Official 2008-2009 College Football Thread

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Nov 24, 2008 -> 04:46 PM)
Florida is the best team in college football right now. Hands down.

As much as I hate saying it b/c I hate Florida more than any other team in any sport, it's true. They are peaking at the right time. Sure, they could lose to Alabama in the SEC Championship game, just as any team can lose any given saturday. But, Florida is ridiculous right now.

You guys hired Brian Kelly yet?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 24, 2008 -> 07:25 PM)
Definitely not if Shonn Greene comes back.

It was a very close game this year with a kid making his first ever road start in a really hostile environment.

It's a series the home team is winning anymore, and I think Ferentz was stressing it a lot more this year than in year's past.

If Iowa rolls into Ames next year thinking that trophy is theirs, they'll get a rude awakening, cause I guarantee it'll get played up here.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Nov 24, 2008 -> 08:47 PM)
It was a very close game this year with a kid making his first ever road start in a really hostile environment.

It's a series the home team is winning anymore, and I think Ferentz was stressing it a lot more this year than in year's past.

If Iowa rolls into Ames next year thinking that trophy is theirs, they'll get a rude awakening, cause I guarantee it'll get played up here.

OTOH, Iowa was still searching for a QB at the time between Christensen (yet another five star recruiting bust) and Stanzi, the much less heralded player coming into spring practice.

Iowa's program has a lot of momentum on its side, especially if they can manage to take down a B12 or SEC team in the bowl game. We've beaten Florida and LSU somehow, so it definitely can be done.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 24, 2008 -> 09:44 PM)
OTOH, Iowa was still searching for a QB at the time between Christensen (yet another five star recruiting bust) and Stanzi, the much less heralded player coming into spring practice.

Iowa's program has a lot of momentum on its side, especially if they can manage to take down a B12 or SEC team in the bowl game. We've beaten Florida and LSU somehow, so it definitely can be done.

Oh well, it's a long way off in the future, but, hey, that's all I've got as an ISU fan. ;)

I still believe we'll beat you guys next year.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Nov 24, 2008 -> 06:08 PM)
You guys hired Brian Kelly yet?

I wish we would... I've become a firm believer in Brian Kelly after reading a lot about him recently. None of the other realistic candidates do much for me, but I'd be fine with Lane Kiffin if he got hired.

Kelly is just a winner. Not sure how he would be on the national recruiting scene, but hiring the right assistants can help a lot with that. He can straight up coach with the best of them, though.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Nov 24, 2008 -> 09:18 PM)
Is there anyway ND scores on USC?

They could score in general, but if Notre Dame (1) scores 10 points plus or (2) covers the 30 point spread, I'd be surprised. I would be less suprised at number 2 since USC's offense is hot and cold, but USC will be ready and focused for this game, and they are scary in games like those, especially against inferior opponents.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

2 pieces of news today for Notre Dame and Charlie Weis:

1. According to Teddy Greenstein and the Tribune, Weis' buyout, which was reported to be huge, is actually "loose change" and won't affect if Weis is retained or not. The buyout could be anywhere from 2 to 4.5 million, based on what the paper implies. http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/colle...0,3989895.story

2. Terry Boers just said on Boers and Bernstein that Weis will be fired Monday unless Notre Dame somehow wins at USC this weekend (not happening). Take that for what it's worth, but Boers NEVER goes out on a limb and reports something one of his "peeps" said like that.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 02:16 PM)
2 pieces of news today for Notre Dame and Charlie Weis:

1. According to Teddy Greenstein and the Tribune, Weis' buyout, which was reported to be huge, is actually "loose change" and won't affect if Weis is retained or not. The buyout could be anywhere from 2 to 4.5 million, based on what the paper implies. http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/colle...0,3989895.story

2. Terry Boers just said on Boers and Bernstein that Weis will be fired Monday unless Notre Dame somehow wins at USC this weekend (not happening). Take that for what it's worth, but Boers NEVER goes out on a limb and reports something one of his "peeps" said like that.

If he's not, I think its pretty obvious that Willingham was fired for reasons other than his record.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 03:19 PM)
If he's not, I think its pretty obvious that Willingham was fired for reasons other than his record.

Well in fairness, Weis has recruited better than Willingham (on paper at least). Not saying he shouldn't be fired but that would be a difference between the two.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 02:32 PM)
Well in fairness, Weis has recruited better than Willingham (on paper at least). Not saying he shouldn't be fired but that would be a difference between the two.

You are correct technically. However it's strange that Weis won with Willingham's players at a pretty good rate the first couple of years he was in South Bend, but now the last couple with his own players, he's been pretty bad.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 02:34 PM)
You are correct technically. However it's strange that Weis won with Willingham's players at a pretty good rate the first couple of years he was in South Bend, but now the last couple with his own players, he's been pretty bad.

I think that speaks volumes for how Ty coached his players up before he handed them over.

However, its pretty strange how awful Willingham was when he went to Washington

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 03:34 PM)

I agree, but the perception of people close to the program could very well be that based on Weis's on paper recruiting they are heading in the right direction. And they are fairly young although I really don't see the type of elite talent you would expect from such highly regarded classes outside of Floyd. Not firing Weis would certainly raise questions but I don't think it as simply as Willingham being black and Weis being white.

Consider this.

Most seem to agree that Weis has recruited better than Willingham ever did. In theory, this means that Weis' recruits had at least the potential to be the better players, and thus comprise the better teams.

However, to this point, Willingham and Weis have compiled virtually identical records, at least by percentage. Arguably, Weis' record has been compiled against slightly inferior opponents. Inarguably, he has had the better (though younger) players.

Ty couldn't win with a young Brady Quinn or Jeff [however you spell it]. Weis hasn't won with a young Clausen or Tate.

Given the foregoing, who was/has been the better Notre Dame coach? Is there really any difference? And no fair counting Washington against Ty or predicting what Charlie could do next year.

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

The problem is Weis never really played football. Thus in the NFL when he was working with professionals who were already trained and polished at lower levels he can succeed.

At ND some of these players are extremely talented, they are just very raw. Weis doesnt really have the "technical" background to train these players.

Thats why I dont think Weis is a great fit for a college level program, because you are still teaching players how to play football.

Which is why Kirk Ferentz is such a good coach...he has taken many unheralded 2-3 star recruits (or no stars) like Bob Sanders, Dallas Clark, Robert Gallery...and coached them into being first and second round NFL draft picks.

The irony is that when he's brought in really elite talent (like ND, OSU, MICH, PSU get year after year), the ONE year Iowa's recruiting class was in the Top 10 in the program's history...all the kids like Doerring, Bain, Christensen, Richardson and Moeaki have been huge disappointments/transfers or injuries derailed their careers.

That's why you look at the likes of KF beating Zook almost every time (until ILL victory at home this year), despite the far superior athletic ability Iowa lines up against every game, the recruiting disadvantages Iowa has (basically like Nebraska, but having to share the state with Iowa State/UNI and also no major urban/metropolitan center like Omaha) to fight against. And no, Des Moines is NOT a major city, IMO. Or just look at Iowa's record against PSU...of course, Ohio State has been our one big kahuna that has been difficult to take down, although we did simply destroy them one time in Iowa City when Tate was QB and OSU was struggling mightily that season.

Edited by caulfield12