Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 07:01 PM)
That was not even close to a clean play. He clearly throws an elbow that hits Jackson square in the face.

If you watch that and think that is a clean play, well then you badly need your eyes checked because I fear you are going blind.

Ok, I take it back. I was watching the replay while playing Gears so I didn't see him extend the elbow. That is pretty flagrant. I'm suprised the ref that was running by didn't see it.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 09:19 AM)
I dont agree with that large of a top tier

My top tier right now is UCONN, Pitt, Oklahoma, UNC, Louisville

Then right behind them I'd place Duke, Texas, Marquette, MSU, Xavier

After that I think there is a definite drop off. If you look at some of the ranked teams right now, I think it speaks more to their record then it does to the actual quality of their team. Syracuse, Purdue, Clemson, Butler, Memphis and Illinois I dont think are anything special. Teams like Gonzaga, Georgetown and Arizona State however I do feel like they are capable of making a run. Then there are teams like Florida, Kansas, Notre Dame, Baylor, FSU who are unranked but better than some of the ranked teams IMO (St. Mary's, Washington, Purdue).

Basically, saying there are 10-15 teams in the top tier I feel is too many. I would be shocked if no one in my top two tiers I listed wins the Tourney, but i'd be willing to bet a lot it comes from my list of 5 tier 1 teams. But of course there are 20-30 teams who can challenge a top team given the situation, I dont dispute that (look at Ok St the other night) but to do it for 6 games? No. George Mason and Villanova won't show up again for a looong time.

Who has Gonzaga and Georgetown beaten to deserve that? Georgetown is not going to be in the top 25 next week after losing to Cincy last night. Same with your second tier of Kansas (who i admit looks decent in a mediocre big 12), Notre Dame (the most overrated team in the country), Florida and ASU. We'll find out more about Clemson once they start playing the big boys of the ACC, Memphis we won't know until the tourney because they play in the worst "major" conference in history. Syracuse just lost to Providence, and their win over notre dame is looking less impressive each game the irish play. I also don't see the hype for Louisville. They beat a good Pitt team at home, but they lost to a team like Minnesota.

I agree that there are about 10 teams right now that could win the whole thing, and then a second tier of about 10 teams that could win 3-4 games in the tourney and make a run.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 11:08 AM)
Who has Gonzaga and Georgetown beaten to deserve that? Georgetown is not going to be in the top 25 next week after losing to Cincy last night.

I saw G'Town really take it to Connecticut in Storrs earlier this year and Summers and Monroe played great. I didnt say I thought they could win, but with those two playing well I could see them winning 2 or 3 games. Same with Gonzaga. Obviously they have played porrly at times but they have the talent (Heytvelt, Daye, Pargo, Bouldin) to cause trouble to some teams.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 11:08 AM)
Same with your second tier of Kansas (who i admit looks decent in a mediocre big 12), Notre Dame (the most overrated team in the country), Florida and ASU. We'll find out more about Clemson once they start playing the big boys of the ACC, Memphis we won't know until the tourney because they play in the worst "major" conference in history. Syracuse just lost to Providence, and their win over notre dame is looking less impressive each game the irish play. I also don't see the hype for Louisville. They beat a good Pitt team at home, but they lost to a team like Minnesota.

Louisville has just flat out looked great in the last couple weeks. Also, losing to Minnesota isnt a killer as Minnesota has a decent team at least. Plus, its college hoops, it happens (UNC/BC for example). Samuels is really playing well right now and Sosa has been shooting great. They are athletic and right now could play with anyone in the country IMO.

And I only mentioned the unranked teams like Florida, ND and Kansas more to point out that a lot of the teams that are currently ranked just arent really that great.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 12:26 PM)
I saw G'Town really take it to Connecticut in Storrs earlier this year and Summers and Monroe played great. I didnt say I thought they could win, but with those two playing well I could see them winning 2 or 3 games. Same with Gonzaga. Obviously they have played porrly at times but they have the talent (Heytvelt, Daye, Pargo, Bouldin) to cause trouble to some teams.

