Tribe @ Sox, 09/27, 6:05PM, CSN

LittleHurt05

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Sep 27, 2008 -> 08:03 PM)
It seems like we've been talking about adding a lead off guy every year. Other than Pods in 05, we've never had a lead off guy. My guess we won't end up with anybody good at that position.

I don't think Williams has much flexibility in improving this team.

How about Roberts? The O's need pitching, give them Javy.

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Sep 27, 2008 -> 08:03 PM)
It seems like we've been talking about adding a lead off guy every year. Other than Pods in 05, we've never had a lead off guy. My guess we won't end up with anybody good at that position.

I don't think Williams has much flexibility in improving this team.

I think he will finally realize, like he did with spending money on the bullpen last offseason, that there is a reason for prototypical lead off guys. He knows how important they are. I don't think there is any way possible he tries to stick a guy that doesn't belong there in that position again.

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Sep 27, 2008 -> 07:05 PM)
I think that's the attitude that's gotten them into trouble. It's not a big park, so why not get guys who have a line drive approach? With the small park, a lot of those line drives will go out anyway. But more importantly, the team is less likely to slump and will be better on the road.

A good example of building wisely with that kind of park is the Phillies. Yes, they have Burrell and Howard, but the rest of their lineup is filled with guys like Victorino, Rollins and Utley, all line-drive hitters. And they hit plenty of home runs.

The Sox are not alone in falling prey to the idea that a small park means you need power. But I have never understood why teams in smaller parks feel like they have to get big thumpers up and down their lineup -- home runs will come in these places WITHOUT going for power guys.

I think its a bad idea to only go after players that work for your stadium completely, unless you are the Twins.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 27, 2008 -> 08:07 PM)
I think its a bad idea to only go after players that work for your stadium completely, unless you are the Twins.

How are Twins doing lately? They suck as bad as the Sox.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 27, 2008 -> 08:06 PM)
I think he will finally realize, like he did with spending money on the bullpen last offseason, that there is a reason for prototypical lead off guys. He knows how important they are. I don't think there is any way possible he tries to stick a guy that doesn't belong there in that position again.

We need a leadoff guy who can consistently get on base whether he has speed or not. Having OC and AJ in the 1-2 spots when neither is good at getting on base makes it a lot harder to score on a consistent basis. Not that Ozzie had good options for those spots this year with Swisher being as bad as he was at the plate.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 27, 2008 -> 08:06 PM)

The problem isn't him realizing the importance of the lead-off hitter, it's having the resources to acquire one. I'm having a hard time thinking of anyone that will be available.