• Francisco Rodriguez
  3. 3. Rookie of the Year

• Evan Longoria
    • Alexei Ramirez
    • Denard Span
    • Mike Aviles
    • Jacoby Ellsbury
    • Armando Galarraga

Justin Morneau deserves NOTHING. Gotta love that .250/.306/.410/.716 September line or his .180/.242/.230/.472 line over his last 15 games when his team has needed him most. An .877 OPS first baseman? Give me f***ing break. If he wasn't getting BY FAR the most RBI opportunities of any AL MVP contender he wouldn't even be mentioned.

Pedroia gets my vote by default.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 30, 2008 -> 01:32 PM)
Morneau

Lee

Longoria

They all deserve it.

Please explain how Morneau deserves it. The man is the only person in baseball with 400 PA with runners on and has had 558 runners on base for his at-bats, good for first in the majors by 43 runners and first in the AL by 74. Include the fact that he's choked down the stretch during his teams most important games, and the fact he's not even the most valuable person on his team, and it's baffling that so many people thing he deserves another MVP.

Not many people steal two MVPs in their career, but if he wins it this year then he'd have done it.

Quentin - because he was far and away the most dominant selection prior to injury, and post-injury nobody else has been able to dwarf his numbers

Lee - because you'd have to be retarded not to vote for that guy

Alexei - because going from short-season Cuban ball to facing Major League pitching and THEN having an All-Star caliber year is FAR more impressive to me than playing your way up through the minor leagues and then succeeding

The MVP award is up for grabs I think and I really hope Pedroia doesn't get it. He's a very good player, but I think his hype has way too much to do with where he plays. If Carlos Quentin played in Boston it would be a slam dunk. And, with the Red Sox pitching, as well as having Manny for most of the year, you could easily say the Red Sox would be in the playoffs without Pedroia. You can't say the Sox would be in the playoffs or in position to make the playoffs without Carlos.

Cy Young is a lock for Lee.

One of Alexei/Longoria is going to lose out, and it's unfortunate for both to come out in such a strong year for the AL in this category. Galarraga and Span are also very deserving but will become victims of the strong 2008 AL rookie class.

Carlos Quentin even with having missed a full month, is still a FAR FAR FAR more deserving of MVP consideration than Justin Morneau. Why should Quentin missing a month hurt him when Morneau has done absolutely NOTHING during Quentin's absence. Give it to Pedroia, he deserves it but Justin Morneau shouldn't even be in the top 3.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Sep 30, 2008 -> 06:14 PM)
Carlos Quentin even with having missed a full month, is still a FAR FAR FAR more deserving of MVP consideration than Justin Morneau. Why should Quentin missing a month hurt him when Morneau has done absolutely NOTHING during Quentin's absence. Give it to Pedroia, he deserves it but Justin Morneau shouldn't even be in the top 3.

yup. it showed how valuable he was to us. he hasnt played in over a month and yet he still finished 2nd in hrs.

A .499 SLG and .873 OPS for the tremendously overrated Justin Morneau. A f***ing firstbaseman with a sub .500 SLG might win the MVP, Mark Grace is smiling somewhere. A .146/.239/.195/.434 line w/ 1 RBI in the final 2 weeks of the season for Mr. Morneau, coming up big when his team needed him the most, lending a helping hand in burying his own team. Gotta love that 0fer he had yesterday in the biggest game of the year, the man wasn't even a threat, he looked pathetic.

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 02:14 PM)
ROY ? Why isn't it Galarraga ?

On on hand you have a 26 year old starter who put up good but unspectacular numbers while pitching for an awful (last place) team in a big time pitcher's park and on the other you have a couple of position players who put up some pretty big time numbers, and contributed in the clutch while leading their teams to division titles.

A rookie starting pitcher with a 3.73 ERA on a last place team isn't going to get many votes when his main competition is superior position players on 1st place teams. I'd give it to Mike Aviles before Armando Galarraga.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 30, 2008 -> 04:04 PM)
Kevin Youkilis (to me, he's pretty clearly the winner here, but nobody is giving him any credit)

Cliff Lee (not close)

Evan Longoria (it's a shame Alexei didn't have a good September overall, or he could have won it)

thats exactly how i voted....not sure why nobody likes youk....he slugged higher and has a higher obp than pedroia, hit more HRs....the only real thing dustin did better was steal bases and .014 higher in BA, but like i said youk had better obp and slg....and probably defense, but nobody in the MVP voting cares about defense anyways

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Sep 30, 2008 -> 02:52 PM)
Justin Morneau deserves NOTHING. Gotta love that .250/.306/.410/.716 September line or his .180/.242/.230/.472 line over his last 15 games when his team has needed him most. An .877 OPS first baseman? Give me f***ing break. If he wasn't getting BY FAR the most RBI opportunities of any AL MVP contender he wouldn't even be mentioned.

Pedroia gets my vote by default.

Unfortunately, CQ batted .000 with 0 RBIs, HRs, et al.

And I refuse to vote for Pedroia. I hate him.

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 4, 2008 -> 10:59 PM)
And I refuse to vote for Pedroia. I hate him.

You can irrationally hate him all you want, the guy is f***ing good at baseball and he put up the most impressive 6 month stretch of any AL MVP contender. There's a reason why he had the highest VORP of any AL player not named Rodriguez or Sizemore. Oh he also led all major league 2B in fielding win shares and it wasn't particularly close.