Louisville has just flat out looked great in the last couple weeks. Also, losing to Minnesota isnt a killer as Minnesota has a decent team at least. Plus, its college hoops, it happens (UNC/BC for example). Samuels is really playing well right now and Sosa has been shooting great. They are athletic and right now could play with anyone in the country IMO.

And I only mentioned the unranked teams like Florida, ND and Kansas more to point out that a lot of the teams that are currently ranked just arent really that great.

Georgetown can't shoot the ball which is obviously going to keep them from doing anything in the tourney. They have good wings but they have no depth inside and they are terrible 3 pt shooting team. Monroe and Summers are very good but the rest of that team just isn't that great. I will say that their athleticism can make them a tough out come tourney time.

Louisville is clearly not the same team they were early in the year. But the reason for their turnaround is simple, they are the best defensive team in the country. I still don't like their guards at all (Sosa has been terrible this year and only shot the ball well in his last game) but Williams, Clark, and Samuels is as good as it gets for a frontcourt. They still need to get better on the offensive side of the ball to be a true final 4 team.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 03:37 PM)
Got this article off the Illiniloyalty board. Very good read. The arrow is definitely trending upwards for this program.

http://www.toptenchicagosports.com/2009/01...are-flying.html

I don't think anybody would argue with this. The Illini really don't have a great deal of talent this year, and are still 17-3 and going to make the NCAA Tournament barring disaster. As the calvary arrives the next two years (and the 2011 class is probably going to be fantastic as well), things are going to only get better and better down there.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 03:51 PM)
I don't think anybody would argue with this. The Illini really don't have a great deal of talent this year, and are still 17-3 and going to make the NCAA Tournament barring disaster. As the calvary arrives the next two years (and the 2011 class is probably going to be fantastic as well), things are going to only get better and better down there.

That Mike Davis, Mike Tisdale, and McCamey class is really shaping up to be a lot better than once thought though. Especially if you throw in Legion as part of that group. Chester Frazier has also upped his game greatly.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 03:58 PM)
I've got a bad feeling about the game tonight. You know Minnesota is due to beat us at some point. We should be alright as long as we keep Westbrook under control.

Yes please. Westbrook isn't the guy you should be worried about though. Al Nolen is the real focus of our offense and without him we can't get anything done. Damian Johnson is also definitely something to watch out for, although his defense is far better than his offense (which can be good, but often isn't anything to write home about). Westbrook will get his points, but he's not really the guy people should be worried about if they want to stop our offense.

I'm heading to the Barn in 15 minutes or so here, but I'll wish you guys luck before heading out. And please don't kill me when the game is over, one way or another :(

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 11:12 PM)
That Mike Davis, Mike Tisdale, and McCamey class is really shaping up to be a lot better than once thought though. Especially if you throw in Legion as part of that group. Chester Frazier has also upped his game greatly.

Yeah, after initially being seen as a huge disappointment, that sophomore class has to be one of the best in the nation.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

That might have been the worst half of basketball I've ever seen at the major college basketball level (that is slightly hyperbolic, but I legitimately thing it's one of the 10 worst). People can throw out the "great defense" bull s***, but that was absolutely pathetic offense. Neither team deserves to win at this point, and I would hope for the sake of those watching that SOMEBODY (preferably Illinois of course) steps up and actually plays some ball in the 2nd half.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 08:53 PM)
I'm not saying the league is bad, but the level of play in Big 10 games this season has been as bad as I can ever remember.

Part of it is good defense, and part of it is officiating in my opinion. The refs who do Big 10 games let WAY too much go, and I think you'd see the games open up a bit if they were ever to be called properly.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 10:29 PM)
When you beat a team 21 times in a row, the odds say a loss is imminent, especially when your opponent is pretty good and it's on the road. At the same time, this is one of the worst offensive games I've ever seen any college team play, let alone Illinois.

Just an all around terrible performance. Legion has been disappointing, Davis didn't want to play tonight and Trent hasn't hit a shot in a month.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 09:31 PM)
Just an all around terrible performance. Legion has been disappointing, Davis didn't want to play tonight and Trent hasn't hit a shot in a month.

Trent is an absolutely awful big game player. For the most part, you can count on him shooting blanks if the stakes in the game are big. I'm surprised at Davis tonight though, he usually shows up in the big games and naps through the lesser ones.