Official 2008-2009 College Football Thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're reporting locally that it is a done deal as well. Apparently they offered him the job and gave him a deadline to accept or reject.

I now can see how the rumors about Muschamp got started. Someone from Auburn leaks they are about to hire a former Auburn D-Coordinator who left for Texas, the media makes mad assumptions and jumps on it. It was funny, the were playing on the Finebaum Show yesterday two media reports within 3 hours of each other. The first in Montgomery said the latest news was Steve Spurrier was now Auburn's top choice and Auburn was planning to go after him hard. Three hours later a Mobile TV station reports Will Muschamp was to be named Auburn's new Head Coach the next day. That's what happens when you have a media/state frenzy over college football.

The Chizik reports seem to be solid this time, but you never know.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 06:59 PM)
Wow...5-19 and you get hired to be Auburn's coach. WTF?

C'mon Jason, tell me that was simply a shot at Heads?

Chizik was a highly regarded defensive coordinator at both Auburn and Texas. How many coaches do you know that are going to win immediately at Iowa State? (maybe that was a shot at Heads, but not intended to be)

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 07:02 PM)

Chizik was a highly regarded defensive coordinator at both Auburn and Texas. How many coaches do you know that are going to win immediately at Iowa State? (maybe that was a shot at Heads, but not intended to be)

ISU fans are pissed at him for lying to the fans, and the players. They would go to the end of the earth for the guy, and now most feel betrayed.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 11:38 PM)
Personally I would have voted for:

1. Colt McCoy

2. Tim Tebow

3. Sam Bradford

I'd have had Tebow 4th, behind all 3 Big 12 South guys (McCoy, Bradford, Harrell in that order). I understand Tebow is a "leader" and the SEC plays much better defense than the Big 12 does, but the SEC was down this season even if people won't admit it, and Tebow's numbers are just so inferior to the big 3 from the Big 12, who all also only lost 1 game.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 11:40 PM)
I'd have had Tebow 4th, behind all 3 Big 12 South guys (McCoy, Bradford, Harrell in that order). I understand Tebow is a "leader" and the SEC plays much better defense than the Big 12 does, but the SEC was down this season even if people won't admit it, and Tebow's numbers are just so inferior to the big 3 from the Big 12, who all also only lost 1 game.

Tebow's #'s were down because his offense only utilized him to the degree they needed him to win. He attempted less than 20 passes against Hawaii (14), Tennessee (15), Kentucky (15), Georgia (13) and The Citadel (11). He wasn't always in the game in the 4th quarter. Florida scored a lot of different ways and they don't have a Big 12 style offense. His stats aren't as good because he wasn't asked to be Dan Marino or Dan Fouts. At the end of the day, if I have one game to win, I want him on my side. The guy threw 2 interceptions all year. I don't think he is any less of a player because of how he is utilized. I've seen enough of him that I think once he stays and continues to do what he does next year, he will go down as one of the greatest college players ever. And he should, in my opinion.

On a separate note, for those that have CBS College Sports Network, the Boston College - Miami, aka Flutie Miracle Game is on right now. It's tied 28-28 in the 3rd quarter. I wonder if BC can pull it out again?

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Dec 14, 2008 -> 12:42 AM)
Tebow's #'s were down because his offense only utilized him to the degree they needed him to win. He attempted less than 20 passes against Hawaii (14), Tennessee (15), Kentucky (15), Georgia (13) and The Citadel (11). He wasn't always in the game in the 4th quarter. Florida scored a lot of different ways and they don't have a Big 12 style offense. His stats aren't as good because he wasn't asked to be Dan Marino or Dan Fouts. At the end of the day, if I have one game to win, I want him on my side. The guy threw 2 interceptions all year. I don't think he is any less of a player because of how he is utilized. I've seen enough of him that I think once he stays and continues to do what he does next year, he will go down as one of the greatest college players ever. And he should, in my opinion.

I can't argue with any of this (although Florida blatently runs up the score, so he doesn't lose as many numbers as you'd think, even though Florida is a running football team), but Oklahoma runs it a lot too and Bradford still put up all those crazy numbers. I have mentioned many times that I think Tim Tebow is college football's answer to Christian Laettner, and I really believe that. An all time great college player on a great college team who will probably have a long, but completely unremarkable, professional career. I think they got it right last night with Tebow finishing 3rd though.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 14, 2008 -> 03:34 PM)
Chizik addressed the ISU team for 90 seconds today.

