Official, this team is slow, can't hit with RISP and has no pen th

caulfield12

QUOTE (Wanne @ Oct 3, 2008 -> 08:44 PM)
I've never understood how they were that good the entire year. You win that many games though...you're doing something right I guess. But I agree. They're 3rd place next year. And guys like Imawatanable or whatever the hell his name is fall off the map....

They're too young an inexperienced to know that they're supposed to suck.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rangercal @ Oct 3, 2008 -> 07:29 PM)
I don't know what you would replace AJ. Yeah, we are a station to station team, but no catcher will make a difference there.

fine... i forgot AJ

and i didn't even think about the bullpen. Keep Thornton and Jenks. Liney and Dotel are fine i guess too

These are usually the moments where I point out that, once again, our lack of ANYTHING resembling positional talent in the higher levels of the minor league system is killing our ballclub. Just imagine if we were able to plug in Fields at 3B. Or if we, god forbid, had a Deonard Span coming up to make Dye expendable. Go on down the line -- someone at 1B to make Konerko expendable, or catcher to make AJ expendable.

Gordon Beckham really better be a can't miss prospect. And hopefully one of several this system produces in the next several seasons.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Should have won the game... but whatever. I'm not even mad.

I was mad in August when I realized this wasn't a very good team. And then even more mad after Quentin's injury when I realized this team couldn't beat any of the other top teams. Now I'm indifferent.

You can't expect wins in the playoffs when your offense consists of a bunch of dumb power hitters.

And by the way, to anyone who thinks we didn't lose anything with Uribe replacing Crede, I say watch the last couple of games. Maybe I'm losing my mind, but it seems like everytime the Sox have a big RISP opportunity it's Uribe up at the plate. Those have been some horrible ABs.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Oct 3, 2008 -> 07:09 PM)
These are usually the moments where I point out that, once again, our lack of ANYTHING resembling positional talent in the higher levels of the minor league system is killing our ballclub. Just imagine if we were able to plug in Fields at 3B. Or if we, god forbid, had a Deonard Span coming up to make Dye expendable. Go on down the line -- someone at 1B to make Konerko expendable, or catcher to make AJ expendable.

Gordon Beckham really better be a can't miss prospect. And hopefully one of several this system produces in the next several seasons.

I'll just point out again...by far the biggest reason why we can't plug Fields in at 3b and count on him for a 30 HR full season yet is injury, not talent.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 3, 2008 -> 08:38 PM)
Does anyone think the starts on short rest are catching up with Buerhle now? I know Mark wouldn't use that as an excuse, but his pitches just weren't quite as crisp as I've seen before...his fastball averaged 84-87, usually, he's a tick faster.

I just hope we can get starts for both Danks and Floyd in the post-season, it's going to be a great experience for both of them moving forward I think.

Buehrle pitched a great f***in game.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 3, 2008 -> 08:18 PM)
I'll just point out again...by far the biggest reason why we can't plug Fields in at 3b and count on him for a 30 HR full season yet is injury, not talent.

I'm not doubting you. It still doesn't matter, though, because whether he's talented and injured or just a recent reincarnation of Joe Borchard neither scenario helps the White Sox next season.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Oct 3, 2008 -> 06:27 PM)
I'm not doubting you. It still doesn't matter, though, because whether he's talented and injured or just a recent reincarnation of Joe Borchard neither scenario helps the White Sox next season.

Guys coming off injury can't help us next season?

I think our Sox just left everything in Chicago, and any momentum we had was squandered by Vazquez.

I disagree. Today's game was winnable folks. And if we win we're tied 1-1 and the city of Chicago is GOING NUTS over our chances. We'd get homefield vs. Boston.

We came out today and had great momentum early. We loaded the bases for godsakes and their pitcher was horribly wild and shaky. I may be FOS but I thought OC shoulda been sent from second on the single to set an aggressive tone for godsakes. (Though Fathom just told me OC had a bad ankle and couldn't score so my bad, there).

Be that as it may we get 2 meager runs. Just two. And Kasmir Sweater continued to suck in the second inning.

We still had mild control and Lexi makes a dumb dumb throw basically giving the Rays their first run when Mark woulda cruised out of that inning still us up, 2-0.

