Official 2008-2009 College Football Thread

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 6, 2008 -> 11:31 PM)
I wouldn't go that far. Oklahoma is the best team in the country right now, and they deserve to play Florida in the title game at this point, but Texas still has a very legitimate beef that they weren't playing tonight. I agree with the comments on the OU offense, I've never seen any offense on a roll like they are. I don't see how Florida will be able to keep up with them for 60 full minutes, that game could be similar to OU's game against Oklahoma State last week IMO.

Maybe so, but Oklahoma looks like the best team in the country right now.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 11:26 AM)
Yes, because they were voted there from winning 12 games and losing none. I dont see an "Impressive" victory in the lot though. The best team they played and beat is #16 Georgia by 11 points, the same team that Fla beat by 31. They also outlasted LSU in OT, of course Fla beat them by 30. Fla had ONE close game and it was a one point loss to Ole Miss, Ala had a very close game with them too. The difference that I see is that Fla blew out every other team they played.

that's a load of crap. You don't see impressive victories because you are looking at scores on paper and in restrospect.

Alabama pounded the crap out of a top 10 team in Clemson. While Clemson did not have the season everyone expected, they were a talented team. Who's to say that the pounding Alabama gave them didn't cause their slide? No one can say that was or was not the catalyst. Team's seaon can turn for many reasons, injuries, a bad loss they never overcome, suspsensions, etc. Clemson very well may have been overrated, but they still finished 7-5 and Bama absolutely destroyed them on a neutral field.

Saying they beat Georgia by 11 points just proves my point you are just making crap up without knowing much. Alabama pummeled Georgia and had a 31-0 lead at the half. You can't tell me that a team won't naturally let up on the gas pedal at that point. Their defense relaxed and Georgia scored a lot in the second half, but that game was NEVER in doubt. On the road, in the SEC, that was as an impressive a win as anyone had all year. How many top 10 wins did the Big 12 teams have on the road?

Alabama went on the road to LSU, notoriously one of the toughest places to play and won. Yes they had to go to OT to win, but that game was as intense as any from the beginning. This was Nick Saban's 1st return to Baton Rouge and that game was marked on LSU's schedule a long time ago. Winning that game would have made LSU's season and they played like it.

Yes, Alabama got a break because the SEC wasn't as strong as usual. Auburn and Tennessee were much easier wins than expected. A lot went right for Bama this year. But just because they don't score 60 points a game doesn't mean they are not a great team. To label them as not very good because they don't run up scores or because they didn't have sexy wins is assinine. They did not beat Florida, but played better than most people thought they would. I have a lot of respect for Florida, they are very well coached. They did things in the game yesterday that were obviously due to good scouting. Give them credit. But Alabama very much deserved to be in that game and could have won it with a break or two.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 12:31 PM)
that's a load of crap. You don't see impressive victories because you are looking at scores on paper and in restrospect.

Alabama pounded the crap out of a top 10 team in Clemson. While Clemson did not have the season everyone expected, they were a talented team. Who's to say that the pounding Alabama gave them didn't cause their slide? No one can say that was or was not the catalyst. Team's seaon can turn for many reasons, injuries, a bad loss they never overcome, suspsensions, etc. Clemson very well may have been overrated, but they still finished 7-5 and Bama absolutely destroyed them on a neutral field.

Saying they beat Georgia by 11 points just proves my point you are just making crap up without knowing much. Alabama pummeled Georgia and had a 31-0 lead at the half. You can't tell me that a team won't naturally let up on the gas pedal at that point. Their defense relaxed and Georgia scored a lot in the second half, but that game was NEVER in doubt. On the road, in the SEC, that was as an impressive a win as anyone had all year. How many top 10 wins did the Big 12 teams have on the road?

Alabama went on the road to LSU, notoriously one of the toughest places to play and won. Yes they had to go to OT to win, but that game was as intense as any from the beginning. This was Nick Saban's 1st return to Baton Rouge and that game was marked on LSU's schedule a long time ago. Winning that game would have made LSU's season and they played like it.

Yes, Alabama got a break because the SEC wasn't as strong as usual. Auburn and Tennessee were much easier wins than expected. A lot went right for Bama this year. But just because they don't score 60 points a game doesn't mean they are not a great team. To label them as not very good because they don't run up scores or because they didn't have sexy wins is assinine. They did not beat Florida, but played better than most people thought they would. I have a lot of respect for Florida, they are very well coached. They did things in the game yesterday that were obviously due to good scouting. Give them credit. But Alabama very much deserved to be in that game and could have won it with a break or two.

Thats alot of work. Even though I didnt get the spread right, Florida won as they should have. They are a better team than Alabama, and showed it.

Alabama/Utah Sugar Bowl

USC/Penn State Rose Bowl

Texas/Ohio State Fiesta Bowl

Virginia Tech and Cincinnati have to play in the Orange Bowl, so that means no Texas Tech? What a crock of s***. We all get to watch the Suckeyes get destroyed by another more athletic school again. Joy!

