Official 2008-2009 College Football Thread

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 10:54 PM)
Which is why Kirk Ferentz is such a good coach...he has taken many unheralded 2-3 star recruits (or no stars) like Bob Sanders, Dallas Clark, Robert Gallery...and coached them into being first and second round NFL draft picks.

The irony is that when he's brought in really elite talent (like ND, OSU, MICH, PSU get year after year), the ONE year Iowa's recruiting class was in the Top 10 in the program's history...all the kids like Doerring, Bain, Christensen, Richardson and Moeaki have been huge disappointments/transfers or injuries derailed their careers.

That's why you look at the likes of KF beating Zook almost every time (until ILL victory at home this year), despite the far superior athletic ability Iowa lines up against every game, the recruiting disadvantages Iowa has (basically like Nebraska, but having to share the state with Iowa State/UNI and also no major urban/metropolitan center like Omaha) to fight against. And no, Des Moines is NOT a major city, IMO. Or just look at Iowa's record against PSU...of course, Ohio State has been our one big kahuna that has been difficult to take down, although we did simply destroy them one time in Iowa City when Tate was QB and OSU was struggling mightily that season.

Eh, there's no reason he should EVER lose to Iowa State. EVER. And that's why his 4-6 record against us is a joke.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 11:58 AM)
Tennessee set to hire Kiffin? That would be interesting.

Our AD is denying it, but I'm pretty damn sure Kiffin has been offered the job. I'm think they're just waiting until after the season (especially with Philip Fulmer appreciation day being this Saturday against Kentucky) to announce it, and technically, Kiffin has to accept the job. Though, that's said to be a given. He is reportedly trying to fill a coaching staff, so when he's announced as the coach, they'll already be able to announce some of the new coaches as well.

Ed Orgeron could possibly be his D-Coordinator and recruiting coordinator. While he would be phenomenal as a recruiter, I'm not sure about him being a Defensive Coordinator, but oh well... we'll see. If he would take a job as the D-Line coach and Recruiting Coordinator, that would be fantastic b/c he's a very good position coach. I just don't know if he can run an entire defense.

David Reaves (Kiffin's brother-in-law) is also rumored to be a candidate as offensive coordinator (even though Kiffin would call the plays still). Reaves is currently the Recruiting Coordinator and QB Coach at South Carolina.

If Kiffin (a great recruiter himself) brings in those guys as coaches, it looks like Tennessee could have the beginnings of one of the best recruiting staffs in the country. However, the big question is can they coach? Recruiting only brings you so far...

Btw, Ken Norton Jr (the current LB coach at USC) is also rumored to be a candidate as the defensive coordinator at UT. But, this is obviously just speculation at this point. Just thought I'd throw out some of the possibilities...

Edited by dasox24

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3731656

Looks official... Lane Kiffin will be the next Head Coach at Tennessee. I see this as a boom or bust type of hire. We know he's gonna bring in Top 10 recruiting classes while he's here, but how well can he run a team? If he can prove to be a solid head coach, this team is gonna be back up there with the Florida's and Alabama's.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Nov 28, 2008 -> 05:37 PM)
Nice win for Nebraska! 57 yard fg! At 8-4, they exceeded my expectations this year.

Callahan seems to have things going in the right direction there. If I recall correctly, they lose the RB Lucky (although the kid that played today looked good), as well as their two top receivers and Ganz. The defense also needs some work, but I think Pelini is a very good coach and that will improve as he gets more of his recruits in town. To me, Missouri and Nebraska are going to be the top two teams in the Big 12 North in the near future, and although that's not the level Nebraska used to be at, it's a start. They have a way to go to catch Mizzou talentwise though, but again, I think Pelini will work on that.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Mizzou took a couple recruits from the post-Callahan fallout. They need to keep recruiting well to compete in the long run. The next few years will determine a lot about the near future of both programs. Mizzou needs to be more than a 2-year wonder. I'm just hoping for consistent 8 win seasons, or at least the realistic chance to get 8 wins just about every year. I don't think they can expect to win 10+ very often.

Nebraska probably won't be headed back to prominence anytime soon, but they could be relevant in a couple years. I just don't see Nebraska returning to their previous form. I don't know how they ever recruited people to go to Nebraska in the first place. It's Nebraska. Lincoln is a nice town, but damn.