Two runs in the first like somebody said ... not enough ... set tone for a disastrous hitting performance.

Why in god's name does Juan fricking Uribe swing so hard??? Just drill the ball to right field instead of making out after out with men on base (nice single late though as he finally got a hit).

And Reddy with all due respect how the heck do you still love Swish??? He did get on base the first three times up which is very nice, but I dunno what he was thinking on that at bat where he whiffed and failed to be a hero (again).

Edited by greg775

It's funny how much the sox get slammed around here. I mean during the regular season I'll vent with the best of them, but they came back and won the division and made it into the playoffs. Are they playing bad? A bit. Tampa is very, very beatable. But I'm just surprised they don't get more props for being here. Why are they still getting ripped for their weaknesses? So what? They're a power hitting team. They're slow. Station to station. Well guess what? That won them the division. And it could win them even more, this series isn't over. Tampa held serve. Now it's our turn.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 3, 2008 -> 10:05 PM)
I disagree. Today's game was winnable folks. And if we win we're tied 1-1 and the city of Chicago is GOING NUTS over our chances. We'd get homefield vs. Boston.

We came out today and had great momentum early. We loaded the bases for godsakes and their pitcher was horribly wild and shaky. I may be FOS but I thought OC shoulda been sent from second on the single to set an aggressive tone for godsakes. (Though Fathom just told me OC had a bad ankle and couldn't score so my bad, there).

Be that as it may we get 2 meager runs. Just two. And Kasmir Sweater continued to suck in the second inning.

We still had mild control and Lexi makes a dumb dumb throw basically giving the Rays their first run when Mark woulda cruised out of that inning still us up, 2-0.

Two runs in the first like somebody said ... not enough ... set tone for a disastrous hitting performance.

Why in god's name does Juan fricking Uribe swing so hard??? Just drill the ball to right field instead of making out after out with men on base (nice single late though as he finally got a hit).

And Reddy with all due respect how the heck do you still love Swish??? He did get on base the first three times up which is very nice, but I dunno what he was thinking on that at bat where he whiffed and failed to be a hero (again).

"....Why in god's name does Juan fricking Uribe swing so hard??? Just drill the ball to right field instead of making out after out with men on base (nice single late though as he finally got a hit)...."

In case the ball happens to hit his bat, he wants to make sure it travels very far and hopefully not near a fielder.

Remember Juanito is a 'free swinger' and has a hell of a glove. These two facts wipe out everything he does wrong with the bat in his hands.

We're a flawed team playing a superior oppoent. Like fathom said, hopefully we make it fun at home, but we knew this was an imperfect team coming in. It almost seems like Tuesday was our World Series. Kenny has some work to do this offseason, but I think he realizes that and hopefully he'll get it done. But hopefully we hit some home runs and win a couple at home before that.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

this team is hilarious

can't even get a simple base hit when it matters

i'd like to see Swisher dealt, no f***ing questions asked about that, the dude is f***ing scared to swing the bat

he's gotta be the worst hitter in our lineup at keeping an at-bat alive by fouling pitches off, because he never fouls anything off on 3-2

Edited by joesaiditstrue

I agree it seemed like Tuesday was our WS. It was a great night, but if it was our WS then at least admit we gave up on the big picture without CQ. Somebody told me to not blame injuries in one thread. Well are we simply admitting with CQ we had a shot and without him merely outlasting the Twinks was our WS?? You can't have it both ways.

I truly think we could have and should have won today and agree with the Trib columnist that the Rays do not look like a 97 win team right now. We had them today early but refused to open a massive lead like they would have opened on us had our starter loaded the bases with no outs.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 4, 2008 -> 12:13 AM)
I agree it seemed like Tuesday was our WS. It was a great night, but if it was our WS then at least admit we gave up on the big picture without CQ. Somebody told me to not blame injuries in one thread. Well are we simply admitting with CQ we had a shot and without him merely outlasting the Twinks was our WS?? You can't have it both ways.

I truly think we could have and should have won today and agree with the Trib columnist that the Rays do not look like a 97 win team right now. We had them today early but refused to open a massive lead like they would have opened on us had our starter loaded the bases with no outs.

