Official 2008-2009 College Football Thread

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 12:26 PM)
Yes, because they were voted there from winning 12 games and losing none. I dont see an "Impressive" victory in the lot though. The best team they played and beat is #16 Georgia by 11 points, the same team that Fla beat by 31. They also outlasted LSU in OT, of course Fla beat them by 30. Fla had ONE close game and it was a one point loss to Ole Miss, Ala had a very close game with them too. The difference that I see is that Fla blew out every other team they played.

Alabama was up 31-0 at the half and was up 41-17 before UGA scored two touchdowns in the last 3 minutes. That game was never even close.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 04:59 PM)
Didnt he resign?

Apparently the booster that tried to hire someone behind Tubbys back in 2003 has "recommended" the resignation.

http://deadspin.com/5101925/do-not-mess-wi...urn-coachs-wife

Amy Enzminger, wife of offensive coordinator Steve, said her hubby found out while he was on a recruiting visit in Maryland. She also called up to rip the administration for their handling of the situation. You can listen to the calls here.

Oh, and she also accused Nick Saban of buying players, but that's just a minor detail. For those who don't know the "Jetgate" scandal, she's referring to Bobby Lowder, a powerful Auburn trustee who got the president of the university fired in 2001 and tried to hire Bobby Petrino behind Tuberville's back in 2003. (The year before Auburn went 13-0.)

Even Tommy's momma is pissed. Olive Tuberville told a newspaper, “He didn’t resign. He was fired.”

Asked if she felt her son was betrayed by the school he led to 85 wins and an SEC championship over 10 seasons, she replied, “I would say yes to a certain extent

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 11:15 AM)
Are there any good web-sites to buy College Football Merchandise?

I would think a good idea here is to go to the school bookstore website (almost all school bookstores have them) of the school whose merchandise you'd like to purchase. In general, finding college football merchandise can be pretty hit and miss unless you are looking for the gear of a USC, Ohio State, Florida, etc.

Is it bad that part of me wants Jimbo to go to Auburn? We could clear everyone out and get a real staff. I hate to question Jimbo so quickly, but he's been pretty unimpressive. However, I don't know if that's Bobby's fault and I still want to see EJ play under Jimbo.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 09:14 PM)
Is it bad that part of me wants Jimbo to go to Auburn? We could clear everyone out and get a real staff. I hate to question Jimbo so quickly, but he's been pretty unimpressive. However, I don't know if that's Bobby's fault and I still want to see EJ play under Jimbo.

Jimbo is not going anywhere :)

oh, not me

Note to Ball State: Make sure you win your conference before you whine about the BCS, dodge Boise State, etc etc.

However, I couldn't be happier for Turner Gill and Buffalo. That has been perhaps the worst program in America since they went 1-A about a decade or so ago. For him to get that thing turned around so fast is absolutely a great job, and now a MAC Title as a reward. I hope he gets his deserved chance at a better football school in due time, and it's amazing what happens when a black coach not named Tyrone Willingham :P is given a chance.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 10:31 PM)
Note to Ball State: Make sure you win your conference before you whine about the BCS, dodge Boise State, etc etc.

However, I couldn't be happier for Turner Gill and Buffalo. That has been perhaps the worst program in America since they went 1-A about a decade or so ago. For him to get that thing turned around so fast is absolutely a great job, and now a MAC Title as a reward. I hope he gets his deserved chance at a better football school in due time, and it's amazing what happens when a black coach not named Tyrone Willingham :P is given a chance.

Karl Dorell and Sylvester Croom agree :-P.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 10:39 PM)
Karl Dorell and Sylvester Croom agree :-P.

Ha I forgot all about Karl Dorell. But ok, so 1 in 4 black coaches suck (although I think the dude at Houston and Shannon at Miami are going to do a good job too), no different than the white guys. I just think 3 out of 119 is a joke, that is all. You know what I'm trying to say. :lolhitting

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 6, 2008 -> 12:01 AM)
Ha I forgot all about Karl Dorell. But ok, so 1 in 4 black coaches suck (although I think the dude at Houston and Shannon at Miami are going to do a good job too), no different than the white guys. I just think 3 out of 119 is a joke, that is all. You know what I'm trying to say. :lolhitting

Ron Prince

http://www.southernsportsgeeks.com/2008/12...winner-of-wwii/

After determining the Big-12 championship game participants the BCS

computers were put to work on other major contests and today the BCS

declared Germany to be the winner of World War II.

