Off-Season Suggestion Thread

maggsmaggs

So my off-season has started now I guess, I am really think these few moves could help the Sox big time.

CF-Jerry Hairston (could use him as a starter or bench player, but I think he is the type of player we need; speed, hits for average or at least this past year and has ties to the organization).

SS-Rafael Furcal (Alexei should not move to SS, get Furcal and plug him in as a leadoff hitter)

3B-Casey Blake (good veteran presence and a consistent bat and producer at the bottom of the order)

-Bring Getz up as a full time utility man

-Get a new backup catcher who most importantly plays defense very well and throws out runner and a bonus if he can hit righties well.

These five additions to the offense would take away the one dimensional aspect somewhat and bring some balance to the team.

-Also, sign Mark Prior for training camp fodder (It would be perfect to see him come to the South Side and somehow resurrect his career, this is more off a funny little one)

Alright, opening day is only a few months away. What are your off-season suggestions? And how stupid am I with mine?

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My biggest wants are: 1. Derek Lowe, 2. C.C. Sabathia (Although he would require too much money for us to nab him), 3. A speedy 3B, SS, 2B, or CF who can hit for average, can steal, and plays solid D (Furcal or Roberts?).

Edited by jenks45monster

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 08:35 PM)
My targets would include the following, in no order:

Rafael Furcal

Orlando Hudson

Adrian Beltre

Brian Roberts

Rocco Baldelli/Carl Crawford

C.C. Sabathia

Garrett Atkins

J.J. Hardy

Robinson Cano

Derek Lowe

Forget Sabathia and Crawford, way too expensive (in trade or contract). I'll add CoCo Crisp, Casey Blake, Chad Bradford (no runs given up in 17 post-season appearances and a former Sox farmhand) and Melky Cabrera to the list. Kevin Kouzmanoff and Melvin Mora for 3B. I don't think we can afford Derek Lowe and Javier Vazquez on the same team...with our existing payroll.

I'm a bit of a dreamer, but I consider this proposal to be somewhat reasonable.

This one relies on the theory that Coop can improve anybody

Vasquez, McDougal (and potentially a 3rd prospect) for Homer Bailey.

Reasoning:

I consider this to be a sequel to the Danks, and Floyd deals, and must be considered with the following in mind.

Over the previous two years the reds have become extraordinarily frustrated with Bailey. To the point of sending him back and forth level to level. In doing so, they have shaken his confidence to a point, where some in the organization believe it cannot be returned. Now, with the Volquez deal, and the seeming emergence of Cueto. The reds have options, and are now looking for a bit more experience in their rotation to balance Harang with the younger generation. Look at this from the reds perspective Vasquez is in many ways a predecessor to Volquez and Cueto. He's a strikeout pitcher with a heavy fastball, and a sharp breaking ball. With a multiyear, and a decent track record the reds would seek to modernize their rotation to potentially, compete for second place in a horrible division. Also, McDougal has the track record of potential masked by continued mediocrity that some like. As a one or two innings man he could potentially, find his niche with the organization.

Cons:

Bailey is young, very young, leaving the Reds enough room to wait him out.

He's been a huge prospect for years. Why give up now, epically after only two years?

Conclusion:

Ultimately, it's a tossup, but I don't think the price would break our backs.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 08:45 PM)
I'm a bit of a dreamer, but I consider this proposal to be somewhat reasonable.

This one relies on the theory that Coop can improve anybody

Vasquez, McDougal (and potentially a 3rd prospect) for Homer Bailey.

Reasoning:

I consider this to be a sequel to the Danks, and Floyd deals, and must be considered with the following in mind.

Over the previous two years the reds have become extraordinarily frustrated with Bailey. To the point of sending him back and forth level to level. In doing so, they have shaken his confidence to a point, where some in the organization believe it cannot be returned. Now, with the Volquez deal, and the seeming emergence of Cueto. The reds have options, and are now looking for a bit more experience in their rotation to balance Harang with the younger generation. Look at this from the reds perspective Vasquez is in many ways a predecessor to Volquez and Cueto. He's a strikeout pitcher with a heavy fastball, and a sharp breaking ball. With a multiyear, and a decent track record the reds would seek to modernize their rotation to potentially, compete for second place in a horrible division. Also, McDougal has the track record of potential masked by continued mediocrity that some like. As a one or two innings man he could potentially, find his niche with the organization.

Cons:

Bailey is young, very young, leaving the Reds enough room to wait him out.

He's been a huge prospect for years. Why give up now, epically after only two years?

Conclusion:

Ultimately, it's a tossup, but I don't think the price would break our backs.

I'd love the trade, which means the Reds would probably hate it. lol.

thunderbolt: i like your idea... not sure that the reds are ready to give up on bailey just yet, but you never know and he's a guy to target...

i would imagine that the brewers would be a team interested in javy as well...id imagine theyd look to compete for next year, and probably will be without sabathia and sheets....they'll for sure be in the market for a SP...im just not sure KW should trade javy while his value is relatively low though

My post from another thread:

I feel good about next year.

Guys I want on to see still on the roster for 2009.

Lexi

Carlos Q

AJ (name a catcher who would be a better option)

Swish ( I don't believe we should sell low, I think he comes around)

Dye

Konerko

Buehrle

Floyd

Danks

Thornton

Linebrink

Dotel

Richard

Russell

Jenks

Guys I don't want to see in 2009

Javier Vasquez

Jose Contreras

Jim Thome

Joe Crede

Ken Griffey Jr.

Guys I haven't mentioned, I don't have strong feelings either way if they stay or leave.

I would like to see a couple changes though.

Move Dye to DH (thome gone).

Move Lexi to SS (cabrera gone). I would not throw a fit if cabrera stays though.

That gives us 2 positions (2b,of) where we can go after a little more speed. Not necessarily base stealers. I want the sox to get away from nearly EVERY player in the lineup a 1 dimensional home run hitter/base path clogger.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 09:51 PM)
Homer Bailey = steroid user in high school. Same with the Rasmus boys and Kyle Drabek.

Really? Damn, that would explain the recent track record...and that's why Rasmus and Drabek break down every year. Alright, screw the pipedream it would be a nightmare.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 01:56 AM)
Really? Damn, that would explain the recent track record...and that's why Rasmus and Drabek break down every year. Alright, screw the pipedream it would be a nightmare.

Bailey's velocity is down to 91 mph now. If you're giving up Vazquez's 200 innings, you better get someone you know can be a starter.

If you can find a taker for Swisher, I wouldn't mind seeing him go. Let Crede walk. See if the Rangers want Vagquez.

Want to sign some kind of speed. And a good 4th or 5th starter.

I think the market for bullpen help will be insane, and I also think the pen was okay compared to the rest of the league.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 09:01 PM)
If you can find a taker for Swisher, I wouldn't mind seeing him go. Let Crede walk. See if the Rangers want Vagquez.

Want to sign some kind of speed. And a good 4th or 5th starter.

I think the market for bullpen help will be insane, and I also think the pen was okay compared to the rest of the league.

so you trade 3 prospects for swisher, and then trade swisher at the lowest possible value he could have. I'll pass.