50 FAVORITE WHITE SOX PLAYERS

knightni

9. A.J. Pierzynski

perry.jpg

(18 of 27 lists - 313 points - highest ranking #1 Steve9347)

bio by Steve9347 -

It was easy selecting AJ Pierzynski as my favorite White Sox player of all-time. Not only was he a huge reason we won the ALCS against the Angels, but AJ also caught the best White Sox pitching staff ever, which sometimes I feel is overlooked. His ability to speak fluent Spanish no-doubt was a reason that Jose Contreras came to such great form for that brief, ever important period in White Sox history, and I feel he continues to be a mentor for the two youngsters who have been so important to 2008 in Floyd and Danks.

However, it's his attitude and ability to hit that truly makes AJ great. Having to watch catchers such as Jorge Fabregas, Chad Kreuter, Mark Johnson, Brook Fordyce, Charles Johnson, Sandy Alomar, and Miguel Olivo create nothing but a black hole in our lineups, it was a breath of fresh air to hear that the White Sox had signed AJ to a cheap deal after he had a nasty divorce from the San Francisco Giants. He proved himself to be a great leader, a member of the three stooges, a friend to Steve Perry, a remarkably good singer, a Cross-Town Brawl enthusiast, and of course, a master of trickery (see the 3rd strike in the dirt in 2005 and the rundown interference just this year, thanks Doug Eddings!).

AJ will forever be one of my favorites, and he'll forever be hated by opposing teams and beloved by his own. I adore his attitude, his mental game, his ability to call a game, and of course his exceptionally good bat. AJ Pierzynski is the man, and I'm proud to say I had the honor of watching him play for the White Sox. There's some pretty top-heavy competition (a certain Hall of Famer), but I'm going to go out on a limb and say AJ is the best catcher the White Sox have ever had, and he's got the ring to prove it.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 10:48 PM)
Somwhere poor Ben Davis is cursing, and little Jamie Burke is crying...

Best quote from the old thread

damn I wish I could go back to the offseason and watch the season all over again.

also there are a lot of posters in that thread that are missed here.

QUOTE (spiffalicious @ Sep 12, 2008 -> 07:48 PM)

Some things from that thread:

1. About as unanimous as a "good" move reaction as you'll see here from ST. Sorry Juggs...

2. The Gooch love was strong at the time.

3. I forgot about this board becoming Cora talk. Ugh, good thing that never happened. The potential Eckstein signing that everyone was hating on way back when would have been much, much better than Cora, but overall it's great we settled for Iguchi.