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 07:19 PM)
Alabama/Utah Sugar Bowl

USC/Penn State Rose Bowl

Virginia Tech and Cincinnati have to play in the Orange Bowl, so that means no Texas Tech? What a crock of s***. We all get to watch the Buckeyes get destroyed by another more athletic school again. Joy!

More athletic huh? You could just say they are playing a better team, not sure about more athletic. PSU is going to get smashed as well. None of those bowls above excite me at all, they all have potential to be serious blowouts.

other than the title game, these BCS bowls are weak.

OSU/Texas in the Fiesta. Been there, done that. I guess this can be the rubber match...

Alabama/Utah. Yawn

USC/Penn State see last year's Rose Bowl

Cincy/VT. another yawner. Hopefully the Big East loses so I can hate on that conference even more.

The best bowls will be the "second tier" ones as usual.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 07:42 PM)
other than the title game, these BCS bowls are weak.

OSU/Texas in the Fiesta. Been there, done that. I guess this can be the rubber match...

Alabama/Utah. Yawn

USC/Penn State see last year's Rose Bowl

Cincy/VT. another yawner. Hopefully the Big East loses so I can hate on that conference even more.

The best bowls will be the "second tier" ones as usual.

I mean, you could take those bowls above and make better ones (on paper)

Texas v Alabama

OSU V Utah

would be better matchups.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 08:28 PM)
More athletic huh? You could just say they are playing a better team, not sure about more athletic. PSU is going to get smashed as well. None of those bowls above excite me at all, they all have potential to be serious blowouts.

LSU, Texas, and Florida were/will be too athletic for Ohio State. And, like you said, better.

I'm not sure. I think USC will win something like 23-7.

Alabama might beat Utah by 5 TD's.

Since Penn St and USC is locked into the Rose, I would do the following games out of the remaining 6 teams.

Ohio State vs Cincy Makes for a nice in state storyline

Alabama vs Texas two storied programs

VT vs Utah there has to be atleast one dud game

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 07:19 PM)
Alabama/Utah Sugar Bowl

USC/Penn State Rose Bowl

Virginia Tech and Cincinnati have to play in the Orange Bowl, so that means no Texas Tech? What a crock of s***. We all get to watch the Suckeyes get destroyed by another more athletic school again. Joy!

How is it a crock of s*** when Texas Tech wasn't even eligible for a BCS Bowl?

QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 08:08 PM)
Since Penn St and USC is locked into the Rose, I would do the following games out of the remaining 6 teams.

Ohio State vs Cincy Makes for a nice in state storyline

Alabama vs Texas two storied programs

VT vs Utah there has to be atleast one dud game

OSU would pound Cincy, they are far and away the worst team in the BCS system this year. I personally would like it because that would almost assure the seniors leave with a bowl win under their belt.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 10:32 AM)
The only one of those that will be a game is the Bama/Utah game potentially. Texas will route Ohio State and I assume USC will beat Penn State by about 2 td's (not a route, but not a close game either).

Awful matchups.

Seriously? THATS the matchup you picked as the best game. Alabama will crush Utah, I would say that is probably the most assured blowout of the three. The Tide's defense is going to stiffle the crap out of Utah's offense. This is a team that barely beat Michigan.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 10:50 AM)
Seriously? THATS the matchup you picked as the best game. Alabama will crush Utah, I would say that is probably the most assured blowout of the three. The Tide's defense is going to stiffle the crap out of Utah's offense. This is a team that barely beat Michigan.

Alabama is going to be in full hangover mode...which means either a close game or an upset.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 05:22 PM)
Texas/USC would have been better.

As a USC fan, you're just afraid of Texas. :D

To be honest, I think the worst matchup for a B12 team is USC mostly because of their defense. USC/Alabama would be an unbelievably hard hitting game.

ESPN's "the SEC is better than the NFL" leg got kicked out this season so now they are on the "Tebow wasnt the best player on the field, but should win the Heisman because of his leadership" bandwagon.

Someone has to tell all the other players that outperformed Tebow that they have zero leadership.

I'm joining the BCS conversation late here I understand, but why is everyone so sure that the Bama/Utah game is going to be a dud? Alabama's best win this season is at GA. Georgia was ranked 3rd at the time I believe, but they finish the season ranked 16. Beyond GA, you see Mississippi and LSU as their best wins and, while good teams, neither of those two are world beaters.

Utah, on the other hand, has wins over TCU, BYU and Oregon State as their marquee wins. On paper, those don't look that bad when compared to Bama's best wins.

Now I'm not saying I expect Utah to win the game, but I think this is going to be a much closer game than people give it credit for.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 06:17 PM)
ESPN's "the SEC is better than the NFL" leg got kicked out this season so now they are on the "Tebow wasnt the best player on the field, but should win the Heisman because of his leadership" bandwagon.

Someone has to tell all the other players that outperformed Tebow that they have zero leadership.

Colt McCoy is WAY more valuable to his team than Tim Tebow, not to mention he had a better season. I'd be surprised if Bradford doesn't win though, as this is more of an MOP award than MVP.