It would have been lame to blame the injuries had we not won the division, because even with the injuries, we were the best team. But I think any sane person would admit that this team was flawed even if CQ, Crede, Contreras, etc were healthy, let alone with them not around. Hard to win in October as it is (I don't know how well we'd have done if healthy, but who knows), it's even harder with key people injured.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Interesting usage of the word "dislike."

Who do I dislike on this team (based on this year)? Off the top of my head I'm coming up with ...

Dotel, Swish, Wise, Boone, Javy, MacDougal, Ramirez, Contreras.

Not crazy about Paulie, OC, Uribe, Griffey, Toby.

Like a lot: Lexi, Crede, Carlos Q, Dye, AJP, Mark B, Floyd, Danks,

Like pretty much or are neutral about: Thornton, Thome, Anderson, Linebrink (when healthy), Richard, Broadway.

Can't think of any other players right now.

So who do you all truly dislike on the team? I came up with eight.

Based on my likes/dislikes, this team needed another GOOD reliever and needed yes another good outfielder not named Swisher, Wise or Griffey.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 3, 2008 -> 07:17 PM)
Fire away!

I'm not really even upset, I haven't been able to get tense like the 3rd game in Minnesota or the one game playoff against the Twins.

I think our Sox just left everything in Chicago, and any momentum we had was squandered by Vazquez.

All things considered, we're just not as good as the other three playoff teams, who have better starting pitching (at least none of them would have to start Vazquez), speed, fundamentals and especially the middle relievers.

Pitching and defense in the playoffs >>> Softball approach

I feel the same way. I hate the losing but I remember not being able to sleep in 2000 and 1993 when the Sox lost in the playoffs. I was livid after 2003 (and was one of the "classless" people who booed Manuel at the All Star game. That being said, I'm pissed when we lose now, but it's easy to see the teams gaping holes as they been problems in most of the KW era.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 3, 2008 -> 11:13 PM)

Maybe I have a selective memory, but it seems like in most of the Sox/Rays games this year, we have failed to take advantage of huge opportunities.

QUOTE (gosox41 @ Oct 4, 2008 -> 09:30 PM)
I feel the same way. I hate the losing but I remember not being able to sleep in 2000 and 1993 when the Sox lost in the playoffs. I was livid after 2003 (and was one of the "classless" people who booed Manuel at the All Star game. That being said, I'm pissed when we lose now, but it's easy to see the teams gaping holes as they been problems in most of the KW era.

In 2005, there was just relief we survived the Indians' onslaught...and then the team relaxed again and started playing and pitching like they were capable of.

This year, the feeling is that our playoff games started on Sunday...not that we were content just to get there, but we all know the team's problems playing on turf and domes, the inability to skip Vazquez in the rotation due to the 3 days' rest issue...I think we can take Garza down (he's a former Twin, after all) but that Sonnanstine will give us fits.

I'm just happy for Danks and would also be happy to see Floyd get a taste of post-season play...to whet their appetite for the future. Then KW can pick up the pieces and put together a more balanced team for 09. This team had balance in the pitching staff, until Linebrink and Contreras went down. But our offense has been consistenly inconsistent and sometimes offensive, especially in the second half of the season, and specifically, after Quentin went down and Ramirez started to wear out a little bit from the long season.

I'll be honest....the Sox making the playoffs and the Cubs not winning the World Series = successful baseball season

I love this comment!!!!!

Bottom line: the Sox still have a chance. We need to f*** them f***ers up. We don't need a bunch of teenybopper b****es who have silly looking mohawks, who's manager is Elvis Costello in 30 years, have stupid little slutty cheerleaders, a mascot who is a rip off of ours, have a lopsided baseball dome, who's fans all took little yellow buses with their silly f***ing cowbells, and who are catching a "ray" of sunshine kicking our ass out. Let's at least win the next two here. And then when we get back to the Trop, show them that THE CHICAGO WHITE SOX ARE IN THE BUILDING AND THEY ARE HERE TO f*** YOUR ORANGE JUICE DRINKING ASSES UP!!!!

I don't deny the Rays have some talent. But the White Sox being the most inconsistent team in baseball, it is that time when they turn the volume up again.

GO SOX! :headbang :gosox3:

Edited by rangerjae