Official 2008-2009 College Football Thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious if Texas or USC would go to the title game if OU loses. I doubt we will get to find out, but that would be very interesting. I would enjoy chaos again, and I still don't agree with the team in the Big 12 title game, but Florida/Oklahoma would be a fantastic national title game so I would have few problems with that.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

UF is still #6 in Sagarin's rankings today, and not really anywhere close to #5 Utah. How sure ARE we that the computers will jump UF up after playing a 13th game? And how sure are we that if they don't, even a #1 ranking from the humans would be enough to keep UF #2 ahead of the Big 12 South runner-up? I would like someone somewhere to run through this with more than just a "Florida and Alabama in a semi-final" bit of "analysis."

This is a great point that I'm not sure I would have considered otherwise, and that most people are overlooking in their rush to deem Alabama-Florida the winner-take-all primer for the mythical championship. That's certainly true for Alabama if it finishes 13-0, and I assume it's true for Florida in the human polls if the Gators take the mighty SEC at 12-1. But the computers? That's not so certain.

My concerned e-mailer is right: Florida's highest rank in any of the six computer polls is third (Richard Billingsley); after that UF is fouth, sixth, sixth, sixth and seventh, respectively. Compare that with Texas:

There is at least three positions difference between the Horns and Gators in every computer poll except Richard Billingsley's. So how much is beating Alabama -- which, again, comes into the game ranked behind Texas and Oklahoma in the computer average -- worth? The humans are all but guaranteed to vote Florida into the championship with a win Saturday, any kind of win. But will it worth enough in the computer polls (I'm thinking at least two positions per computer) to close that very wide gap with Texas? That's a shaky guess.

Chaos is not Missouri upsetting Oklahoma; in fact, that's very clean: Texas will play the SEC champion, whoever it is. Chaos is Florida beating Alabama, and still missing out because the computers are set on an OU-Texas rematch.

from yahoosports.com

Edited by caulfield12

That is a very good point actually. I get the feeling the SOS boost of beating Alabama combined with the poll boost and being a 12-1 SEC Champion would be enough to get Florida into the title game, but the computer nerds would know better than I would. If Florida wins Saturday and STILL doesn't end up in the top 2, the hell that would come from the SEC and Florida people would be incredible, and understandably so because that would make the "raw deal" Texas got today look like nothing.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 30, 2008 -> 07:32 PM)
That is a very good point actually. I get the feeling the SOS boost of beating Alabama combined with the poll boost and being a 12-1 SEC Champion would be enough to get Florida into the title game, but the computer nerds would know better than I would. If Florida wins Saturday and STILL doesn't end up in the top 2, the hell that would come from the SEC and Florida people would be incredible, and understandably so because that would make the "raw deal" Texas got today look like nothing.

yeah Texas got a raw deal.. gimme a break

I feel like everyone is taking crazy pills

TEXAS TECH BEAT TEXAS.. why the hell isn't there an outcry that Tech should be in front of Texas??????

You know why Oklahoma finished ahead of Texas? Because they beat #11 TCU and #13 Cincinnati non conference while Texas was beating up on Rice, Arkansas, Florida Atlantic, and UTEP

The computers got it right, the point of the BCS is to put the best overall teams in order based on more things than just "Oh well we beat them, so we should be ahead of them".. Oklahomas 11-1 season was just more impressive than Texas' 11-1 season and THATS why they are the Big 12 South champs and playing next Saturday

QUOTE (Shadows @ Nov 30, 2008 -> 08:39 PM)

TEXAS TECH BEAT TEXAS.. why the hell isn't there an outcry that Tech should be in front of Texas??????

