My night at the Metrodome

WilliamTell

Just got home from the game, it's around 2, and I have to be up at 6:30. Even after gaining a 6-1 lead, I could still sense the Twins were going to comeback and win, and obviously they won. But that's not what I'm going to talk about. I'm going to talk about what happened after the game involving the fans. During the game the fans weren't too bad, I'd hear an occasional fan talk smack to me but most wouldn't since the Sox had the lead most of the game.

I'm not a person to go around and start picking fights or whatever, I'm basically the same person personality wise who posts on here. I try not to piss people off and I keep to myself. After the Twins won in the 10th I have never been so humiliated and harrassed in my entire life. Probably two hundred fans, maybe even closer to 300 made remarks to me about how the White Sox suck and how all White Sox fans are a bunch of losers and so on. Some people would bump into me or try to shove me because I was in my Sox jersey and Sox hat. I'm not sure if the beer was directed towards me or not, but I was hit with beer. Worst of all someone came up to me and said the Sox suck and flipped my hat off my head. I caught it and turned around and was going to push him or knock his hat off but my friend stopped me. This was easily the longest half hour of my life. I've never had a desire to physically hurt someone and I've never been in a fight other than with my brother, but I just wanted to beat that guy up so bad.

Tonight this rivalry became much more than just a baseball rivalry to me. And in a way it was more just because I don't like Minnesota sports teams in general. But now it has become personal with me. I've never been to U.S. Cellular Field, so I don't know how Sox fans act to their opposition after a game, but with what I saw these Twins fans doing to me and other Sox fans was disgraceful. They do not deserve a division title at all. I'm sure most of their fans don't act like that, but still. I'm really effected by what happened after the game. The game doesn't even seem to matter to me because of the terrible antics that happened afterwords. I have no desire ever to go to that dump they call home, and if I go to a game in their new stadium I'm not going to feel comfortable wearing my Sox gear anymore, and I feel ashamed that I don't want to wear anything Sox because of tonight. I just don't want to be laughed at, embarassed, and humiliated again like I was tonight.

I honestly have no clue if any White Sox personnel read this site, but if any do I hope they realize that the season isn't over, win the next 5 and they're in. Don't let a team with a bunch of scumbag fans win this division. The Sox have been in first for most of the year, they deserve to win it and will win it if they play well agianst Cleveland. I hope Kansas City can make some magic happen. There isn't anything else I'd rather see than dejected Twins fans right now.

Edited by WilliamTell

Please write a letter to the Twins' front office. Please write letters to the editor to both Minnesota papers. They will print them. Copy the letter to their main columnists. Don't take this lying down. Thanx for going and trying to help our zombie White Sox win. You are da man!!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 01:20 AM)
Please write a letter to the Twins' front office. Please write letters to the editor to both Minnesota papers. They will print them. Copy the letter to their main columnists. Don't take this lying down. Thanx for going and trying to help our zombie White Sox win. You are da man!!

They won t give a s***,they are a classless bunch,only thing left to do is do the same to Twins fans at the Cell,sucks but that s the way it is.

dude, that blows. assholes + beer + sports = trouble, and I'm sorry you had to deal with it. I could understand some good natured ribbing, but that was bulls***. I got it bad at a Raider game once and I know what you mean. Your experience is going to make a division title that much sweeter next tuesday.

I know this will sound delusional but I m hoping against hope that we get one more shot at those assholes,I m positive the Twins won t sweep the Royals,hopefully we can force a 1 game playoff for just one more chance for our eunuchs to grow a pair...I don t care if we get swept out of the playoffs,I want the Sox to keep the Twins outta the postseason,that would make my year.

Sorry to hear that man, but thats what I expect everytime I go to a road game (Bears because I have never been to a Sox road game). I always hope for the best but prepare for the worst luckily I have never been in a confrontation with other fans but have seen them happen to others. It even happens at the Cell, its called beer balls. Hopefully the Twins choke on this little high they are riding.

I was at the do or die game we played at the Metrodome at the end of '03 season, when I was living in the Twin Cities, so I said a few times last night "At least I'm not at the game tonight." I am surprised people were harassing you though. After that game, no one confronted me in any way. It was just a bunch of fans chanting "White Sox suck" to no one in particular. More than anything, I just felt humiliated to be a Sox fan.

Edited by Jeremy

That sounds terrible. I could tell just by watching on TV that those fans seemed beyond obnoxious. I live in Chicago so obviously I go to almost all of my Sox games at The Cell. I have never seen anything beyond friendly heckling.

