What were your favorite games to play as a kid?

shipps

We would play running bases more than anything,but also played "off the wall"(throw a rubber ball off wall and make the other person miss it) if we only had 2 people.Played Mike Tyson punch out and Cruisin USA until my thumbs cramped up.And I also enjoyed 7 minutes in the closet. ;)

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 30, 2008 -> 11:45 AM)
We would play running bases more than anything,but also played "off the wall"(throw a rubber ball off wall and make the other person miss it) if we only had 2 people.Played Mike Tyson punch out and Cruisin USA until my thumbs cramped up.And I also enjoyed 7 minutes in the closet alone. ;)

Fixed.

There was game we'd play in junior high, several times in the summer, that was quite the thrill.

We'd go to the baseball fields with a driver and a set of golf balls. Near home plate, where the area had loose mud, we'd set the tee and smack the s*** out of golfballs. It was sort of like a home run derby to see the distance and things we would hit. The ultimate prize was beyond RF, 500+ft away from homeplate -- the local pool. No one could hit the pool in one swing, though; but we're sure a few bounced in. No one was at the pool during these times, of course.

What made it even more ridiculous is the Police Heights police station is literally on the same land, several blocks away. The first time we did this, even with full knowledge of the department's location, the cops chased us. There was only one access point for drivers (the pool) so we were able to react quickly and leave. This happened several more times, until one occasion (the last we did this) they come from two directions. The other direction being along the bikepath we'd usually take when leaving. We had to cut through peoples backyards on our bikes while they were chasing us on foot/vehicle. Looking back now it's funny, but I know I was scared to death when it was happening.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Homerun Derby was one of my favorites to do all the way to high school. My sophomore year before games we would go to the little league diamonds and hit balls out of a 200 foot field.

I like to play gym games like Crooks in the Candy Store, Bomb Ball, Dodgeball, Kickball.

In our neighborhood we'd get this monsterous ball, probably 2 feet in diameter, and we'd have to kick or punch the ball and it could only bounce once, pretty fun, and pretty hard after a while.

We also made up a game similar to rugby or handball without the contact. We'd used a basketball and you could only dribble it twice and couldn't forward pass it to your teammates. Anything in a yard was out of bounds and the other team got it. We played in 100 ft long part of the street.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Aug 30, 2008 -> 03:35 PM)
In my mind, I'm a four square legend.

2 square was more popular at my school, but they had so many dumb rules, it was almost impossible to get knocked out. Once in a while we'd make up a 9 square (3x3). The server was the middle square, I never got there though, only to the 7th square. They made us stop playing it after a few times because of fights.

Almost anything to do with baseball. If it wasn't a league day, we would get a bunch of guys together and play lob pitch league ball in our local prairie or baseball diamond. Sometimes left or right field would be "out" if we didn't have enough guys. If we only had 2 or 4 guys, then we would go to the local school or VFW hall, get some chalk and draw a square box on a brick wall, and play a game of "fast pitch" or "strikeout" (whatever you called it depend on where you grew up).

At night, we would play what we called "Catch one-Catch All" The idea was that if you were "IT" and you tagged someone, you would be "IT" together, and then so on and so on.. We would play the using the whole block and hide anywhere, while the first guy was "IT" and counted to 50. The object, if there was anyone that was not caught before curfew hit, (or whoever was the last one caught or found) he would be the winner. Sometimes there would be up to 20-25 of us at the start of it.

Anyone play "Mother May I?" "All American Eagles?" or our old time south side Calumet Park favorite "Kill The Guy With The Football"

(I grew up in a little town of Calumet Park. For those of you who don't know where that is, it's just east of Blue Island between Halsted and Ashland ave on 127th street)

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Aug 30, 2008 -> 07:16 PM)
Anyone play "Mother May I?" "All American Eagles?" or our old time south side Calumet Park favorite "Kill The Guy With The Football"

(I grew up in a little town of Calumet Park. For those of you who don't know where that is, it's just east of Blue Island between Halsted and Ashland ave on 127th street)

Haha, the PC name for the game

Ghosts in the graveyard was the best, hands down. We would have anywhere from 6-25 kids playing at any time.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Aug 31, 2008 -> 06:57 AM)
Home Run Derby.

Yeah we would play alot of that too.We would use a spongeball because it would level the playing field to where we could swing as hard as we could and the ball wouldnt go 300 feet.Which was important because the yard was small.

Anybody else ever play 500?

One guy would hit a rubber ball (or a softball) and if you caught it on a fly it was worth 100 points, one bounce was 75, two bounces 50, three bounces 25 and no points for 4 or more bounces.

First guy to 500 was the batter for the next game.

It would get pretty physical once someone got close to 500.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Aug 31, 2008 -> 09:55 AM)
Anybody else ever play 500?

One guy would hit a rubber ball (or a softball) and if you caught it on a fly it was worth 100 points, one bounce was 75, two bounces 50, three bounces 25 and no points for 4 or more bounces.

First guy to 500 was the batter for the next game.

It would get pretty physical once someone got close to 500.

My softball team still plays 500 when we practice before games if we have time to spare