You know why Oklahoma finished ahead of Texas? Because they beat #11 TCU and #13 Cincinnati non conference while Texas was beating up on Rice, Arkansas, Florida Atlantic, and UTEP

The computers got it right, the point of the BCS is to put the best overall teams in order based on more things than just "Oh well we beat them, so we should be ahead of them".. Oklahomas 11-1 season was just more impressive than Texas' 11-1 season and THATS why they are the Big 12 South champs and playing next Saturday

Texas Tech was embarrassed on national television 8 days ago, that's why they are out of this. If they wanted to be in the discussion, they should have continue to convincingly beat Texas instead of letting them back into the game and almost letting them win the game for that matter. I put "raw deal" in quotes because I am aware not everybody agrees with me. I think people that continue to ignore Texas' win over Oklahoma on a neutral field are taking crazy pills, but this is a matter of opinion and people aren't going to agree. If Florida wins, they might get screwed by the computer and Texas could have got a break not having to play this weekend at this rate though, that's the life of the "computers" being in control.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Shadows @ Nov 30, 2008 -> 08:39 PM)

As much as I don't like Mack Brown. That argument is just flawed. OOC schedule shouldn't have ANY bearing on a conference champion. Texas played a tougher conference schedule this year and beat OU head to head. It's silly that OU got the nod in the end, but I'm enjoyin watching UT fans b**** and moan.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 30, 2008 -> 08:42 PM)
Texas Tech was embarrassed on national television 8 days ago, that's why they are out of this. If they wanted to be in the discussion, they should have continue to convincingly beat Texas instead of letting them back into the game and almost letting them win the game for that matter. I put "raw deal" in quotes because I am aware not everybody agrees with me. I think people that continue to ignore Texas' win over Oklahoma on a neutral field are taking crazy pills, but this is a matter of opinion and people aren't going to agree. If Florida wins, they might get screwed by the computer and Texas could have got a break not having to play this weekend at this rate though, that's the life of the "computers" being in control.

Sorry, but that's just not good enough

It doesn't matter if Texas Tech was embarrassed 8 days ago.. they still beat Texas in a game they DOMINATED until the final minutes when they came right down the field and won regardless..

If Texas Tech getting embarrassed doesn't matter then Texas win on a neutral field doesn't matter either.. It was a three way tie, and the team with the more impressive resume won out in the end.

And you're kidding yourself if you think Florida beating Alabama next week wont vault them into the title game.. I see no way it doesn't happen, regardless of what they are looking at right now.. LSU wasn't anywhere near the title game last season, and when the final BCS came out winning the SEC sent them from what, 7th I think, to the title game.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Nov 30, 2008 -> 08:44 PM)
As much as I don't like Mack Brown. That argument is just flawed. OOC schedule shouldn't have ANY bearing on a conference champion. Texas played a tougher conference schedule this year and beat OU head to head. It's silly that OU got the nod in the end, but I'm enjoyin watching UT fans b**** and moan.

I agree, and honestly I am not THAT pissed OU is in the big 12 title game, as much as it may seem that way. I just think that Texas playing a tougher schedule in league play and beating OU head to head means they deserve to be in the league title game over OU. The only reason I throw Tech out is the margin of their loss. Had they lost by 10 at OU in fact, I might argue they deserve to be in the game the most since they kept it that close in Norman, but they didn't.

QUOTE (Shadows @ Nov 30, 2008 -> 08:46 PM)
Sorry, but that's just not good enough

It doesn't matter if Texas Tech was embarrassed 8 days ago.. they still beat Texas in a game they DOMINATED until the final minutes when they came right down the field and won regardless..

If Texas Tech getting embarrassed doesn't matter then Texas win on a neutral field doesn't matter either.. It was a three way tie, and the team with the more impressive resume won out in the end.

And you're kidding yourself if you think Florida beating Alabama next week wont vault them into the title game.. I see no way it doesn't happen, regardless of what they are looking at right now.. LSU wasn't anywhere near the title game last season, and when the final BCS came out winning the SEC sent them from what, 7th I think, to the title game.

The LSU thing happened because everybody lost. The domination factor of the Tech/Texas game is a ridiculous argument since Texas led the game with 10 seconds left, and I am not the one that thinks that about the Florida/Alabama game, the experts like Brad Edwards and the guy on yahoo are.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Nov 30, 2008 -> 08:44 PM)

It has to determine it.. Texas beat Oklahoma, Texas Tech beat Texas, and Oklahoma beat Texas Tech.. they all finished 11-1 (7-1)

Theres really no other way you can determine it except whoever has the most impressive resume when the regular season is over.. Even if Texas Tech got creamed by OU, its not fair to put them out of it due to that because they are still tied with the other 2 teams regardless..

