Ozzie doesn't get it

Felix

Guillen also was asked about using a center fielder with possibly a little more range, such as Brian Anderson, considering a pitcher who works to contact in Mark Buehrle was on the mound. Guillen stated that Ken Griffey Jr. is his center fielder for the remainder of the regular season and into the playoffs, if necessary, once again giving little doubt as to where the final lineup decision falls.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

Oh well. It was a fun season guys, but if we aren't going to try to stay competitive we shouldn't be trying to lose.

If Griffey proves me wrong and plays more like tonight (where he didn't cost us all 3 runs, only 1, good for him!) great. I just don't think he can and the fact that we still haven't made a change is kind of disgusting.

(Sorry if this was posted in the post-game thread, but I didn't want to sift through that whole thread)

Edited by Felix

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He pretty much has to play Griffey. KW acquired Griffey to put us over the top. The GM acquires the guy; the manager plays him. Granted it must be brutal to watch him play in the dome (I haven't gotten the 2 awful outcomes on TV here) but the manager has to play the guys the GM acquires.

QUOTE (Felix @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 11:52 PM)
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

Oh well. It was a fun season guys, but if we aren't going to try to stay competitive we shouldn't be trying to lose.

If Griffey proves me wrong and plays more like tonight (where he didn't cost us all 3 runs, only 1, good for him!) great. I just don't think he can and the fact that we still haven't made a change is kind of disgusting.

(Sorry if this was posted in the post-game thread, but I didn't want to sift through that whole thread)

What run did Griffey cost us tonight?

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 11:56 PM)
What run did Griffey cost us tonight?

I don't know if I'd fully put it on him, but he was basically forced to play really deep all night, which led the rally in the second. I can't fully blame him for it, but just a hunch.

So Im not understanding how sitting him would make the Sox score more runs?

Basically if any other player did anything tonight at worst we were tied in the 9th. For all the Griffey hate, he hasnt been the problem this series. If anything he is one of the few Sox I actually think could do some damage at the plate.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 11:50 PM)
IMO, lineup for tomorrow should be (but won't be):

SS 1. OC

LF 2. Swisher

1B 3. Konerko

RF 4. Griffey

2B 5. Ramirez

DH 6. Thome

CF 7. Anderson

C 8. Pierzynski

3B 9. Uribe

I hate Ozzie Guillen.

I actually like that lineup a lot. I'm sick of watching Dye sleepwalk out there.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 12:50 AM)
IMO, lineup for tomorrow should be (but won't be):

SS 1. OC

LF 2. Swisher

1B 3. Konerko

RF 4. Griffey

2B 5. Ramirez

DH 6. Thome

CF 7. Anderson

C 8. Pierzynski

3B 9. Uribe

I hate Ozzie Guillen.

Hating Ozzie Guillen is dumb. You can disagree with his moves but he has managed his ass off this year and never gets his just due. I agree with you taking out Jermaine Dead but Ozzie is not to blame for this teams problems he has been the Manager of the Year IMHO

QUOTE (palehose23 @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 04:01 AM)
Hating Ozzie Guillen is dumb. You can disagree with his moves but he has managed his ass off this year and never gets his just due. I agree with you taking out Jermaine Dead but Ozzie is not to blame for this teams problems he has been the Manager of the Year IMHO

of course hate is a strong word that gets thrown around a lot, and i of course don't hate ozzie the person, it's just easier to say "i hate ozzie" instead of "i hate ozzie's handling of the pitching staff, bullpen, and lineup creation" ;)

and i don't disagree with what you said about ozzie not being the person to blame for this teams problems, but he brings along some problems to the already existing ones

it sucks because having griffey in CF hurts this team more than it helps

it sucks because dye is not helping the lineup at all at this point, and having him in RF instead of Griffey (who's actually been hitting the ball/driving in runs) is a mistake that everyone except ozzie can see

overall, it sucks that we're in the position we're in, not because of how ozzie makes the lineup, but because of guys like Thome, Swisher, JD, Vazquez, Konerko, and to some extent Wise, have all cooled off at the same time

add the injuries to the mix, and you have our current team

a team that's probably as good, competitively, as the twins, but that's irrelevant at this point. these are the two weakest "playoff caliber" (quotes needed, obviously) teams in the American League and will be bounced in the first round

at least Danks' and Floyd's arms won't be blown to bits by pitching needless innings in the playoffs, hopefully they'll be as good or better in 2009

sorry for the rant

QUOTE (DonkeyKongerko @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 07:56 AM)
A GIDP, a meaningless 2-run HR, an RBI groundout on what should have been a foul ball and a meaningful solo HR. My Sox series MVP is still Buehrle at this point.

I wouldnt call a solo HR early in a 3-1 game meaningless, its not all his fault they couldnt score one more run to tie it...

I do agree, Buehrle is the series MVP, they way he battled when he didn't have his control in the first few innings, and the twins kept getting lucky....and he kept his compouse, got his control, and went seven strong...

QUOTE (DonkeyKongerko @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 08:56 AM)
A GIDP, a meaningless 2-run HR, an RBI groundout on what should have been a foul ball and a meaningful solo HR. My Sox series MVP is still Buehrle at this point.

and yet that's better than anyone else could muster in this series.

QUOTE (palehose23 @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 09:01 AM)

Yeah, I think that Tampa manager just might win the Manager of the Year award.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 09:01 AM)
I wouldnt call a solo HR early in a 3-1 game meaningless, its not all his fault they couldnt score one more run to tie it...

I do agree, Buehrle is the series MVP, they way he battled when he didn't have his control in the first few innings, and the twins kept getting lucky....and he kept his compouse, got his control, and went seven strong...

Really...had that been Vazquez instead of Mark, the Twins would have scored 7 or 8 runs. We need less people like Vazquez and more buehrles...

QUOTE (palehose23 @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 05:01 AM)

Meh. Ozzie's "genius" decisions are mostly unwise or just plain crazy-ass moves that he got lucky on. He would do something like allow Boone Logan to pitch to Miguel Cabrera with first base open and 2 outs, and then Boone somehow strikes him out on 3 pitches. (Not a real example obviously but if he did that I honestly wouldn't be surprised.) Then other times these things backfire spectacularly but he seems to get a pass from most Sox fans because they still win more than they lose.

Griffey's home run yesterday was meaningful.

But other than that, he's been like everybody else -- nothing special.

biggest killer was uribe failing to get the runner home from third with less than two outs.

next was Wise failing with the bases loaded.

next was Dye doing nothing.

next was Konerko's extremely negative body language, dropping his head every time he rolls out or pops out.

I believe Gavin started the one game we won in Minny. Take the positives anywhere you can get them.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 09:33 AM)
Griffey's home run yesterday was meaningful.

But other than that, he's been like everybody else -- nothing special.

biggest killer was uribe failing to get the runner home from third with less than two outs.

next was Wise failing with the bases loaded.

next was Dye doing nothing.

next was Konerko's extremely negative body language, dropping his head every time he rolls out or pops out.

I believe Gavin started the one game we won in Minny. Take the positives anywhere you can get them.

It seems to me that Griff has been the only one man enough since he got here, to get an rbi hit with 2 outs. BA should play for Dye for a day, not Jr.

I was browsing through the game logs to see how yesterday compared to Buehrle's other starts in the dome. Alot of quality start losses there. Also this gem:

IP      H      R      ER      BB      K      HR      Season ERA 
M. Buehrle (W, 4-2)      6.0      12      7      1      2      3      0      3.42

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore;_ylt=...F?gid=260514109