Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 19, 2009 -> 05:54 PM)
They blame the refs, win or lose. Another staple of Weber is always claiming someone was sick/injured after a loss. Last night, he was saying McCamey was throwing up at halftime. If a guy is sick or injured, then don't play him! The Illini have to be one of the luckiest teams, with regards to health, all year in the NCAA. Not many other teams can start the same lineup in 25 consecutive games.

I already said we deserved to lose 100 times over last night. Just stop. And McCamey did throw up at half time, though you're right in that it's Bruce's fault for playing him.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 19, 2009 -> 11:54 AM)
They blame the refs, win or lose. Another staple of Weber is always claiming someone was sick/injured after a loss. Last night, he was saying McCamey was throwing up at halftime. If a guy is sick or injured, then don't play him! The Illini have to be one of the luckiest teams, with regards to health, all year in the NCAA. Not many other teams can start the same lineup in 25 consecutive games.

Are you an Illinois State fan? You obviously have some jealousy issues.

Boy am I hoping that KU can make a good impressio on Lance Stephenson, his addition may take us back to a final four.

Aldrich, Jeff Withey, Morris Twins, Mario Little, Quintrell Thomas, Thomas Robinson in the front court

Collins(if he comes back) Elijah johnson, Stephenson???, Tyshawn Taylor, Tyrel Reed, Morningstar, Releford

Damn

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 19, 2009 -> 08:48 PM)
Should never have gotten there, that was a BS call on Langford in OT that year...haha i keed.

That was a hell of a game (not to mention you had home field advantage)...GT and Kansas fans have a lot of admiration for each other it seems like.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 19, 2009 -> 07:51 PM)
Boy am I hoping that KU can make a good impressio on Lance Stephenson, his addition may take us back to a final four.

Aldrich, Jeff Withey, Morris Twins, Mario Little, Quintrell Thomas, Thomas Robinson in the front court

Collins(if he comes back) Elijah johnson, Stephenson???, Tyshawn Taylor, Tyrel Reed, Morningstar, Releford

Damn

I was under the impression that Collins and Aldrich won't be back. As for "The Chosen One", I'm not a fan. His game doesn't really translate to the college level that well, as he just bullies players with his size now. He's also a massive ballhog and has a terrible attitude. I'd rather he go to St. John's, and try to take over NYC.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 19, 2009 -> 02:00 PM)
I was under the impression that Collins and Aldrich won't be back. As for "The Chosen One", I'm not a fan. His game doesn't really translate to the college level that well, as he just bullies players with his size now. He's also a massive ballhog and has a terrible attitude. I'd rather he go to St. John's, and try to take over NYC.

Aldrich and Collins should be back next year, but who knows?

I have alot of faith in Self dealing with big egos. For example, Brandon Rush was not exactly a model citizen entering Kansas.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 19, 2009 -> 08:12 PM)
So at this point in time we might possibly be the worst team in a very bad mvc. It's so sad to see this program now. We were starting(not quite there) to get to a Gonzaga level and all that is gone now. Complete crash.

Yeah, I've been wondering what the hell happened to SIU. Did Lowery cost himself a lot of money by not pursuing a higher level job? The most important thing for SIU now is to keep the 3 frosh in school for their 4 year career.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 19, 2009 -> 02:14 PM)
Yeah, I've been wondering what the hell happened to SIU. Did Lowery cost himself a lot of money by not pursuing a higher level job? The most important thing for SIU now is to keep the 3 frosh in school for their 4 year career.

Well Lowery is still making a good amount of money. 750k in Carbondale is a ton of money. But ya, no one is going to want him now that's for sure. Lowery needs to adjust his offensive ways with the skill sets some of these new guys have. I will say Bocot, Booker, Dillard and Hare is a nice little core to build around but they're so f***in unorganized and just plain dumb right now, and yes that goes to inexperience but that has a LOT to do with the coaching staff and that crap needs to be addressed.

It's just sad, 2 years ago we had made it to the NCAA's 6 years in a row and were a few calls(not blaming the refs jimbo, just trying to make a point) away from the elite 8 and now we're about to be playing in one of the play in games for the MVC tourny. Sad.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 19, 2009 -> 02:21 PM)
Well Lowery is still making a good amount of money. 750k in Carbondale is a ton of money. But ya, no one is going to want him now that's for sure. Lowery needs to adjust his offensive ways with the skill sets some of these new guys have. I will say Bocot, Booker, Dillard and Hare is a nice little core to build around but they're so f***in unorganized and just plain dumb right now, and yes that goes to inexperience but that has a LOT to do with the coaching staff and that crap needs to be addressed.

