Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ScottPodRulez22 @ Jan 24, 2009 -> 06:07 PM)
They played a terrible terrible second half, and yet still won by 8. You should have watched them during the first half. I'll listen to your opinion on Illinois State after you have watched more then 1 half of basketball.

Ok I love watching the NIT tourney.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 24, 2009 -> 05:34 PM)
Big game coming up against Minnesota at the barn. I think if we get through that and Iowa we're sitting pretty with a couple of tough games left.

You're playing us at the right time, as we're currently in a rather large identity crisis. That plus the fact that we haven't beaten you in 19 someodd years spells disaster for the Gophers.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 24, 2009 -> 06:10 PM)
Ok I love watching the NIT tourney.

Your mad at shoe because he is throwing his opinion out on the Big Ten and U of I without watching their games. Yet your doing the exact same thing with Ilstu.

QUOTE (ScottPodRulez22 @ Jan 24, 2009 -> 06:12 PM)
Your mad at shoe because he is throwing his opinion out on the Big Ten and U of I without watching their games. Yet your doing the exact same thing with Ilstu.

I am not mad, I am laughing at his clueless bias. I absoultely hate Illanoy, but I can tell you that they are a very talented team. Come find me when Ill State beats somebody with a wow factor.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 24, 2009 -> 06:15 PM)
I am not mad, I am laughing at his clueless bias. I absoultely hate Illanoy, but I can tell you that they are a very talented team. Come find me when Ill State beats somebody with a wow factor.

Beating Creighton by 22 didn't do it for ya?

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 24, 2009 -> 06:11 PM)
Except when playing the powerhouse that is Indiana State.

Our best player was sick, Wichita is the only real bad loss and you are bound to lose to one bad team on the road. Look at Mich St. vs. Northwestern. Indy St. could beat Northwestern.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jan 24, 2009 -> 07:29 PM)
Our best player was sick, Wichita is the only real bad loss and you are bound to lose to one bad team on the road. Look at Mich St. vs. Northwestern. Indy St. could beat Northwestern.

LOFL. Indiana State couldn't beat Indiana more than 3 out of 10 times. That team is laughably bad. And sorry to tell you this but Creighton isn't a good team. Nobody in the MVC is good this year.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 24, 2009 -> 06:15 PM)

Can I laugh at your Illinois State and MVC clueless bias then? You don't go 17-3 when your not good. I watch all college basketball, and I can tell you your right that U of I would beat ISU and so would the top teams in all the other major conferences, but that does not mean ISU is bad. I could still easily see ISU winning their first round game in the NCAA tourney if they make it there, and possibly even their second. Which would be great for a team like ISU.

QUOTE (ScottPodRulez22 @ Jan 24, 2009 -> 06:32 PM)
Can I laugh at your Illinois State and MVC clueless bias then? You don't go 17-3 when your not good. I watch all college basketball, and I can tell you your right that U of I would beat ISU and so would the top teams in all the other major conferences, but that does not mean ISU is bad. I could still easily see ISU winning their first round game in the NCAA tourney if they make it there, and possibly even their second. Which would be great for a team like ISU.

The MVC is just not that good this year.

have you seen your SOS?

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 24, 2009 -> 06:34 PM)
The MVC is just not that good this year.

have you seen your SOS?

You know why the SOS sucks? Because BCS schools fear playing good midmajors because of the fact they might lose. They'd rather pay a school to come to their stadium to lose.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 24, 2009 -> 06:34 PM)
You mean you aren't impressed by Illinois St. beating a team that is only a game over .500 in the MVC.

haha nope.

Ill State fans remind me of KU football fans before Mangino.

They go 4-0 in non conference, beating the Sam Houston states and NW Louis States of the world.

Then they get into conference, beat the relatively easy teams at home, and lose most road games.

Usually this time of the year, the nationa pundits will start talking about the power of the mid majors. I have not heard a peep about the MVC.

Yes, I know the national pundits are clueless.

QUOTE (ScottPodRulez22 @ Jan 24, 2009 -> 06:37 PM)
You know why the SOS sucks? Because BCS schools fear playing good midmajors because of the fact they might lose. They'd rather pay a school to come to their stadium to lose.

um that is not true at all.

no one had ever heard of Ill State before this year for the most part.

I am sure KU will schedule with Ill State very soon.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 24, 2009 -> 06:38 PM)

You're undefeated right now, and many of those wins came over very respectable mid-major opponents. How did you manage to put together a schedule without any of those tough guarantee games?

We don't play guarantee games. We're just not going to do that. We don't need to financially, which is great. We tried to play home-and-homes with a number of BCS schools, but unfortunately we weren't able to get that done. I'm not outing anybody—that's just the way it goes—it's a frustration of scheduling at our level.

You've worked under Vanderbilt's Kevin Stallings and, most recently, Kansas' Bill Self. Any chance we'll see either of those programs on your schedule in the future?

They would be two of the last people I'd ever want to play. I would take no enjoyment, ever, from playing friends. Truth be told, I would never even ask them.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3812982

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 24, 2009 -> 06:38 PM)

What he said was spot on. You think they wanted to have a terrible schedule for this season? There is no way a BCS school will play Ill St. at home and they definitely won't come into Redbird Arena to do it either, which is sad. It's all the same level of basketball, it's not like the MVC is 1-AA or something.

Edited by kjshoe04

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 24, 2009 -> 06:44 PM)
If lll State were too do something in the tourney, they would get plenty of offers from top squads.

No they wouldn't in fact they'd have less of a chance then this year. The BCS schools don't need strong non-conference games to get into the NCAA tourney. So why would they play a good school in ISU when they could play an absolute dog and destroy them?

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 24, 2009 -> 06:44 PM)
If lll State were too do something in the tourney, they would get plenty of offers from top squads.

and everyone holds them down from getting into the tourney by not playing them. There is no way they should not have been in the tourney last year with an RPI at 32. Yet for some reason BCS teams with RPI's in the 70's got in. I wonder why. It's a shame that the only way in is winning the conference tourney when mediocre BCS conference teams get in. It's all about money and ISU doesn't bring it.