Official 2008-2009 College Football Thread

Watching (so to speak) on the Internet, it's like a freaking pinball game.

I turned away from the computer for one second....OSU has a return for a touchdown. Bradford's rolling up and down the field like German Panzer tanks through Poland.

With all the hype coming into today, most of the games were very boring, with the exceptions of GA/GT and KS/Missouri. I guess this game, if OU wins it, will leave a strong final impression in Bradford's favor...if only the OU defense can get a stop.

It's going to be interesting to see which Missouri team shows up next week for the B12 Championship game.

Start your arguments here....Texas or Oklahoma? My dad went to OU, so I'm not unbiased. I'm just happy because my Hawkeyes righted their sinking ship and OU got back into the NC picture after losing to TX. But I'm still not counting my chickens until they beat Missouri.

I think there are still some scenarios where OU and TEX could play in the NC game if the other team made the champ. game and lost or didn't look very convincing in winning, correct?

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 29, 2008 -> 10:17 PM)
Watching (so to speak) on the Internet, it's like a freaking pinball game.

I turned away from the computer for one second....OSU has a return for a touchdown. Bradford's rolling up and down the field like German Panzer tanks through Poland.

With all the hype coming into today, most of the games were very boring, with the exceptions of GA/GT and KS/Missouri. I guess this game, if OU wins it, will leave a strong final impression in Bradford's favor...if only the OU defense can get a stop.

It's going to be interesting to see which Missouri team shows up next week for the B12 Championship game.

Start your arguments here....Texas or Oklahoma? My dad went to OU, so I'm not unbiased. I'm just happy because my Hawkeyes righted their sinking ship and OU got back into the NC picture after losing to TX. But I'm still not counting my chickens until they beat Missouri.

I think there are still some scenarios where OU and TEX could play in the NC game if the other team made the champ. game and lost or didn't look very convincing in winning, correct?

Its OU and there shouldn't even be an argument about it

In terms of what team deserves to be there, its the Sooners..

They've beaten..

#7 11-1 Texas Tech

#12 9-3 Oklahoma State

#14 10-2 TCU

#16 10-2 Cincinnati

Their lone loss came against Texas of course in a close game.. I think with all things considered Oklahoma is clearly a better team than Texas and has played a tougher schedule and should be ahead of UT in the next BCS poll..

they have scored 52+ points in EIGHT games this year, ridiculous

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 29, 2008 -> 10:17 PM)

Impossible IMO

Once Florida beats Alabama in the SEC Title Game, they are going to pass up whoever doesn't go to the BIG 12 title game anyways..

And if Alabama wins, its gonna be whoever wins the Big 12 title game unless that team loses to Missouri which could leave the door open for the team who DIDN'T make the Big 12 title game..

Instead of making this a ridiculous scenario, lets just hop the computers get it right and we end up seeing Florida VS Oklahoma in what should be a fantastic game to watch..

UT's opponents overall record is 85-59 with 4 ranked (or were ranked) opponents. Tech's opponents record is 80-63 with 4 ranked opponents (or were ranked) OU's opponents record is 80-64 with 6 ranked opponents (Cincy wasnt but is now). You do the math.

They also beat #16 Kansas 45-31.

Their average over the last five games is 62.4 points per game.

ONCE AGAIN, THEIR AVERAGE OVER THEIR LAST FIVE B12 GAMES is 62.4 POINTS PER GAME.

QUOTE (Shadows @ Nov 29, 2008 -> 10:58 PM)
Impossible IMO

Once Florida beats Alabama in the SEC Title Game, they are going to pass up whoever doesn't go to the BIG 12 title game anyways..

And if Alabama wins, its gonna be whoever wins the Big 12 title game unless that team loses to Missouri which could leave the door open for the team who DIDN'T make the Big 12 title game..

Instead of making this a ridiculous scenario, lets just hop the computers get it right and we end up seeing Florida VS Oklahoma in what should be a fantastic game to watch..

BUT, BUT, BUT if Alabama does manage to somehow beat Florida...OU/TX barely win or lose against Missouri...then that opens up the door for arguments from Utah, USC and the team that didn't play (OU/TX) in the B12 championship (no, I won't enter Boise State or any Big 10 team into discussion).

Of course, OSU getting ripped by UO makes the USC loss to them even more damaging...

