 07 he goes from High A to the Majors. 08 he spent the entire time with the Nats.

That's like asking why would the Nats trading Jon Rauch when he was their closer and under their control til what 09 or 2010?

You know how much Jim Bowden loves his toolsy outfielders and position prospects. I don't know how Fields would be a fit for them considering they have Zimmerman at 3B already (unless Fields moved to 1B/OF). Otherwise my guess would be Broadway + McCullough + Shelby maybe, the Nats are just really going after loading up their system.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 12:00 PM)
I would assume Clayton Richard would have to be traded to the Nationals as part of this deal. They would clearly want an ML ready pitcher. BUt like mentioned before, why would the Nationals trade a 23-year-old lefty, who is dealing this year?

Probably because Clayton has better stuff. I'd back away from this deal if they want Richard, but Broadway would be on the table, and McCulloch should always be on the table.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 01:04 PM)
is maccullough going to make the majors?

Not with us. He'd make it for the Nats someday in their ballpark though I'd imagine.

Also Lannan has some weird numbers this season;

Home - 2-5, 42IP, 16K's, 18BB's, 4.71 ERA, 1.40WHIP.

Away - 4-5, 77IP, 50K's, 22BB's, 2.57 ERA, 1.23WHIP.

I love Richard, but based on the stats why wouldn't you give him up to get this 23 year old lefty (again this is purely stat base as I can't give much of an assessment on Lannan).

On a side-note, wouldn't you think the Nats would have interest in Brian Anderson (toolsy outfielder, could be a high upside acquisition). And I'm not implying Anderson as the main piece, rather one of the potential pieces.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 01:03 PM)
Probably because Clayton has better stuff. I'd back away from this deal if they want Richard, but Broadway would be on the table, and McCulloch should always be on the table.

Have you actually seen Lannan? Because I just can't full believe that Richard has better stuff than him, not when Lannan has an ERA in the low 3's. Even in a pitcher's park and in the NL, that's still a damn good ERA.

One thing I will say though, the Sox have hit on Danks and Floyd, 2 young pitchers who they've traded for over the past couple of years.

I'll give KW and the scouting staff the benefit of the doubt here if they do indeed go for Lannan (who I had heard nothing about prior to 10 mins ago). :lol:

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 01:08 PM)
Have you actually seen Lannan? Because I just can't full believe that Richard has better stuff than him, not when Lannan has an ERA in the low 3's. Even in a pitcher's park and in the NL, that's still a damn good ERA.

And if the numbers earlier in this thread are right, his numbers are actually way better AWAY from that ballpark.

Lannan makes sense. He could fill in for Jose until he's back. If Jose is healthy and throwing well, Lannan can go to the bullpen. A LHP who can eat 2 innings at a time, and be on the roster in case a SP goes down/ or is sucking, would kill 2 birds with one stone.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 12:08 PM)

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/media/...3&c_id=was#

I like Richard's arm better.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 01:08 PM)

"Stuff" does not make a pitcher. Take MLB results over stuff. Although, Lannan did his work in the NL so I'm not sure how that would equate to the AL. The deal would depend on the other pieces.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 12:12 PM)
Is there anyone listening to score that can confirm that Rogers is saying it's Joel Hanrahan now?

I was just in the car and heard that. Everything is speculation. They said the Sox were talking to Washington and that's all they could confirm. Everything outside that is speculation.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 01:15 PM)
That would make more sense. He's a big power pitcher with some good stuff out of the pen.

Has some control issues though apparently.

Weird that Bowden would trade 2 closers in a row though.