Sounds like a Petrino-esque exit. Saban is really going to enjoy his time in the SEC West, and Ole Miss might be a really good program there for a long time too.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 14, 2008 -> 03:35 PM)
Sounds like a Petrino-esque exit. Saban is really going to enjoy his time in the SEC West, and Ole Miss might be a really good program there for a long time too.

Gene walked in, Said im the new head coach at Auburn, I believe in you guys, go cyclones. Pooft walks out. Game Over. Everyone went crazy, got a few words off on him, even coaches

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 11:38 PM)
Personally I would have voted for:

1. Colt McCoy

2. Tim Tebow

3. Sam Bradford

Why is that? Bradford had the best numbers of the bunch. Tebow should have been last on everyones ballot as he probably shoudnt have even been one of the 3 finalists.

Ah I had to edit because I saw above that Tebow's intangibles were a major factor.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 14, 2008 -> 05:53 PM)
Why is that? Bradford had the best numbers of the bunch. Tebow should have been last on everyones ballot as he probably shoudnt have even been one of the 3 finalists.

Ah I had to edit because I saw above that Tebow's intangibles were a major factor.

Personally I think McCoy had a better season than Bradford, and I think he had a worse team around him too.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Dec 15, 2008 -> 01:05 AM)
Personally I think McCoy had a better season than Bradford, and I think he had a worse team around him too.

He probably did have a worse team around him, but its hard to argue against a guy who led the nation in many of the QB categories including QB rating.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 14, 2008 -> 05:53 PM)

I just don't think the best player means the best numbers in all cases. I've watched Tebow enough over the past few years that I am a believer. Lots of guys would have won the Heisman if it were simply about numbers.

What I did like about this year is I don't think Heisman Hype came into play at all. There was no clear cut favorite and the guys at the top really separated themselves in the 2nd half of the season. No billboards in Times Square necessary this year.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Dec 15, 2008 -> 06:45 AM)
I just don't think the best player means the best numbers in all cases. I've watched Tebow enough over the past few years that I am a believer. Lots of guys would have won the Heisman if it were simply about numbers.

What I did like about this year is I don't think Heisman Hype came into play at all. There was no clear cut favorite and the guys at the top really separated themselves in the 2nd half of the season. No billboards in Times Square necessary this year.

But at some point it has to be about numbers. All three candidates for the most part passed that first test of being on another level than other players, and leading their team to success. After that point, it should be about the numbers mostly. Especially when a player like Bradford leads to nation in so many categories.

And if you think this was a year without the hype, thats probably because you ARE a Tebow supporter who is a beneficiary of most of the hype.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 05:02 PM)

It's a shot at Auburn too. I'm not knocking Chizik, he was a good hire for Iowa State. The key is Iowa State. Auburn is only a few years removed from being a split national champion and forced out a guy that did a pretty darn good job only to hire someone that has never proven anything at the head coaching level.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 15, 2008 -> 12:45 PM)
It's a shot at Auburn too. I'm not knocking Chizik, he was a good hire for Iowa State. The key is Iowa State. Auburn is only a few years removed from being a split national champion and forced out a guy that did a pretty darn good job only to hire someone that has never proven anything at the head coaching level.

Auburn didn't get a share of the national championship when they went undefeated.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 11:39 AM)
Whoa, how did I not see that ""youtube sensation" Sam McGuffie left UM?

http://mgoblog.com/content/sam-mcguffie-others-leaving-team

Any inside story from someone?

Just wanted to quote myself, it looks like he really did leave. Too many concussions and too far from home.

http://michigan.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=888262

As a Bucks fan, good.

Two things...from a couple of pages back...Rock, the Illini have played other Illinois schools, they played EIU last year and SIU the year before, I believe. I think part of the problem is, besides NW and NIU, all of the other Illinois schools are I-AA and lower (scuse me, Football Championship Subdivision). And I believe that Ron Guenther likes to schedule more FBS schools. Also, the fact that NIU was good and UI was, well, not, it scared the crap outta them.

Two, McCoy should've won. He is underrated, has some ok, but not great, WRs in Quan Cosby and Jordan Shipley...lost his running back...and they still go 11-1.

Bradford had lots of weapons.

Tebow had Harvin.

Even Harrell, who should have been there and I think that's the biggest snub ever in Heisman history, had Crabtree.

I would have voted: McCoy, Bradford, Harrell, Tebow.