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Nov 29, 2008 -> 11:03 PM)
Sometimes life just sucks. Tech 11-1, ranked in the top 7, won't be in a BCS game. A program built on cheating is going to be playing for the national title game. Joy.

Are you referring to Oklahoma or Alabama here? I'm confused.

Say what you want about OU's past under Switzer or Kelvin Sampson, Stoops is regarded as a highly ethical (if not overcontrolling) head coach.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 29, 2008 -> 11:07 PM)
Are you referring to Oklahoma or Alabama here? I'm confused.

Say what you want about OU's past under Switzer or Kelvin Sampson, Stoops is regarded as a highly ethical (if not overcontrolling) head coach.

OU. Those ethics apparently went out the window with the paid players "working" at the car dealership.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Nov 29, 2008 -> 11:12 PM)
OU. Those ethics apparently went out the window with the paid players "working" at the car dealership.

Well, Kirk Ferentz is one of the most principled (and loved by most Hawkeye fans) and respected coaches in the college game today and look at the off-field problems that have developed over the last 18 months. Even Ferentz was accused of helping to facilitate a cover-up in a campus rape case.

When you have so many huge egos, so many boosters with huge egos that want to get close to the program...you just can't control and monitor every single thing each player does 24 hours per day (well, the Internet now can do that, with all the digicams and cell phone cameras out there). Look at all the things that have gone down with the PSU football program over the past five years, is Paterno now a "corrupt" coach? I don't think so. It's just symptomatic of the times we live in.

Bomar made a mistake, obviously, but there's a big leap to "lack of institutional" control compared to when Buster Rhymes was running around with an Uzi or AK-47 on campus...or the Brian Bosworth years.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 30, 2008 -> 12:16 AM)
Well, Kirk Ferentz is one of the most principled (and loved by most Hawkeye fans) and respected coaches in the college game today and look at the off-field problems that have developed over the last 18 months. Even Ferentz was accused of helping to facilitate a cover-up in a campus rape case.

When you have so many huge egos, so many boosters with huge egos that want to get close to the program...you just can't control and monitor every single thing each player does 24 hours per day (well, the Internet now can do that, with all the digicams and cell phone cameras out there). Look at all the things that have gone down with the PSU football program over the past five years, is Paterno now a "corrupt" coach? I don't think so. It's just symptomatic of the times we live in.

Bomar made a mistake, obviously, but there's a big leap to "lack of institutional" control compared to when Buster Rhymes was running around with an Uzi or AK-47 on campus...or the Brian Bosworth years.

An innocent mistake such as "oops, my player got caught with a stripper", I can understand. An innocent mistake such as "oops two of my players got paid between 5K-7K extra for working at a car dealership" is beyond hard to take. Here is a quote from the report about the incident,

The university report states that Big Red did not maintain consistent, up-to-date records on vehicles, financing and sales and that "the employment records maintained and provided by Big Red for temporary summer employment were also at times incomplete or in conflict with other records they maintained on the same employee."

Nice little racket OU has going on, best part is that OU will continue to have players "working" there.

Edited by Palehosefan

Texas should still CLEARLY be in the Big 12 Title game, but I think Oklahoma and Florida are the two best teams in America right now so if OU comes out on top tomorrow in the BCS, I guess the prospect of a potential Florida/OU title game is fun. It's a shame USC lost that Oregon State game though, their defense is as good as I can remember seeing.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 30, 2008 -> 01:07 AM)
Texas should still CLEARLY be in the Big 12 Title game, but I think Oklahoma and Florida are the two best teams in America right now so if OU comes out on top tomorrow in the BCS, I guess the prospect of a potential Florida/OU title game is fun. It's a shame USC lost that Oregon State game though, their defense is as good as I can remember seeing.

How should Texas clearly be in the Big 12 title game?

They lost to Texas Tech, Oklahoma RIPPED Texas Tech.. After tomorrow, Oklahoma will have beaten 3 top 12 teams ide imagine (Depending where Cincy ends up)

If Texas "clearly" deserves to go to the Big 12 Title game, why doesn't Texas Tech clearly deserve to go? They beat Texas.. Im tired of hearing all the Texas fans crying about how since they beat Oklahoma they should be ahead of them in the polls.. Uh, well Tech beat you so why don't they get to be in front of you in the polls?

Because that's not how it works, and at the end of the day ide say Oklahoma is a much more impressive team than Texas. Throw out the Big 12 opponents because they have to play them anyway and OU beat 2 10 win teams Non Conference who could end up being top 10 teams when the season is over.

