Fathom discussion....why Danks was passed over against MN last week

caulfield12

Against DANKS lifetime...

Morneau, 7 for 16, 2 doubles and 3 homers EIGHT RBI'S!!!

Mauer, 8 for 12

Cuddyer, 7 for 12, 2 doubles, 3 RBI's (who will Gardy sit, Kubel, Young, Span or Gomez??..of course, Cuddyer is just off his injury and not the same player)

Brendan Harris, 5 for 10, 2 doubles

Jason Kubel, 3 for 7, 1 double, 1 homer, SIX RBI'S!!!

Delmon Young, 3 for 9, double, RBI

If I was Gardenhire, I think I'd start Cuddyer at 3B and Harris at SS. Of course, normally Punto (1 for 11) and Buscher/Harris would be playing on the left side, but it's hard to ignore Cuddyer's career numbers against Danks.

Overall .363 BAA, .540 SLG, .987 OPS

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/bvsp...=9&sort=avg

The thing that makes little sense is that Morneau, Mauer and Kubel (Hawk's CQ comparison notwithstanding) shouldn't hit him THAT well. Of course, Mauer absolutely kills all LHP, he's close to .400. Whoever is playing LF should just peek over the SS in short LCF and dare Mauer to hit one over his head. He hits more soft singles to LF than Luis Polonia, Wade Boggs or Ichiro.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 29, 2008 -> 09:14 PM)
Against DANKS lifetime...

Morneau, 7 for 16, 2 doubles and 3 homers EIGHT RBI'S!!!

Mauer, 8 for 12

Cuddyer, 7 for 12, 2 doubles, 3 RBI's (who will Gardy sit, Kubel, Young, Span or Gomez??..of course, Cuddyer is just off his injury and not the same player)

Brendan Harris, 5 for 10, 2 doubles

Jason Kubel, 3 for 7, 1 double, 1 homer, SIX RBI'S!!!

Delmon Young, 3 for 9, double, RBI

If I was Gardenhire, I think I'd start Cuddyer at 3B and Harris at SS. Of course, normally Punto (1 for 11) and Buscher/Harris would be playing on the left side, but it's hard to ignore Cuddyer's career numbers against Danks.

Overall .363 BAA, .540 SLG, .987 OPS

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/bvsp...=9&sort=avg

The thing that makes little sense is that Morneau, Mauer and Kubel (Hawk's CQ comparison notwithstanding) shouldn't hit him THAT well. Of course, Mauer absolutely kills all LHP, he's close to .400. Whoever is playing LF should just peek over the SS in short LCF and dare Mauer to hit one over his head. He hits more singles to LF than Luis Polonia.

lifetime stats are overrated to me. 2008 stats can tell you more when evaluating Danks.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Sep 29, 2008 -> 07:17 PM)
lifetime stats are overrated to me. 2008 stats can tell you more when evaluating Danks.

Fair enough, they've won both times he pitched at Comiskey. He was hit hard in MN and lost, a game we eventually lost 10-6.

Three Starts against MN this year..

5 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 5 K's (W)

6 IP, 5 H, 4 ER, 3 BB, 4 K's (W)

6 IP, 8 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 4 K's (L)

17 IP, 19 H, 10 ER, 7 BB, 13 K's (2-1, 5.29 ERA)

The thing that gives you the most confidence is the home field advantage, and Blackburn has been bad on the road. Danks is usually better in road games, but he's pitched decently (more or less quality starts) both times at home.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Sep 29, 2008 -> 08:17 PM)

Span:    0-3           .250 OPS

Casilla: 0-3 .000 OPS

Mauer: 7-9 1.596 OPS

Morneau: 4-10 2B HR 1.255 OPS

Kubel: 2-6 2B .875 OPS

Cuddyer: 2-4 2B 1.350 OPS

Young: 3-7 2B 1.000 OPS

Harris: 5-9 2 2B 1.378 OPS

Punto: 1-3 .666 OPS

Gomez: 2-10 .533 OPS

Not pretty

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 29, 2008 -> 08:23 PM)
Fair enough, they've won both times he pitched at Comiskey. He was hit hard in MN and lost, a game we eventually lost 10-6.

Three Starts against MN this year..

5 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 5 K's (W)

6 IP, 5 H, 4 ER, 3 BB, 4 K's (W)

6 IP, 8 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 4 K's (L)

17 IP, 19 H, 10 ER, 7 BB, 13 K's (2-1, 5.29 ERA)

The thing that gives you the most confidence is the home field advantage, and Blackburn has been bad on the road. Danks is usually better in road games, but he's pitched decently (more or less quality starts) both times at home.

