AND THATS A CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!&#33

kapkomet

the other thing about last night -- it was shades of '05.

winning 1-0 w/ awesome pitching and defense?

a huge collapse to end the year - only to slam it into gear when we needed it to make it to the playoffs?

you ask me, we're better set up now than those teams that just coasted in, just like we were in 2005. oh, and now we're the underdogs once again. i love that.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was so indescribably sweet to beat the Twins, I just had to create a T-Shirt to commemorate it. I bought two of these for myself, figured if anyone else wanted one, it is easy to share.

Not looking to make money here, if there are any payments from CafePress, I'd just give them to Sox Charities:

http://www.cafepress.com/TCDelendaEst.312314733#

TShirtBack.jpg

QUOTE (shipps @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 08:50 AM)
NSS I have to say its because of you that I was able to go to the game last night.We were going to wait until early the next morning to get tickets at the box office but I read your post about them going on sale right after the game online and jumped on it. :cheers To soxtalk information.

Glad to help. Good to see you and Mario too.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Sep 30, 2008 -> 08:06 PM)
Where is that twinkie fan that registered tonight and whined about the coin flip??

Let's flip a coin if you ever post here again :lolhitting

The Twinkies have discovered that champagne, when left undrunk, turns into whine.

Meanwhile, we Sox fans know that fried twinkies go great with champagne!

Recipe for Fried Twinkies:

1. Remove Twinkies (which are mostly air and lack substance) from plastic baggies and all other artificial environments.

2. Smash Twinkies with rolling pin until they are flat as a pancake.

3. Put Twinkies into ceramic bowl (made from God's green earth) and beat to a pulp with wooden spoon, bat or other implements.

4. Place Twinkies into boiling oil.

5. Skewer Twinkies on a stick, remove from oil when fried to a crisp.

6. Serve with champagne and enjoy!

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 10:56 AM)
That seems awfully low to me.

Especially after watching the replay from the bat to the the spot it landed. It reminded me of Sosa hitting one over the camera in Atlanta

The 461 measurement made perfect sense. He hit a ball to basically the exact same spot on June 4th and it was measured at 464 feet. The one in June was a hair closer to dead center, which is probably why it got the 3 extra feet, but is otherwise pretty much hit to the same spot.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=280604104

Thome’s 464-foot blast to center—the ninth longest homer in U.S. Cellular Field history—tied it at 2 in the fourth. It was his 11th of the season and 518th of his career.

You can check out the video of it here by clicking on video and "Thome two-run homer".

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?g...kcamlb_chamlb_1

I think both homers were closer to 475 feet, maybe even 500, but that's just me.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

That was the most fun I've had since '05 and may even surpass those two Boston games. The sea of black in the stands was amazing.

And sorry, but the Griffey-to-AJ gundown to me was the play of the game that got everybody totally amped.

Unbelievable. Perfect ending. And I am officially .500 for 2008 season!!!!

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 11:05 AM)
The 461 measurement made perfect sense. He hit a ball to basically the exact same spot on June 4th and it was measured at 464 feet. The one in June was a hair closer to dead center, which is probably why it got the 3 extra feet, but is otherwise pretty much hit to the same spot.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=280604104

You can check out the video of it here by clicking on video and "Thome two-run homer".

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?g...kcamlb_chamlb_1

I think both homers were closer to 475 feet, maybe even 500, but that's just me.

If you compare those to Borchards 504 ft shot, there is doubt in my mind Big Jim is getting hosed.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 11:29 AM)
If you compare those to Borchards 504 ft shot, there is doubt in my mind Big Jim is getting hosed.

Absolutely, there is no way Borchard's home run went more than 10 or 15 feet further than Jim's two shots in that post. Really, I think Jim's went longer, but the only time I ever saw the Borchard home run was the highlight shows the night after he hit it, so I'm biased.

So I wanted to go to a bar to watch the game, thought there'd be some sox fans, but hey it was a tuesday and I'm in Columbia MO so I was under no allusions that there would be. THere wasn't really anyone at all in the bar we went to. BUt I brought my friend, made him wear black. He's a Cardinals fan but is a huuuuge Griffey fan. It was fun for both of us seeing how much fun Griffey was having in those middle innings. Odd, but he seems relaxed now. Now that he's in pressure. I think he feels part of the team finally.

Well, I'm sorry I'm late to join the celebration here at Soxtalk but you guys will just have to excuse me. However, that was one of the most satisfying Sox victories I have ever experienced. After we went up to the that damned dome and laid that huge egg, and watching the Twins celebrate like they had actually won something and after squandering the opportunities the Royals gave us on Friday and Saturday, for the Sox to have the intestinal fortitude to overcome such long odds and actually win the thing, well, it was inspirational. Mark, Gavin and John really stepped up with some superior clutch performances. Unbelievable.

I am very proud of the 2008 Central Division Champion Chicago White Sox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: To expand on Tony's comments earlier in the thread-

Not sure if this has been posted already, but I thought it was very classy of Gardenhire:

Afterward, Twins manager Ron Gardenhire made his way to the White Sox clubhouse door and waited patiently outside as Chicago outfielder Nick Swisher tried to retrieve Guillen from the champagne spray and cigar smoke of the room. A few minutes later, a soaked Guillen appeared at the door.

"Where's Gardie?" Guillen said.

Guillen shook Gardenhire's hand hard. There was a long hug and a backslap. Guillen has made no secret of his admiration for the Twins manager and for his team.

"I'm very happy for you," Gardenhire said as they embraced. "Make us proud."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/sto...mp;sportCat=mlb

Great. MORE pressure for us, lol.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 02:26 PM)
Say what you will about the trash on that Twins team that commonly talks garbage (Morneau, Cuddyer, Punto), but Gardenhire is a class act and a guy any team would be lucky to have.

Yep. Gardenhire is a pro and a classy one at that.