Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 07:57 PM)
Illinois is extremely subpar, a good small conference team could easily beat them in the first round.

The Big 10 fixed it's depth problem, but it's just as bad as ever at the top, which will be exposed about a month from now. Michigan State and Purdue are the only teams in the league that look capable of winning in the NCAA Tournament, and even they have their noteable warts, such as being swept by this Illinois cast of characters in Purdue's case, and home losses to Northwestern and Penn State in Michigan State's.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 07:57 PM)
Illinois is extremely subpar, a good small conference team could easily beat them in the first round.

A good small conference team could beat any team in the country in the first round, so whats your point?

So officially that was the worst Ill could play, at least they showed it to the public.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 07:55 PM)
it was the most pathetic "high level" college basketball game between two teams that will be in the NCAA Tournament I have ever seen.

Penn State is on the outside looking in for the tournament. That win is a solid resume boost, but their RPI is horrendous.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 08:06 PM)
Penn State is on the outside looking in for the tournament. That win is a solid resume boost, but their RPI is horrendous.

They'll get in. 99 out of 100 years I would be with you here, but the at large pool is so awful that Penn State is in good shape to get in now with their league record in a league that overall does have a good RPI and wins at Michigan State and Illinois.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 08:16 PM)
Don't get me wrong, Illinois deserved to lose 100 times over tonight, but I think tonight's game may have been the single worst officiated game I've ever seen.

It was very bad, but nothing out of the ordinary for the Big 10. The refs even themselves out in the league over the course of the season, but I really think part of the Big 10's problem is the refs don't call fouls, and when they do, they call them poorly. If the Big 10 were to get refs who called the games tighter and better, they would have much more scoring, which would help in recruiting and in March IMO.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 19, 2009 -> 03:29 AM)
It was very bad, but nothing out of the ordinary for the Big 10. The refs even themselves out in the league over the course of the season, but I really think part of the Big 10's problem is the refs don't call fouls, and when they do, they call them poorly. If the Big 10 were to get refs who called the games tighter and better, they would have much more scoring, which would help in recruiting and in March IMO.

I agree on the perspective on the whole, but tonight was especially bad. 0 FTs on 50 shots against a pretty physical PSU team? On 6 fouls on the whole? Granted, we are not the most dynamic team, but still.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 19, 2009 -> 03:36 AM)
I agree on the perspective on the whole, but tonight was especially bad. 0 FTs on 50 shots against a pretty physical PSU team? On 6 fouls on the whole? Granted, we are not the most dynamic team, but still.

Illinois is one of the 5 worst teams in the country at getting to the FT line. When you have guards like Frazier and Meacham, that's going to happen.

It amazes me Illinois has the record (and top 25 ranking) they have when I watch them. Bruce Weber should be commended for the in game coaching he has done this year, because this is just not a talented team at all. I understand that is Bruce's fault because he recruited the players, but you know what I mean. It will be interesting to watch them with actual talent in the coming years.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 09:52 PM)
It amazes me Illinois has the record (and top 25 ranking) they have when I watch them. Bruce Weber should be commended for the in game coaching he has done this year, because this is just not a talented team at all. I understand that is Bruce's fault because he recruited the players, but you know what I mean. It will be interesting to watch them with actual talent in the coming years.

Really the only guys with real talent are DMac, Tisdale and Davis who are all sophomores. And DMac is sick and playing like it right now. Unfortunately he just doesn't seem to be one of those guys who can really step up when he isn't feeling at his best. Legion being the worst player on the team has been a huge disappointment. He had 3 wide open 3s in the first half and none of them were close. I really can't believe how bad he has been.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 09:37 PM)
Illinois is one of the 5 worst teams in the country at getting to the FT line. When you have guards like Frazier and Meacham, that's going to happen.

We deserved a few FTs tonight but yes this team just isn't built for drawing fouls. They don't have a consistent low post threat and McCamey is the only one who can get to the basket and he wasn't attacking tonight. Davis did get hammered down low in the 2nd half when he had a layup and I thought Penn St. got away with a couple in the first half but it wasn't the fouls that bugged me. But PSU traveled on a ton of possessions during their run in the 2nd half without being called for it. The one that really stands out is when Morrisey kind of lost the ball at the top of the key took at least 3 steps and then hit Pringle for a wide open 3. I hate Bobby Knight, but he is absolutely right that college basketball officials do a terrible job looking for the walk. And then what killed me is they called a travel on Davis (the right call in that case) for a travel a couple possessions later for dragging the pivot foot. Call it for both teams or don't call it at all.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 19, 2009 -> 03:40 AM)
We deserved a few FTs tonight but yes this team just isn't built for drawing fouls. They don't have a consistent low post threat and McCamey is the only one who can get to the basket and he wasn't attacking tonight. Davis did get hammered down low in the 2nd half when he had a layup and I thought Penn St. got away with a couple in the first half but it wasn't the fouls that bugged me. But PSU traveled on a ton of possessions during their run in the 2nd half without being called for it. The one that really stands out is when Morrisey kind of lost the ball at the top of the key took at least 3 steps and then hit Pringle for a wide open 3. I hate Bobby Knight, but he is absolutely right that college basketball officials do a terrible job looking for the walk. And then what killed me is they called a travel on Davis (the right call in that case) for a travel a couple possessions later for dragging the pivot foot. Call it for both teams or don't call it at all.

Any fan can find a traveling call during a game that should be called. Tisdale shuffled his feet on his little hook shot under 2 minutes to make it a one point game. Tonight's game wasn't decided by the refs...it was by whatever team could make a basket and stop down the stretch.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 09:50 PM)
Any fan can find a traveling call during a game that should be called. Tisdale shuffled his feet on his little hook shot under 2 minutes to make it a one point game. Tonight's game wasn't decided by the refs...it was by whatever team could make a basket and stop down the stretch.

Haha what makes you hate Illinois so much anyways? Most people are self explanatory, but I don't even know what team you like.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 09:50 PM)
Like ISU? :D

You STILL think ISU is better don't you? :lol: :lol:

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 19, 2009 -> 04:52 AM)
Haha what makes you hate Illinois so much anyways? Most people are self explanatory, but I don't even know what team you like.

Sadly, I root Georgia Tech. I hate Bruce Weber with a passion. It's amazing how Weber has such a pristine image among Illini fans when he's as guilty of the same crap that he complains about other coaches doing. I actually like a few of their players, in Chester Frazier and Mike Davis. I disliked the Dee Brown group due to Dee being just a piece of s*** on campus.