Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I already have excuses for the Bradley and first Indy St. game. Just read back a bit. This whole thing supposedly started when Phillips was told to get the ball to O at the end of the first Indy St. game but decided he was taking the final shot. Either way, with the talent this team has, there is no excuse for not being at the top of the valley. I'll continue to make them though.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 03:26 PM)
you win the MVC, I will consider this season a success.

We won't win the reg season for sure. Have a chance at the tourney though. I'd consider it a huge success since they haven't won either since 1998.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 03:28 PM)
We won't win the reg season for sure. Have a chance at the tourney though. I'd consider it a huge success since they haven't won either since 1998.

Right, thats my point....I guess.

to start a season 14-0 in a conference that usually is pretty highly regarded for mid majors and to not make the NCAA tourney is a complete joke.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 10:15 PM)
As a Duke fan i'm surprised you don't love him.

I hate him as much as he loves Duke.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 10:54 PM)
I muted the game early 2nd half because I couldn't take the love fest anymore. It is pretty funny that other than that stretch late 1st half where Duke shot about 80%, UNC outscored Duke by about 30.

Like I said- Duke doesn't have the athletes to be considered "elite".

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 10:41 PM)
Duke has been irrevlevant for a whille now. Withouth the push of ESPN they would be just another mid level major conference team.

^^^^^

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 12, 2009 -> 01:13 AM)
This has been the case for a while. Y'all need to start recruitin' more brothas.

John Wall, the #1 overall recruit according to rivals who will be a freshman next year, is from Raleigh and he's between Baylor, Duke, and Kansas. That could be a nice brotha to add. :lolhitting

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 12, 2009 -> 10:55 AM)
He's not coming to Kansas.

Prized 2010 recruit Harrison Barnes was at the Duke game last night and would be a brothariffic addition.

Yep, everyone made a big deal about him wearing a Duke shirt at the game. I tell you what I think does hurt Duke, the fact that guys like Elliot Williams is buried by Coach K. on the bench just because he is a frosh. They are clearly athletically challenged and Williams is a stud recruit with big time athleticism, but K just doesn't give Plumlee/Williams much run at all. For a stud like Barnes/Wall who should be preping for the NBA, this looks like a pretty big minus for going to Duke.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 12, 2009 -> 07:43 AM)
Connecticut lost Dyson last night in the opening minutes. He did not return. Initially called a severe knee bruise with no structural damage. MRI today. Hopefully he can return quickly b/c UCONN probably can't win without him.

Can't win what? The NC? I might agree with that. But they can more than hold it down if he has to miss some time.

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ Feb 12, 2009 -> 11:37 AM)
Yep, everyone made a big deal about him wearing a Duke shirt at the game. I tell you what I think does hurt Duke, the fact that guys like Elliot Williams is buried by Coach K. on the bench just because he is a frosh. They are clearly athletically challenged and Williams is a stud recruit with big time athleticism, but K just doesn't give Plumlee/Williams much run at all. For a stud like Barnes/Wall who should be preping for the NBA, this looks like a pretty big minus for going to Duke.

Barnes won't say anything in regards to his recruitment. Whoever wins his mom will likely get him though.

On the "brotha" scale, a friend of his called him "the whitest black guy he's ever known. You (Heads) look black next to him." So maybe he is Duke material.

Anyways, Barnes will be a good get for whoever. Upstanding citizen, good basketball player. Just hope I don't have to hate him for going to Kansas.

We were on him his freshman year, gave him his first offer and couldn't lock him up.

I honestly believe it's down to Iowa State, UNC, Duke, Kansas and Florida for him. One of those things is not like the other.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 12, 2009 -> 03:08 PM)
Can't win what? The NC? I might agree with that. But they can more than hold it down if he has to miss some time.

The NC.

Maybe even the BET too. The Huskies did so well against L'Ville b/c they ran through their press with their 3 guards. They'll also need him on 'D' against the guards of Marquette and 'Nova.

With him they are a legit NC contender, without him they're more like an Elite 8 team IMO

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 12, 2009 -> 02:50 PM)
The NC.

Maybe even the BET too. The Huskies did so well against L'Ville b/c they ran through their press with their 3 guards. They'll also need him on 'D' against the guards of Marquette and 'Nova.

With him they are a legit NC contender, without him they're more like an Elite 8 team IMO

Fair enough. When you said they can't win without him I wasn't sure if you meant the NC or if you meant they would completely fall apart.

It's too bad DePaul joined the Big East. If they had chosen to go to the ACC. They'd be champions this year, at leas according to Terrance Williams:

"Q: Where do you stand on the debate about which conference--the Big East or ACC--is college basketball's best?

A: The Big East. I don't know how you could even ask that. That's easy. That's not even a question.

Q: Why is that?

A: Look how physical we are. The ACC, that's not physical. Our last-place team in the Big East could win in the ACC. We're the toughest conference.

Q: What's the best team you've faced this season?

A: That's easy, Connecticut. We lost to them."