Still it kinda of bothers me. Like today we all knew Flloyd has had a ton of success against the tigers, you expect him to shut them down by defualt. With Danks against the twins I dont expect him to shut them down, in fact I expect him to battle his ass off and probably surrender 8 hits, a few walks and a few runs through 5 innings. Prove me wrong Danks but history tends to repeat itself as an awful good indicator. This is not an ideal matchup for the sox.

QUOTE (Felix @ Sep 29, 2008 -> 07:34 PM)
Whatever, I still would have pitched Danks.

You also have to keep in mind that Danks went to Cooper and Guillen and said he was going through some dead arm/soreness, which is why they shut him down for one week before his KC start that he pitched so wonderfully in...

If you look at Floyd's and Dank's IP this year versus career numbers, they're well over, and that has to be of great concern to the front office. Still, it's do or Dye trying. Perkins and Blackburn are dealing with the same issues, they're all in uncharted waters/territory.

However, coming off his last very shaky start, when he had a chance to give us back the division lead, I think all bets are off with what will happen. I think the most important thing is to keep the crowd in the game and not let MN jump out to an early lead of 3/4/5-0. That would be a buzzkill. Danks knows he can beat the Twins at home, and Blackburn knows he can hold down our line-up without great stuff (which he doesn't really have on his best day).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Felix @ Sep 29, 2008 -> 07:51 PM)
No.

3 for 9 versus 1 for 12 is not a huge enough indicator (and Swisher is ice cold, and most of those AB's from Paulie were from the first half of the year when he was struggling in the .210's against every pitcher in baseball seemingly).

More importantly, Konerko's your captain, your horse and he's been hot as firecracker recently. Sitting him would be the White Sox keeping Josh Paul and Chad Bradford for the playoffs and leaving Mark Johnson at home. Nick has been sulking and he doesn't deserve to start. Let him PH maybe, but no way he starts OVER Konerko. Now Ozzie might think about replacing Wise, but not after winning the last two...I think he stays with the same line-up that got him here.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Sep 29, 2008 -> 07:54 PM)
Judging by those numbers, we should play Anderson.

But where? Griffey is 1 for 2 with a homer against Blackburn...and you don't sit Griffey against a slow tossing RHP, that's who he should match up with the best at this point in his career. Griffey, like Konerko, deserves to play. I'd almost think about benching Thome, but that will never happen against a RHP and with Ozzie managing this team...with Thome and Griffey both fighting for that last chance to do something in post-season.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Sep 29, 2008 -> 07:03 PM)
Danks' numbers ain't good.

But if he gets hit, who do you turn to?

Richard?

Javy?

We don't have many options.

Richard gave us 3 innings of 1 run ball on Saturday against Cleveland.

If he's available, he's our best long man option.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 29, 2008 -> 08:32 PM)
Richard gave us 3 innings of 1 run ball on Saturday against Cleveland.

If he's available, he's our best long man option.

Richard or Carrasco...depending on which part of the order you were in. You'd have to hope that Richard could do something with Mauer/Morneau/Kubel.

And there's no way Logan or Ramirez will be seeing any part of this game. They should just be kidnapped like in the movie Eagle Eye by giant remote-controlled construction cranes on the way to the ballpark.

This thread is scary. So are we f***ed? It sounds like we're doomed.

Is there any other option? Those stats are scary bad. Is this gonna be another national Twins lovefest? Them getting 6 or 7 in the first and acting like their program is all superior to ours??

Those stats are obscene. Wow.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 29, 2008 -> 07:01 PM)
This thread is scary. So are we f***ed? It sounds like we're doomed.

Is there any other option? Those stats are scary bad. Is this gonna be another national Twins lovefest? Them getting 6 or 7 in the first and acting like their program is all superior to ours??

Those stats are obscene. Wow.

Didn't Danks have at least one very good start against the twins? And why should we be scared...it all comes down to one game. Lets f***ing kick some ass!!!!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 29, 2008 -> 10:28 PM)
I hope our crowd goes nuts. Those domers got 3 home games last week against us and we paid the price. We need to intimidate them into oblivion and beat them like KC did. They looked mighty ordinary all 3 vs. the Royals. GO SOX; MASH TWINS!

One thing is true, Morneau is in a huge slump which could cost him the MVP. Hamilton actually has one more RBI now I think.

Something has to give, Justin's numbers against Danks and are almost unbelieveable, same with Mauer and Cuddyer.