2008 Beijing Summer Olympics Thread

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 09:41 AM)
As Costas was signing off on the NBC primetime coverage last night, he said that May/Walsh had the most impressive performance of the day in the Olympics. What a joke....I'd say that 19.30 seconds says otherwise.

To be fair Bolt was the night before. In China they took place in different days.

Just saw they are investigating the age of one of the Chinese gymnasts. He Kexin may actually be only 14. If found to be 14, the US will be awarded the team gold and Nastia will be awarded a gold in one of the individual events.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 10:44 PM)
Just saw they are investigating the age of one of the Chinese gymnasts. He Kexin may actually be only 14. If found to be 14, the US will be awarded the team gold and Nastia will be awarded a gold in one of the individual events.

There's a ton of evidence on her.

Still gotta feel bad for the gymnasts, themselves. He is just a kid, it sucks that she was put in this position.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 01:14 PM)
I agree. There was nothing more impressive in the Olympics than that. A guy that tall and can get out of the blocks the way he does and with that speed. Unbelieveable.

I would love to see him run the 400. That stride would really give him an advantage.

I'd love to see him in a winged helmet learning to play WR for Michigan! With that speed, size and athleticism, think about how good a WR he could be.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 12:21 AM)
I'd love to see him in a winged helmet learning to play WR for Michigan! With that speed, size and athleticism, think about how good a WR he could be.

I saw some crazy s*** on sportscenter... Using his 200 meter time, he'd run the 40 yard dash in about 3.5 seconds. Unreal. What's a great score for an NFL prospect? 4.4?

Who knew the US was this good in volleyball? Geez. Both golds on the beach and both in the gold medal match indoor. Also, stupid interview with the men's coach after that great match. It was 2-0 US and they almost lost, came down to a couple points, but 2 of the 3 questions about what happened to his in-laws. That's great journalism. We've already heard this story a billion times, but it's more important than what was probably the match of the Olympics for volleyball.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 02:05 AM)
Who knew the US was this good in volleyball? Geez. Both golds on the beach and both in the gold medal match indoor. Also, stupid interview with the men's coach after that great match. It was 2-0 US and they almost lost, came down to a couple points, but 2 of the 3 questions about what happened to his in-laws. That's great journalism. We've already heard this story a billion times, but it's more important than what was probably the match of the Olympics for volleyball.

I was pissed at the line of questioning also. The gold medal is the story, f the human interest story (I'm sure the coach feels the same way). Anyway, great game. Now I'm gonna watch some power walking....

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 06:37 AM)
Great night for the US team in track. 2/3 in the 110 hurdles and 1/2/3 in the 400 meters. This is where these guys earn their keep.

I would say more of a salvaged night after those baton drops. The commentators ripped the US coaching/mgmt up and down after that. Right before I was telling my wife whomever is coaching the team needs to get their act together in the next four years. It used to be an automatic two or three medals in any of the sprint races in the past. Granted the rise of teams like Jamaica has closed that gap but dropping batons, stepping on lane lines, etc. as often as we have seen seems more than just bad luck. I would have never guessed we would lead the medal race with the drop in track and swimming success. Not that the olympics should be about medal counts, but the US is fortunate now that Russia and China are now splitting the medal haul in the artsy-judgy type events.

SFF

Edited by SpringfieldFan

The volleyball stuff is outstanding, great game last night. Also, men's water polo (speaking of sports I had no idea we were good at) did what all American teams have done throughout the olympics and crushed Serbia. That puts them into the gold medal match, as they'll try to avoid getting the silver the women's water polo team had to settle for. The basketball team looked like they had things under control with a 21 point lead and Ginobili out, but Argentina is currently making a furious comeback in the 2nd quarter as the U.S. team decided this was a good time to take a nap.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (maggliopipe @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 12:28 AM)
I saw some crazy s*** on sportscenter... Using his 200 meter time, he'd run the 40 yard dash in about 3.5 seconds. Unreal. What's a great score for an NFL prospect? 4.4?

In the 40 he would probably be over 4. A time of 3.5 is superhuman. It takes him a while to accelerate to full speed, and that doesn't come until about 30-40 meters into it. So I'd have to imagine he'd be around 4.1 if he was actually a NFL prospect.

Boy what a horrible 2nd quarter for the U.S., 21 point lead early in the 2nd is down to 9 at halftime. They might want to wake up and keep in mind that they go right back to laughingstock if they lose, and not only that, but even worse since they would have blown a 21 point lead if that occurs.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 09:08 AM)
Boy what a horrible 2nd quarter for the U.S., 21 point lead early in the 2nd is down to 9 at halftime. They might want to wake up and keep in mind that they go right back to laughingstock if they lose, and not only that, but even worse since they would have blown a 21 point lead if that occurs.

Why are they showing this on tape delay on NBC? They could of cut the Today show short.

Watching the game online, is it wrong that I like it without the commentary?

US has to be dominating the boards. Would be nice if they could make more free throws. ARG gets nothing close to the basket.

Edited by Brian

The United States lead is 78-64 after 3 quarters. I understand Argentina is the 2nd best team in this tournament, but we've looked pretty bad since early in the 2nd quarter. Hopefully the Americans play a strong 4th quarter and can take a 20 or so point win into the Spain game with the gold medal on the line. They should have this one in the bag as a victory though, I can't see Argentina being 15 points better in the 4th quarter.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 09:53 AM)
The volleyball stuff is outstanding, great game last night. Also, men's water polo (speaking of sports I had no idea we were good at) did what all American teams have done throughout the olympics and crushed Serbia. That puts them into the gold medal match, as they'll try to avoid getting the silver the women's water polo team had to settle for. The basketball team looked like they had things under control with a 21 point lead and Ginobili out, but Argentina is currently making a furious comeback in the 2nd quarter as the U.S. team decided this was a good time to take a nap.

Men's VB last night, I enjoyed watching several guys I played against back in the day, especially Sean Rooney who went on a jump serving tear to really turn the tide on the Russians.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 10:49 AM)
Carmelo has 21 points and has made just 3 shots

And Manu has only 2 for Argentina

Manu has been out with an injury since early on, which is why I am so concerned. This is probably a very close game if he didn't get injured, team U.S.A. has just struggled big time. They've taken 30 three pointers, they had only taken about 60 if you combine all the previous games.

Team U.S.A. wins 101-81 over Argentina, scoring 100+ again and winning by 20+ (they've won by that much every game, with the closest games being today and a 21 point win over Angola). Argentina is going to look back at this game with what if's, because if they had Ginobili it probably is at least a relatively close game. No matter, the U.S. advances to play Spain. I am a bit worried after watching today's game, but the U.S. beat them by 37 points about a week ago, I can't imagine the teams have become 38 points different in about 7 days.

Edited by whitesoxfan101