Expanded Instant Replay

HeGone33

The only human element from an ump should come from balls and strikes. The ump can set his zone and part of the fun is the pitcher exposing that zone (assuming the ump can be consistent). But these umps have been awful. There is no human element to handing a team a game by making bad calls.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 11:54 PM)
As much as the last few games have sucked... no.

If those calls went our way this thread wouldnt exist. It sucks that theres a pretty decent probability we lost one or both of those games as a direct result of the bad call, but I never want to see instant replay in baseball for anything other than determining a home run.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 08:38 AM)
The horrible umpiring didn't help, but we lost the last two games because we didn't execute enough. I'm all for more instant replay, but this series is not an example of why it's needed.

A series in which two game deciding runs scored on questionable calls that could have easily gone the other way to pretty much decide the AL Central is not an expample of why it's needed??

QUOTE (Felix @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 08:13 PM)
I could plainly see that he didn't go around from the upper deck. I don't know how the third base ump missed it from 90 feet away.

Bert Blylevn was laughing on the call. It was atrocious and the umpire was completely classless. I was pretty much in a stunned coma at the time but seeing the ump react and throw his hands at Swisher pissed me off. That umpire should be suspended for his actions and I can't believe Ozzie wasn't out there.

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 08:15 AM)
A series in which two game deciding runs scored on questionable calls that could have easily gone the other way to pretty much decide the AL Central is not an expample of why it's needed??

And yet, had we executed, those runs wouldn't of even mattered.

QUOTE (DonkeyKongerko @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 01:03 PM)
Why is it that umpires are allowed to show up players? Players complain to officials in every sport but baseball umps have to be the most confrontational. I guess just chalk it up to good old baseball tradition.

Alfonso Marquez is just a jag bag. I think he's had a bad history with Swisher this season.

Edited by chw42

Baseball has long had this connection to the past that other sports have not had. After all, no one cares who the NBA all-time leading scorer is, etc. At least not in connection with today's NBA game. It's kind of a separate fact, not related.

To me, the steroids era severs present baseball from its past, so therefore a game that is made more precise by replay or computer involvement is now possible. As others have been saying, I could see it getting farther along in 5 yrs.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 10:29 PM)
I don't think you need instant replay for calls like tonight. Although it is very annoying when Hawk starts his umpires rant, I think there is some truth to having the best umpires work the games that matter. That pick off wednesday was huge, and so was Swishers check swing.

There's no way that instant replay would have confirmed the fair ball call. The picture wasn't clear enough to do anything with it. Hawk always needs to do that rant, and that is why I find him to be ridiculous. I might be able to see the pickoff and Swisher's check swing, but calls can go for or against you, it just happens. Good teams actually come over adversity and find ways to win. Obviously last night that did not happen, and that is why I do not see the Sox either getting to the playoffs or going past the first round.