BCS DECLARES GERMANY WINNER OF WORLD WAR II... US Ranked 4th

"Germany put together an incredible number of victories beginning with

the annexation of Austria and the Sudetenland and continuing on into

conference play with defeats of Poland, France, Norway, Sweden,

Denmark, Belgium and the Netherlands. Their only losses came against

the US and Russia; however considering their entire body of

work--including an incredibly tough Strength of Schedule--our

computers deemed them worthy of the #1 ranking."

Questioned about the #4 ranking of the United States the BCS

commissioner stated "The US only had two major victories--Japan and

Germany. The computer models, unlike humans, aren't influenced by

head-to-head contests--they consider each contest to be only a single,

equally-weighted event."

German Chancellor Adolph Hiter said "Yes, we lost to the US; but we

defeated #2 ranked France in only 6 weeks." Herr Hitler has been

criticized for seeking dramatic victories to earn 'style points' to

enhance Germany's rankings. Hitler protested "Our contest with Poland

was in doubt until the final day and the conditions in Norway were

incredibly challenging and demanded the application of additional

forces."

The French ranking has also come under scrutiny. The BCS commented "

France had a single loss against Germany and following a preseason #1

ranking they only fell to #2."

Japan was ranked #3 with victories including Manchuria, Borneo and the

Philippines.

United States head coach Harry S Truman was criticized by many as

having poor taste for scheduling a "politicking" interview during

halftime of the German bombing raids over Great Britain.

In that interview, Truman stated, "Any way you look at it, there is

going to be a really good military force that gets left out. But when

you come right down to it, our head-to-head victory over the Germans

has to be the deciding factor."

A US fan also made the point that "Germany is getting all the style

points right now because of their sexy offense, which continues to

obliterate weaker opponents and show off their might after the battle

is already won. But what about defense?"

"Besides, Germany padded their rankings with blowout victories against

Division 1-AA teams like Holland and Belgium. Japan did likewise with

victories over cupcakes Burma and Guadalcanal."

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Dec 6, 2008 -> 08:15 PM)
I swear this commentator not named Verne Lundquist is riding Tim Tebow so hard he should probably have a saddle.

Sickening.

bob griese...and you are right it was gross....the pinnacle of the announcing careers of either one of those two was lundquist's "large and economically diverse crowd" moment in happy gilmore

Edited by daa84

OU tearing apart Missouri and continuing to justify their BCS selection.

Now we'll see if Stoops can get his team up for the NC game...the last couple of times out against LSU and USC were duds, especially the USC game.

But Bradford is five times the QB Jason White or Josh Heupel ever were at OU. While Murray and Brown aren't better than A. Peterson individually, their combined threat is scarier (Murray's not even playing tonight), and Gresham is far and away the best TE in the country right now, with Chase Coffman a distant second.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 6, 2008 -> 09:41 PM)
OU tearing apart Missouri and continuing to justify their BCS selection.

Now we'll see if Stoops can get his team up for the NC game...the last couple of times out against LSU and USC were duds, especially the USC game.

But Bradford is five times the QB Jason White or Josh Heupel ever were at OU. While Murray and Brown aren't better than A. Peterson individually, their combined threat is scarier (Murray's not even playing tonight), and Gresham is far and away the best TE in the country right now, with Chase Coffman a distant second.

I wouldn't go that far. Oklahoma is the best team in the country right now, and they deserve to play Florida in the title game at this point, but Texas still has a very legitimate beef that they weren't playing tonight. I agree with the comments on the OU offense, I've never seen any offense on a roll like they are. I don't see how Florida will be able to keep up with them for 60 full minutes, that game could be similar to OU's game against Oklahoma State last week IMO.