3. 3. Rookie of the Year

• Geovanny Soto
    • Joey Votto
    • Jair Jurrjens
    • Hiroki Kuroda

Manny Ramirez

C.C. Sabathia

Geovany Soto

I know the first two picks might be controversial to some, but here's my logic. The Cy Young Award is given to "best pitcher in each league". I know that C.C. only made half as many starts as Tim Lincecum, but I'd pick him anyways. I know it's a case of me being unfair to Lincecum for pitching on a bad team to a certain extent, and also ignoring what C.C. did in Cleveland, but I just can't in good faith not vote for C.C. for the award with what he did in the NL and for the Brewers.

As for the MVP, I can't in good faith give the award to Ryan Howard or Carlos Delgado. Yes, Manny wasn't in the NL until the trade deadline, but Ryan Howard put up three sub .800 OPS months this season (including a .646 in April). Carlos Delgado also had three sub .800 OPS months in April, May, and June (including a .632 April). So in that sense, Manny didn't help the Dodgers the first four months, but for half of the season, Delgado didn't do much to help the Mets and Howard did little to help the Phillies. If this were the most outstanding player award, I'd obviously give the award to Albert Pujols, but to take a guy from a 4th place team as most VALUABLE player when Manny did what he did for the Dodgers would feel wrong for me too, so I have to pick Manny.

Geovany Soto is an obvious choice for Rookie of the Year.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 12:03 AM)
Have you not seen Pujols's stats this year?

If stats were the only criteria, there would be no need to vote. A formula could be produced that ranks various statistical category and a computer could figure the winner. There is a great deal of intangibles involved in determining "valuable" and that is what makes the award special. The intangibles that go into becoming more valuable than your stats.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 08:58 AM)
If stats were the only criteria, there would be no need to vote. A formula could be produced that ranks various statistical category and a computer could figure the winner. There is a great deal of intangibles involved in determining "valuable" and that is what makes the award special. The intangibles that go into becoming more valuable than your stats.

The Cards were pretty relevant in the standings for quite a while. Even with some pretty solid pitching, they are nowhere near contenders without Pujols in the lineup. He has the intangibles and the stats, and if anyone other than Pujols wins, it'll probably be a travesty.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Sep 30, 2008 -> 05:37 PM)
Pujols, Lincecum, Soto.

Complete agreement here. Pujols is the most difficult for me to get behind, but his season was unquestionably great. With the year that Lincecum had, and the way that Soto hit and managed his staff they're pretty much cut and dry. Although an honorable mention to Jair Jurrjens who nearly won me my fantasy year.

Only 1 vote for Santana? Come on people...the guy led the league in ERA at 2.53. He was also the only Mets starter that was good at the end of the season. He was also robbed of at least 5 wins because the Mets don't have a bullpen.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 11, 2008 -> 03:34 PM)
He was also robbed of at least 5 wins because the Mets don't have a bullpen.

Tiny Tim got robbed of 6 or 7 by his. Kid was the star of my fantasy team, and there was about a week or two where he couldn't buy a win.

Edited by Thunderbolt