Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Feb 7, 2009 -> 09:51 PM)
Brian- you think that was bad? He got posterized big time @ Clemson.

Remember when Paulus was a frosh and people were proclaiming him the next Bobby Hurley? He has regressed big time and I love it.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 12:32 PM)
Remember when Paulus was a frosh and people were proclaiming him the next Bobby Hurley? He has regressed big time and I love it.

Yeah, he's pretty bad now.

Remember when Danny Green dunked on him? I think it was last year in Cameron, but it could have been the year before last.

Another national big ten game, another terrible job of officiating. The last three drives: jackson (and 1 - not a foul), frazier (a foul- no call) and mccamey (and 1 - not a foul). Just terrible. I'm not even asking for fouls to be called or not to be called, just a little consistency.

Purdue and Illinois are essentially the same team. Good defensive teams with no go-to guy on the offensive end that can be a difference maker. It also hurts when the best defenders are no threat offensively (Frazier/Kramer), the bigs are too small to bang down low (tisdale/johnson), and the one player that can be a difference maker falls asleep a lot (mccamey/moore). Everyone else is just icing on the cake if they do something good.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 01:00 PM)
Another national big ten game, another terrible job of officiating. The last three drives: jackson (and 1 - not a foul), frazier (a foul- no call) and mccamey (and 1 - not a foul). Just terrible. I'm not even asking for fouls to be called or not to be called, just a little consistency.

Purdue and Illinois are essentially the same team. Good defensive teams with no go-to guy on the offensive end that can be a difference maker. It also hurts when the best defenders are no threat offensively (Frazier/Kramer), the bigs are too small to bang down low (tisdale/johnson), and the one player that can be a difference maker falls asleep a lot (mccamey/moore). Everyone else is just icing on the cake if they do something good.

Please stop blaming the refs!

Illanoy should be killing Purdue without Hummel.

I would salivate having KU v Illanoy as a 4/5 matchup.

I'm not blaming the refs for anything. I think it's pretty clear that all season the refs in the big ten have sucked. They don't call anything consistently from one game to the next, let alone one minute to the next. That's my complaint.

And IMO Hummel is the most overrated player in the big ten. There are at least 10 guys in the league right now I'd rather have.

Wake me up when Kansas actually plays (and wins a game against) someone good.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 01:23 PM)
I'm not blaming the refs for anything. I think it's pretty clear that all season the refs in the big ten have sucked. They don't call anything consistently from one game to the next, let alone one minute to the next. That's my complaint.

And IMO Hummel is the most overrated player in the big ten. There are at least 10 guys in the league right now I'd rather have.

Wake me up when Kansas actually plays (and wins a game against) someone good.

There is no such thing as a Big 10 ref, they rotate. That is why all of us complain about Ed Hightower.

I am not bragging about KU, i just think they would slaughter Illanoy.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 01:28 PM)
There is no such thing as a Big 10 ref, they rotate. That is why all of us complain about Ed Hightower.

I am not bragging about KU, i just think they would slaughter Illanoy.

Ok fine. The officials that work Big Ten games suck. That better?

Kind of sad from our friends on Mizzou.

Missouri’s third Big 12 road victory boosted it to 7-2 in the league standings, behind only unbeaten Oklahoma and Kansas. The Tigers have a two-game pad on their closest pursuer and seem as ready as they’ve been in years to take on Kansas in a big game Monday at Mizzou Arena.

It was that type of thinking, of course, that had Anderson worried prior to the tip-off at Iowa State.

“Everybody is talking about Big Monday,” Anderson said. “This was Big Saturday.”

Now it is just fine to talk about Big Monday. Border War Monday. Kansas at Missouri. Inside a packed and loud-as-can-be Mizzou Arena.

“Oh my God!” Lyons said in anticipation. “People thought they saw something when Baylor was there. This means more than the national championship to us.”

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 02:18 PM)
Yet it's okay to blame the refs when Duke wins a game at home, right?