QUOTE (Shadows @ Nov 30, 2008 -> 02:14 AM)
How should Texas clearly be in the Big 12 title game?

They lost to Texas Tech, Oklahoma RIPPED Texas Tech.. After tomorrow, Oklahoma will have beaten 3 top 12 teams ide imagine (Depending where Cincy ends up)

If Texas "clearly" deserves to go to the Big 12 Title game, why doesn't Texas Tech clearly deserve to go? They beat Texas.. Im tired of hearing all the Texas fans crying about how since they beat Oklahoma they should be ahead of them in the polls.. Uh, well Tech beat you so why don't they get to be in front of you in the polls?

Because that's not how it works, and at the end of the day ide say Oklahoma is a much more impressive team than Texas. Throw out the Big 12 opponents because they have to play them anyway and OU beat 2 10 win teams Non Conference who could end up being top 10 teams when the season is over.

Schedule in conference, in terms of strength, goes to Texas. Unlike OU, they had to play Mizzou, the best North team, and they both played the same south teams obviously. Now, OU did for sure play a tougher out of conference schedule, I'll admit that. There is no perfect way to seperate the three teams. I start by throwing Tech out because they were stomped into the ground in their loss. Then you get to Texas and OU, and to me this is a Texas vs. OU argument. They played on a neutral field, and Texas won. To be honest, I think OU is a better football team and certainly more impressive even with that in mind, but you can't argue with the results of their game on a neutral site. I think I lose you by throwing Texas Tech out, but I'm sorry, if you get beat by 50 or whatever it was, you lose in a 3 team argument in my opinion, even if you beat Texas on a miracle play to end the game in Lubbock.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

With 5 common opponents (plus the head-to-head), Oklahoma is + 138 and Texas is + 100 in scoring differential. That's almost 1 touchdown per game in favor of OU. Add to that the fact that in playing those 5 common opponents, OU has only one home game and 4 road games, while texas had 3 home games and 2 road games, I think the decision is clear ---- OU is the better team over the season and the better team right now. Also factor in Ryan Renolds getting hurt in the OU/UT game and 9 or 11 points added to the OSU game score if OU gets the fumble recovery on the first possession of the 2nd half.

That Missouri loss AT home to Kansas doesn't look so good...for Texas. And OU beat KS. Yet another argument. You can argue in circles all you want...but even those picking UT to go feel that OU is the better team right now, along with Florida.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 30, 2008 -> 02:28 AM)
Schedule in conference, in terms of strength, goes to Texas. Unlike OU, they had to play Mizzou, the best North team, and they both played the same south teams obviously. Now, OU did for sure play a tougher out of conference schedule, I'll admit that. There is no perfect way to seperate the three teams. I start by throwing Tech out because they were stomped into the ground in their loss. Then you get to Texas and OU, and to me this is a Texas vs. OU argument. They played on a neutral field, and Texas won. To be honest, I think OU is a better football team and certainly more impressive even with that in mind, but you can't argue with the results of their game on a neutral site. I think I lose you by throwing Texas Tech out, but I'm sorry, if you get beat by 50 or whatever it was, you lose in a 3 team argument in my opinion, even if you beat Texas on a miracle play to end the game in Lubbock.

No, you can definitely throw Tech out the window because they did get annihilated by OU.. I just don't agree that Texas fans have a right to complain when OU passes them because if you asked them "Well should Texas Tech be moved from their spot in front of you because they beat you?" they would say hell no.

Mizzou is ok, I wouldn't hold that over OU's head.. but the wins against TCU and Cincy are looking pretty damn good for Oklahoma right now and are going to help them push past Texas tomorrow most likely.

Texas had to hold on to beat Oklahoma State in Austin.. Oklahoma went TO Stillwater and really stuck it to OK St (Yes, I know the score was somewhat "close" but if you watched the game there was really no chance that OK St could stop them.)

And finally, I wouldn't say that Texas Tech beat Texas with a miracle play.. they were in field goal range and I believe it was only like 42 yard FG.. for some reason they chose to keep throwing instead of kick it, and that's why it seemed like a miracle play. If Leech wasn't such an oddball coach, anyone else would have kicked the FG and the story would of been how Texas got beat.. that didn't happen, and now the only thing that comes out of Texas supporters mouths is "We lost on the last play of the game with 1 second left" Like that's suppose to justify the loss and make it look like a fluke which is far from it. Texas Tech virtually owned that entire game until 2 mins left in the game. And even then, they still went right down the field and scored to win.