Nebraska has the tradition...being a Cornhusker is the equivalent of being a professional athlete there, because of the attention and adulation (and pressure) placed on Nebraska athletes. Many former pros played for Osborne...etc.

They also control not only their state (no in-state rival) but the Dakotas and many parts of the near-West.

I think Missouri and Nebraska will struggle for awhile with TX/OU and then TT and OSU also emerging as powers...they don't have to play ALL of those teams each year, but probably 2 of them. And then KSU made a crazy choice to bring in Bill Snyder, that move doesn't make much sense at all to me.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 29, 2008 -> 03:23 AM)
Mizzou took a couple recruits from the post-Callahan fallout. They need to keep recruiting well to compete in the long run. The next few years will determine a lot about the near future of both programs. Mizzou needs to be more than a 2-year wonder. I'm just hoping for consistent 8 win seasons, or at least the realistic chance to get 8 wins just about every year. I don't think they can expect to win 10+ very often.

Nebraska probably won't be headed back to prominence anytime soon, but they could be relevant in a couple years. I just don't see Nebraska returning to their previous form. I don't know how they ever recruited people to go to Nebraska in the first place. It's Nebraska. Lincoln is a nice town, but damn.

Oh come on. So what about Oklahoma ? Nebraska will be back in top 5 discussion. Not sure when though. I'm not a Nebraskan myself (went to HS there) but, I have never seen anyone so passionate about a sports team/program in my lifetime like the state of Nebraska with Nebraska football.

BTW, what a game going on in Lawrence right now! This game might have 70-80 combined pts if this keeps up.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Nov 29, 2008 -> 01:52 PM)
Oh come on. So what about Oklahoma ? Nebraska will be back in top 5 discussion. Not sure when though. I'm not a Nebraskan myself (went to HS there) but, I have never seen anyone so passionate about a sports team/program in my lifetime like the state of Nebraska with Nebraska football.

BTW, what a game going on in Lawrence right now! This game might have 70-80 combined pts if this keeps up.

Nebraska is a long way from Top 5 discussion. They're not a top 5 team in their conference.

That was a great game. Mizzou didn't get fired up until the 2nd half which is why they lost. They obviously didn't view it as a rivalry game for some reason. Nebraska is probably more of their rival in football anyway right now. I'm still going next week, hopefully Arrowhead won't be complete slop.

Some douche on ESPN just asked if they should get rid of divisions in the Big 12. So Oklahoma doesn't go to the Big 12 title game last year, that sounds like a great idea to me. Oye.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Nov 29, 2008 -> 03:09 PM)
being a top 5 team in the big 12 and the country is almost the same actually.

Touché sir.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 29, 2008 -> 03:36 PM)
That was a great game. Mizzou didn't get fired up until the 2nd half which is why they lost. They obviously didn't view it as a rivalry game for some reason. Nebraska is probably more of their rival in football anyway right now. I'm still going next week, hopefully Arrowhead won't be complete slop.

Some douche on ESPN just asked if they should get rid of divisions in the Big 12. So Oklahoma doesn't go to the Big 12 title game last year, that sounds like a great idea to me. Oye.

WTF?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 29, 2008 -> 07:33 PM)
If it comes down to fans voting for Texas over OU because TT came out today flat and uninspired, knowing their route to the B12 championship was only about a 10-25% chance after being #1 in the country and controlling their own destiny...then there's something seriously wrong with the system.

:lolhitting

The system is ridiculous. Take the common opponent of the 3, Kansas. Or take the graduation rates of the programs. Don't let other conferences determine your conference champion, just retarded.

Tennessee with a huge win tonight to help Phillip Fulmer go out on a high note. Very very emotional after the game. Phil handled it with class and you could tell he was really choked up coaching his last game for the Vols... The players carried him off the field too. Very deserving moment for a great coach.

Looks like the OU/OSU game will go down to the wire.

It seems this game is always a nail-biter for the Sooners on the road, no matter what the difference in talent between the two teams happens to be...OU's defense hasn't played nearly as well as it did last week. Once again, proof that winning on the road in college football is never easy.