Republican Convention Thread.

Rex Kickass

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ratings are in, not good....

GOP Convention Broadcast TV Ratings Lower than '04

According to preliminary national data from Nielsen Media Research, the three broadcast networks combined racked up a viewership of less than 11 million viewers, compared with the 14.8 million viewers who watched the networks’ coverage on the comparable night of the GOP gathering in 2004. That's also down from the 12.48 million who watched Senator Hillary Clinton’s call for unity among Democrats last week at that party's convention in Denver.

More precise national ratings, as well as cable ratings, will be in later Wednesday.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 02:28 PM)

According to preliminary national data from Nielsen Media Research, the three broadcast networks combined racked up a viewership of less than 11 million viewers, compared with the 14.8 million viewers who watched the networks’ coverage on the comparable night of the GOP gathering in 2004. That's also down from the 12.48 million who watched Senator Hillary Clinton’s call for unity among Democrats last week at that party's convention in Denver.

More precise national ratings, as well as cable ratings, will be in later Wednesday.

The conventions are ALL about the speeches, and nobody in their right mind will argue the point that the lineup of speakers for the democrats was much more impressive than what the GOP has lined up.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 01:36 PM)
The conventions are ALL about the speeches, and nobody in their right mind will argue the point that the lineup of speakers for the democrats was much more impressive than what the GOP has lined up.

Not to mention that whole hurricane thing messing things up a bit...

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 02:38 PM)
Yeah the schedule has certainly been screwed up by the hurricane as well, but I'd feel bad blaming ratings on a hurricane.

yea, but it is a factor. It really got them off to a bad start.

The DNC had Obama v Clinton to hype it. It had the entire weekend to build up. Then they hit the ground running on Monday and REALLY took off Tuesday with the Hillary speech.

The RNC got screwed by Gustav and Palin. Gustav was the weekend talk and when it got to convention time: "who is this woman?"

Like I said in the Palin thread, I want to see how the week plays out, but I cant see Palin getting near the 28 million Hillary got. And McCain wont touch the 38 million Obama got. And in the end, that isnt good for them.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 02:28 PM)

Not as bad as I first thought:

More than 21.5 million people watched the second night of the 2008 Republican National Convention — a 17% decrease from the 26 million viewers who tuned in last week for day two of the Democratic National Convention.

I would argue yesterday was really "Day 1" of the convention, so compare that to the 22 million Michelle Obama got.. not too shabby.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 09:20 PM)
He said something to the effect that you never heard at the Dem convention a mention of radical islam... John McCain will defeat radical Islam. Not radical terrorists... radical Islam.

The vast majority of terrorists are radical Islamics.

Radical Islamics preach destroying Israel and the West

Oh, and my God you know how to word things to make anything GOP look bad.

I'm not watching, but if Romney said: "John McCain will defeat radical Islam", as you just wrote, that is much different from your original statement of "Romney just delcared war on Islam".

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

I just turned on MSNBC, and they DO have Olberdouche doing the convention. He seems to ne talking very 'restrained', almost slowing his speech down and speaking each word very clearly. maybe that is his strategy for not blurting out something that would get him fined?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 09:20 PM)
He said something to the effect that you never heard at the Dem convention a mention of radical islam... John McCain will defeat radical Islam. Not radical terrorists... radical Islam.

Eh, that's about right. But it's kind of a stupid thing to say because it's not something you can "defeat." There is no "victory." You can't "surrender" to it, either.

Nice Huck... call the media elitist. That'll help prop up the POW / Sexiism Defense Shield.

The media actually did a more thorough vetting of the VP than the campaign did. Dont get made at them for doing McCain's job.

PS: Lest you think I am ripping on Huck, I actually liked him far better than McCain.

Edit: He just implied that Democrats are all well-fare babies.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

By the way: Palin did NOT get more votes in Wasilla then Biden got in the primaries.

According to the Anchorage Daily News archive, Sarah Palin won the 1996 Mayoral Seat of Wasilla by 617-413 against the incumbent.

Biden got 638 in NH alone. Plus 694 in SC. 15,704 in Florida... yes more than twice the ENTIRE city of Wasilla.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 07:38 PM)
By the way: Palin did NOT get more votes in Wasilla then Biden got in the primaries.

According to the Anchorage Daily News archive, Sarah Palin won the 1996 Mayoral Seat of Wasilla by 617-413 against the incumbent.

Biden got 638 in NH alone. Plus 694 in SC.

You realize that's kinda like saying you didn't lose 120 to 5, but 120 to 10. There were 1000 votes cast in her election, she got over half. There were how many thousands of votes cast in New Hampshire? And he got 638?

Watching Olberdouche mention that was painful as well. He sooooooooo wanted to go off on a rant, and it was tearing him up!

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 08:41 PM)
You realize that's kinda like saying you didn't lose 120 to 5, but 120 to 10. There were 1000 votes cast in her election, she got over half. There were how many thousands of votes cast in New Hampshire? And he got 638?

Watching Olberdouche mention that was painful as well. He sooooooooo wanted to go off on a rant, and it was tearing him up!

15,704 in Florida, more than twice the ENTIRE city of Wasilla.

What he said was a flat out lie.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 09:43 PM)
15,704 in Florida, more than twice the ENTIRE city of Wasilla.

What he said was a flat out lie.

Sounded like it was intended to be more of a verbal jab than a factual statement.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 4, 2008 -> 02:25 AM)
Eh, that's about right. But it's kind of a stupid thing to say because it's not something you can "defeat." There is no "victory." You can't "surrender" to it, either.

Theyre right, they mentioned specific factions like the taliban Al qaida and leader Bin Laden.