Anyone still want to disagree with me that Charlie Weis' (extremely large) seat is pretty hot right now?

Terry Boers said on Wednesday that his contact was sure Weis was getting canned tomorrow should he lose to USC, which was pretty much a foregone conclusion

QUOTE (Shadows @ Nov 30, 2008 -> 02:54 AM)
And finally, I wouldn't say that Texas Tech beat Texas with a miracle play.. they were in field goal range and I believe it was only like 42 yard FG.. for some reason they chose to keep throwing instead of kick it, and that's why it seemed like a miracle play. If Leech wasn't such an oddball coach, anyone else would have kicked the FG and the story would of been how Texas got beat.. that didn't happen, and now the only thing that comes out of Texas supporters mouths is "We lost on the last play of the game with 1 second left" Like that's suppose to justify the loss and make it look like a fluke which is far from it. Texas Tech virtually owned that entire game until 2 mins left in the game. And even then, they still went right down the field and scored to win.

Texas Tech was only down for 1:30 of the entire game. Tech outgained Texas by 205 yards 579 to 374. Texas was lucky to even be in the game.

Tech also doesn't get the luxury of playing OU or UT on a neutral field every year.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Nov 29, 2008 -> 08:58 PM)
Tennessee with a huge win tonight to help Phillip Fulmer go out on a high note. Very very emotional after the game. Phil handled it with class and you could tell he was really choked up coaching his last game for the Vols... The players carried him off the field too. Very deserving moment for a great coach.

If he is such a great coach, why did Tennessee fans run his ass out of town?

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Nov 30, 2008 -> 11:42 AM)
I find it comical that NO ONE is giving Alabama a chance to beat Florida.

Why is it comical?

Alabama isn't THAT good and Florida has just been wrecking people

John Parker Wilson is meh, thats why I think they cant beat Florida

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Nov 30, 2008 -> 11:42 AM)
I find it comical that NO ONE is giving Alabama a chance to beat Florida.

I give them a chance. Not much of a chance, but if they play their very best game, they certainly have a shot. Their win at Georgia is certainly a very good win but they aren't nearly as good as people thought (as we saw yesterday), and the win at LSU is nice but the Tigers needed a comeback win against Troy to make it to 7-5. I know it's weird to say since they play in the SEC, but Alabama really hasn't played a strong schedule, and they certainly haven't played anybody near the quality of Florida. I know the same can be said for Florida and they even have a loss (and a bad one at that), but the Gators just appear to be a stronger team. They have a vastly superior offense with their big play ability and balance, and although Alabama has a better defense, it's not by a wide margin as the Gators have been playing some wonderful defense lately. Plus, this game is indoors on a fast track, which plays to Florida's strength.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Nov 27, 2008 -> 03:27 AM)
Our AD is denying it, but I'm pretty damn sure Kiffin has been offered the job. I'm think they're just waiting until after the season (especially with Philip Fulmer appreciation day being this Saturday against Kentucky) to announce it, and technically, Kiffin has to accept the job. Though, that's said to be a given. He is reportedly trying to fill a coaching staff, so when he's announced as the coach, they'll already be able to announce some of the new coaches as well.

Ed Orgeron could possibly be his D-Coordinator and recruiting coordinator. While he would be phenomenal as a recruiter, I'm not sure about him being a Defensive Coordinator, but oh well... we'll see. If he would take a job as the D-Line coach and Recruiting Coordinator, that would be fantastic b/c he's a very good position coach. I just don't know if he can run an entire defense.

David Reaves (Kiffin's brother-in-law) is also rumored to be a candidate as offensive coordinator (even though Kiffin would call the plays still). Reaves is currently the Recruiting Coordinator and QB Coach at South Carolina.

If Kiffin (a great recruiter himself) brings in those guys as coaches, it looks like Tennessee could have the beginnings of one of the best recruiting staffs in the country. However, the big question is can they coach? Recruiting only brings you so far...

Btw, Ken Norton Jr (the current LB coach at USC) is also rumored to be a candidate as the defensive coordinator at UT. But, this is obviously just speculation at this point. Just thought I'd throw out some of the possibilities...

ESPN.com says Monte Kiffin is leaving Tampa Bay to join the Tennessee staff

Looks like that's gonna be your D Coordinator