If it wasn't a three way tie and Texas beats Tech, then we dont even have to have this discussion because Texas would be going.. but that didn't happen, and this was the only other way to determine it.. let the best overall team advance, and they did

I agree that non conference shouldn't decide the conference champ, however, what else could they have done?

QUOTE (Shadows @ Nov 30, 2008 -> 08:49 PM)
It has to determine it.. Texas beat Oklahoma, Texas Tech beat Texas, and Oklahoma beat Texas Tech.. they all finished 11-1 (7-1)

Theres really no other way you can determine it except whoever has the most impressive resume when the regular season is over.. Even if Texas Tech got creamed by OU, its not fair to put them out of it due to that because they are still tied with the other 2 teams regardless..

If it wasn't a three way tie and Texas beats Tech, then we dont even have to have this discussion because Texas would be going.. but that didn't happen, and this was the only other way to determine it.. let the best overall team advance, and they did

I agree that non conference shouldn't decide the conference champ, however, what else could they have done?

That's true, and that's why the system is really at fault here. No matter how you determine who goes to Kansas City, it's a flawed argument full of holes. Too bad the conference commisioners don't see things fit for a playoff.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 30, 2008 -> 07:22 PM)
I'm curious if Texas or USC would go to the title game if OU loses. I doubt we will get to find out, but that would be very interesting. I would enjoy chaos again, and I still don't agree with the team in the Big 12 title game, but Florida/Oklahoma would be a fantastic national title game so I would have few problems with that.

It would be a complete joke if USC was put into the title game

Edited by WhiteSoxfan1986

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 30, 2008 -> 10:04 PM)
People upset with the Okla-Texas result need to be mad at the Big 12, not the BCS.

It's the 5th tiebreaker. 5th. Link

Find me a better way to determine this tie. Point differential? Yeck.

Also, funny thing that I'm hoping happens. Mizzou beats OU in the Big 12 game somehow. Argue how Texas goes in ahead of Tech. It would happen, but that's a pathetic argument to make.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 30, 2008 -> 10:51 PM)
In my world, there will never be a true national champion until a playoff system is in place... like... say... every other sport and every other division of college football.

Who was the best team in the NFL last season? It wasn't the Giants

At least in College Football the regular season is must win every week.. I don't wanna see some 8-4 team get hot in a playoff, I like it the way it is.. the regular season and who you play means everything

QUOTE (Shadows @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 10:13 AM)
At least in College Football the regular season is must win every week.. I don't wanna see some 8-4 team get hot in a playoff, I like it the way it is.. the regular season and who you play means everything

The regular season is 100% meaningless unless various people and computers VOTE you into the championship game. College football - where you can win every game and not be a champion.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 06:48 AM)
The regular season is 100% meaningless unless various people and computers VOTE you into the championship game. College football - where you can win every game and not be a champion.

Exactly. It's based way too much on preconceived notions of who the best teams are before a single game is played.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 06:48 AM)

Thats not true

How many times has there been an undefeated team that wasn't in the title game? All I can think of is Auburn, and even then you cant really say the two teams who did go weren't deserving..

QUOTE (Shadows @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 12:42 PM)
Thats not true

How many times has there been an undefeated team that wasn't in the title game? All I can think of is Auburn, and even then you cant really say the two teams who did go weren't deserving..

Boise State and Utah both did it a couple years ago AND won their BCS game. And they're both undefeated again this year. I know the standard argument is that "Well, they play in weaker conferences, so they would get killed in a title game", but the problem with the current system is that there's no way to definitely know that's true.

And in the case of Auburn, even though the two other teams that went were very deserving, it does not change the fact that Auburn still went undefeated in arguably the toughest conference, and still did not get a chance to win the title. That's not the fault of the other teams or conferences (USc and Oklahoma IIRC), but the fault of the system.

And in your example of the Giants in the NFL, I agree they were the not the best team in the NFL, but unlike in college football, they won their title truly on the field, not based on some computer formula.