Of course, everyone knows the refs are catering to the Duke cause. They are taught to flop flop and flop and the refs buy into it. The Big 10 has more controversial ref calls because it is a slower and much more physical game. Many of the other conferences feature a more uptempo style game. Steve Alford was talking about this during the halftime interview of the UNM v UNLV game last night.

The problem the big ten (and the officials that work the games) is that it wants to continue to maintain its uniqueness as the bruising 40 minute defense style of play versus the run and gun style other major conferences play. It's how to call those games. You either let the players play, or you call every little ticky tacky foul. I think most big ten fans don't care how you call it, so long as you stay consistent - i.e., a physical bump on a driving player isn't a foul with 15:00 minutes to go in the 1st half and it isn't a foul with :30 seconds to go in the game. Or as Weber pointed out last time they played Purdue, Kramer fouls 5-6 times ever possession and its considered "tough D." But another player who gets just the slightest of bumps driving to the hoop will get the foul. There's something wrong there. (and btw, i like how kramer plays. i don't consider his physicality "fouling" but i do have an issue with him being able to body up so much 30 feet from the basket but the big guys down low can't do that)

For whatever reason, the last 2-3 years have been especially bad in this area. I'm ok with calling the game differently from game to game, but when it starts changing in the middle of the game you ruin the sport. It's like home plate umps in baseball. No ones strike zone is the exact same. All you ask if that they stay consistent and call pitches the same for each team for the entirety of the game.

QUOTE (Felix @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 10:17 AM)
Rebounding is normally a problem (although this year is far better than previous years in that regard), but we outrebounded OSU by 7 yesterday. It wasn't a problem against them at all. The real problem was unforced turnovers, especially by our guards. Al Nolen had an uncharacteristically bad game and when he's struggling its very hard for our offense to get going.

I would say the real problem was that they arent very good away from their home court. That and the duo of Evan Turner and William Buford.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 03:04 PM)
The problem the big ten (and the officials that work the games) is that it wants to continue to maintain its uniqueness as the bruising 40 minute defense style of play versus the run and gun style other major conferences play. It's how to call those games. You either let the players play, or you call every little ticky tacky foul. I think most big ten fans don't care how you call it, so long as you stay consistent - i.e., a physical bump on a driving player isn't a foul with 15:00 minutes to go in the 1st half and it isn't a foul with :30 seconds to go in the game. Or as Weber pointed out last time they played Purdue, Kramer fouls 5-6 times ever possession and its considered "tough D." But another player who gets just the slightest of bumps driving to the hoop will get the foul. There's something wrong there. (and btw, i like how kramer plays. i don't consider his physicality "fouling" but i do have an issue with him being able to body up so much 30 feet from the basket but the big guys down low can't do that)

For whatever reason, the last 2-3 years have been especially bad in this area. I'm ok with calling the game differently from game to game, but when it starts changing in the middle of the game you ruin the sport. It's like home plate umps in baseball. No ones strike zone is the exact same. All you ask if that they stay consistent and call pitches the same for each team for the entirety of the game.

It gets them into trouble in the tourney because depending on the crew, their physical defensive style goes without calls, or every player gets into foul trouble. There really isnt a middle ground at that point and sometimes it bites them in the ass. ON the flip side I think one reason Big Ten teams "surprise" people and get so far in the tourney some years is that other conferences arent used to the defensive nature of B10 teams and it defeats them.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 03:37 PM)
I would say the real problem was that they arent very good away from their home court. That and the duo of Evan Turner and William Buford.

Yep, but that's the same deal as the turnovers. The team isn't composed on the road. I don't know if they are flustered by the crowd or something, but they are always reckless on the road which definitely affects the turnovers. They make too many mental mistakes, which is something they are pretty good at avoiding at home.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 01:00 PM)

Robbie Hummel hasn't been right for a while now. Otherwise, I think he's a legit go-to guy/difference maker. I agree with your other points. We better start learning how to play on the road, like, soon.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 07:49 PM)
Indiana St. has buried 5 straight threes to come from behind 12 to tie it up with Ill St. 27 seconds to go. On ESPNU.

Those Sycamores must be a national powerhouse to be beating the mighty Redbirds...again.