Quentin out of lineup til Thurs

whitesoxbrian

You know, I have a lot of respect for MLB hitters who just shrug off getting hit and take their base as if nothing happened... that mess hurts. It's bad enough to be talking 75, 80, but when we're talking about over 90, that's gotta hurt pretty bad.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 06:19 PM)
You know, I have a lot of respect for MLB hitters who just shrug off getting hit and take their base as if nothing happened... that mess hurts. It's bad enough to be talking 75, 80, but when we're talking about over 90, that's gotta hurt pretty bad.

When Carlos gets hit, the ball gets hurt.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 09:56 PM)
I was hit by 90 mph fastballs in the backs of both elbows in the same game, and I'll be honest, my hands were in and out of numbness for a week and I was sore for about 3 or 4 weeks.

I hear ya... my bruise got so friggin' big and spread so much...literally black from gettin hit on the elbow they sent me to the hospital for precautionary. 70 smarts. 80 hurts. 90 flat out sucks. And it doesn't go away after a few days.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 09:56 PM)
I was hit by 90 mph fastballs in the backs of both elbows in the same game, and I'll be honest, my hands were in and out of numbness for a week and I was sore for about 3 or 4 weeks.

I got hit by a Kris Honel fastball just below my shoulder and I was bruised for a good three weeks (seams and all). Carlos gets pelted each day in the same spot over and over. I think some rest will do him well.

He's been on fire lately, but he looked lost against Beckett, plus a couple days off for the superstar isn't a bad thing right now in mid August. Good timing in that regard, hopefully he'll be even more refreshed and ready to roll the rest of the way when he comes back.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (BearSox @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 08:22 PM)
I don't care what anyone says, IMO, Javy is our 2nd best pitcher. Before I'd say he is our best, but that title goes to Danks now.

Ummmm...no.

Not until he has a stretch where he beats 2-3 above .500 teams consecutively (something like Floyd and Buehrle are much more capable of doing, although Gavin's been fading, despite the win total...heck, Adam Russell is 4-0)

He's the pitching version of Thome (to many Sox fans)...great stats and looks good on paper...but sometimes he comes up short when we really need the big hit or clutch start against the best teams in baseball.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 07:44 AM)
Ummmm...no.

Not until he has a stretch where he beats 2-3 above .500 teams consecutively (something like Floyd and Buehrle are much more capable of doing, although Gavin's been fading, despite the win total...heck, Adam Russell is 4-0)

He's the pitching version of Thome (to many Sox fans)...great stats and looks good on paper...but sometimes he comes up short when we really need the big hit or clutch start against the best teams in baseball.

Jim Thome has been the fire for about 2 solid months now and since June has been as big of a part of this offense as anyone, to include Carlos Quentin. And in any case, I don't see how his .887 OPS is comparable to Javy's very average 4.50 ERA.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 01:01 PM)
For all the times he gets hit, our team just doesnt retaliate-its our reputation so he keeps getting drilled

They don't throw at him intentionally. He crowds the plate, they throw inside, he gets hit. It would be senseless to retaliate.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 05:09 PM)
there's a reason his ERA is still 4.5 after throwing what... 8 innings of shutout ball? it's because... wait for it

he hasn't been very good this year

whoops? not quite.

LOL.

hopefully it's just one game, but honestly we already knew Javy wouldn't give us a good chance to win anyways

we knew he wouldn't give us a chance, huh?

8 IP, one walk, 10 strikeouts, 0 runs.

it sounds like he gave us a great chance, i.e., you were wrong.

whoops, indeed.

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 12:47 PM)
LOL.

we knew he wouldn't give us a chance, huh?

8 IP, one walk, 10 strikeouts, 0 runs.

it sounds like he gave us a great chance, i.e., you were wrong.

whoops, indeed.

Looks like you just troll through the threads to find predictions that end up being wrong, just to get your jollies.

Congratulations, I'm glad you value your time. What a joke.

Javy's sucked this year. The fact that you're not disputing that fact, and instead are just fishing for the "I proved you wrong" arguement, just proves you're a troll.

I have the right as does anyone to make predictions, right or wrong. Do us all a favor here and add something else to the conversations besides "LOL U WERE WRONG". Child.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 12:56 PM)
If you are going to make bold predictions, be able face the music when they are wrong.

The music = Trollers? Ok.

What about the previous game where I stated the game was over, and took flak from a few posters for making that prediction.

Guess what, Tony? I didn't come back with the adolescent "I told you so!" posts for those who said we were going to win that game when we DID end up losing.

Some of the people here, seriously. Visit the chat sometime, I'm definitely not the only person who feels this way about this place. You guys have more posters who care more about 1-upping people who make false predictions, than they care about the games, or their fellow Sox fans. That's a joke, IMO.