It's just sad, 2 years ago we had made it to the NCAA's 6 years in a row and were a few calls(not blaming the refs jimbo, just trying to make a point) away from the elite 8 and now we're about to be playing in one of the play in games for the MVC tourny. Sad.

haha, you know my opinion on that game.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 19, 2009 -> 10:23 AM)
s***ty game last night by Illinois...another example of having no good go-to guy off the dribble dooming your team. It sucks McCamey is sick (if that's even a good excuse) but they should play through it. To not score 40 pts is ridiculous. This is worse than the MN game because at least in that game MN played solid D for 40 minutes. This game they got shot after shot after shot and couldn't hit anything.

And for those that say the Big Ten is terrible, they still have the 2nd best RPI in the country. I'm not saying their great...i dont see any team getting to the final four...but when bottom feeders start beating the top you know that as a whole the conference is pretty good.

The poster talking about Webers supposed bad acts is hilarious. Yeah it's really bad of a coach to give his players the opportunity to right their wrongs, ya know, instead of completely ruining their lives. Luther was supposedly involved in a robbery, though it was never shown he participated, only that he was there. Instead of kicking him off the team and ruining his life, he taught him a lesson and made him a millionare. As to the Jamar Smith thing, I dunno what else he could have done. To pretend that these guys aren't 18-22 year old college kids who are going to drink and make mistakes is ridiculous. He kicked him off the team for a year and told him not to f*** up again. He did, so he got booted. Name me a program in the country that hasn't had SOME issue with a player.

He's playing with a team full of good sophmores and seniors with little to no offensive talent. In a year that they were supposed to finish at 5th or 6th AT BEST, he had them in the title hunt. That's pretty f'n good in my book. Starting next season we'll be getting some serious talent mixed with experience.

And to whoever keeps posting that Illini fans b**** about the refs more than anyone else, stop beating the dead horse. EVERY team b****es about the officiating, especially when its well known the officiating sucks in college basketball. What's worse? Fans that b**** about the refs or fans that think their entitled to the greatest of great rankings because they were good 30 years ago?

He could have, you know, done what most sane human beings would have done and kicked him off the team once he became a convicted felon. Instead, he stupidly tried to keep him around because his team lacked talent due to his poor recruiting, and not surprisingly the stupid person made another stupid decision, and Jamar was FINALLY thrown off the team. I am still shocked at how poorly Bruce handled that.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 19, 2009 -> 01:39 PM)
Nope, no jealousy issues. I have my own team to root for who's seen their program hit the fan after a loss in the National Championship game.

Did you really just compare Tech to Illinois? Illinois like Tech has some really good players coming in soon, but unlike Tech has a coach that can handle them. The Illinois program is way better than Tech right now, and the gap will only widen in the future. Please don't let your Illinois dislike distort reality.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 19, 2009 -> 10:42 PM)
Did you really just compare Tech to Illinois? Illinois like Tech has some really good players coming in soon, but unlike Tech has a coach that can handle them. The Illinois program is way better than Tech right now, and the gap will only widen in the future. Please don't let your Illinois dislike distort reality.

Hewitt is a terrible coach, but even he might be bringing in a recruiting class that could make anyone look like a good coach. I don't see how you can say one program is better than the other right now besides their performance on the court this season. GT has the #3 recruiting class in the country (Udofia is the pure pg they desperately lack this season), and with Shumpert and Lawal now expected to return, they should be a top 20 team when you put one of the best players in the country added to the bunch in Favors. As much as I hate Hewitt, he sure has had a ton of bad luck the past few years with Crittenton's early entry and injuries/departures.

BTW 101, don't get me wrong about the Illini's future. With Howard at the recruiting helm, they have a great hold on the state of Illinois (especially with DePaul's pathetic coach). They should continue to have top 10-15 recruiting classes. They just have to hope Richmond and Head continue to mature on/off the court.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 19, 2009 -> 03:12 PM)
So at this point in time we might possibly be the worst team in a very bad mvc. It's so sad to see this program now. We were starting(not quite there) to get to a Gonzaga level and all that is gone now. Complete crash.

In retrospect, that UMass win raised our expectations. This is what I thought we would be this year, but after getting to MSG, I started thinking that we maybe better. I was wrong.

He could have, you know, done what most sane human beings would have done and kicked him off the team once he became a convicted felon. Instead, he stupidly tried to keep him around because his team lacked talent due to his poor recruiting, and not surprisingly the stupid person made another stupid decision, and Jamar was FINALLY thrown off the team. I am still shocked at how poorly Bruce handled that.

If the school chose not to kick him out, I think its fine he kept him around. He tried to give the guy a chance at a good life after making a huge mistake. I don't see a problem with that. I don't condone it, but far worse things have been done by college athletes. He wasn't stealing s*** from the school, he didn't kill anyone, he wasn't dealing drugs. And you sure he become a felon? Didn't he just get probation? Either way, I think he gave Smith every opportunity to prove that he was a good guy and that he made amends for his earlier mistake. It's not Weber's fault the guy was an idiot.

Edit: ugh, some ugly english in my first attempt.

Edited by Jenksismybitch