Also I went to a game in Cleveland about a month ago. Actually it was the game Quentin hurt himself. My overall impression was that I could not believe how friendly the fans were there. Granted it may have had something to do with the fact that the Indians were already out of the race, but I found the people of Cleveland to be beyond friendly. After the game we went out to a bar near Progressive Stadium and we had a group of people buy us a round of beers, and just wanting to talk baseball. It was an overall great experience.

Sorry to hear about your experience. Keep the faith. Maybe, just maybe we will get a shot at revenge.

QUOTE (Good Guys @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 12:33 PM)
That sounds terrible. I could tell just by watching on TV that those fans seemed beyond obnoxious. I live in Chicago so obviously I go to almost all of my Sox games at The Cell. I have never seen anything beyond friendly heckling.

Also I went to a game in Cleveland about a month ago. Actually it was the game Quentin hurt himself. My overall impression was that I could not believe how friendly the fans were there. Granted it may have had something to do with the fact that the Indians were already out of the race, but I found the people of Cleveland to be beyond friendly. After the game we went out to a bar near Progressive Stadium and we had a group of people buy us a round of beers, and just wanting to talk baseball. It was an overall great experience.

Sorry to hear about your experience. Keep the faith. Maybe, just maybe we will get a shot at revenge.

I went to Jacobs Field a couple years ago and I had a great time. Granted, it wasn't for a Sox/Indians game (the Mariners were in town), but I didn't even catch any grief when I wore my Reds BP jersey. The people were very friendly indeed.

Too bad Cleveland is so utterly boring, or I'd go there again. Beautiful ballpark and an amazing fireworks display after the game.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 12:12 PM)
These are the same f***s who threw s*** on the field because they didn't get a call. Jag bags they are.

I forgot about that. That was absurd. Nothing would be sweeter than getting one more shot at those mother f*ckers.

They won t give a s***,they are a classless bunch,only thing left to do is do the same to Twins fans at the Cell,sucks but that s the way it is.

My gosh, an eye for an eye? And you end up harassing some nice Minnesota people that just want to see a game as well? Write the letter to the twins owner and copy it to the newspapers.

You really can't generalize fan of a team. You get some that are dicks. Some that are nice. Some that know nothing of the team. Some that know the whole organization inside and out. I used to generalize the difference between Cubs and Sox fans, but after '05 I don't see that much of a difference anymore.

You just got between a whole bunch of bad ones, that's all. Sorry to hear that. But I have definitely seen similar actions taken by Sox fans at the cell.

During this series, their fans also:

- cheered an idiot that ran onto the field

- threw a drink on the field at the security when the guy was caught

- cheered the fan as he struggled off the field

- did the wave at a crucial point of the second and third games

The worse I got at the games was something about Aaron Rowand being retarded (as I was wearing a Rowand jersey). Some asshole 13-year old kid in front of me kept putting the Twin logo on his shirt toward me, which was incredibly annoying. I also had some kid on the bus walk up and stare at me for awhile, until his friend pulled him back. Had he continued to stare, I had a fist with his name on it.

So yeah, I come from this series really disappointed in Twin fans. I'd also disliked them, but this series they seriously were classless.

As a side note, I always hate when fans boo the opposing team for trying to pick someone off or calling time at the plate. It's really annoying and I find myself hating it more and more with every game I go to.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 10:42 PM)
As a side note, I always hate when fans boo the opposing team for trying to pick someone off or calling time at the plate. It's really annoying and I find myself hating it more and more with every game I go to.

I hate that too. I've never been to another pro game besides up in Minnesota. Is it just them or do most fans boo the opposing pitcher for trying to pick off the runner?

QUOTE (SpringfieldFan @ Sep 27, 2008 -> 11:47 AM)
Ok, I gotta ask: which are more annoying - Twins fans or Cubs fans?

SFF

I've never seen a Cubs game but I've seen many fans. I can't answer who's more annoying since I haven't been to a game. I think it's almost a cult to be with the Cubs, they lose and they keep all of their fans, and people jump on to the bandwagon as well.

QUOTE (SpringfieldFan @ Sep 27, 2008 -> 12:47 PM)
Ok, I gotta ask: which are more annoying - Twins fans or Cubs fans?

SFF

I haven't been to a Cubs game for a good 11 years or so, but I'd rather them than Twin fans, if only because I hate the Twins a lot more than the Cubs since they are our real rivals and games against them actually matter.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 11:40 PM)
I hate that too. I've never been to another pro game besides up in Minnesota. Is it just them or do most fans boo the opposing pitcher for trying to pick off the runner?

I've been to plenty of Sox games at Comisky where there was booing when the opposing pitcher did the same thing.

And BTW, never give a Cub fan an ounce of credit