Steve Stone

Princess Dye

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 11:09 PM)
Don't ever bring up the name Sean Rodriguez. He makes Brian Anderson look like Babe Ruth at the plate. And there ain't a chance in hell I'm trading Floyd without getting another young potential front of the rotation starter in return.

Yeah, trading a pre-arbitration pitcher who just had a season that is worth $15 million on the free agent market for more prospects is a pretty dumb thing to do. Floyd shouldn't be available for anything less than the elite of MLB.

If Paulie goes to the Angels I hope it's because we had just somehow picked up a better hitting 1B than Nick Swisher. My whole feeling on the glut of sluggers is that if the Sox are going to move someone, do it for the right reasons. Do it to get younger and better, preferably both with the Major League team and in the minor leagues. Don't do it simply to open a spot for a guy who was the P4P worst regular position player on the team last year.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 02:00 AM)
I think now is the time to trade Floyd, hes value is ridiculously high and we could get a team to absolutely shell out to get him.

I, of course, wouldn't mind keeping him but we could great value in return. Floyd isn't Konerko, Thome, Vaz or Dye, he's got real value that can make your team much better.

Offer him up in a deal for Prince then and look to move a couple sluggers for pitching. Don't deal him for suspects.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 02:00 AM)
I think now is the time to trade Floyd, hes value is ridiculously high and we could get a team to absolutely shell out to get him.

I, of course, wouldn't mind keeping him but we could great value in return. Floyd isn't Konerko, Thome, Vaz or Dye, he's got real value that can make your team much better.

As far as I'm concerned, Floyd is as untouchable as Danks is.

Floyd, from what I see, is a 220+ IP, 4.00 (give or take) pitcher who will get Cy Young votes at some point in time. His curveball has started to become more consistent; his changeup is a plus pitch; he has atleast two different variations on his fastball. Floyd is a stud - a fantastic #3, a luxurious #4, and a good #2 pitcher - for any team in the major leagues. His HR/9 decreased, K/9 increased, and BB/9 decreased in the second half. The only thing that increased - as expected by any numbers given to anybody - was his H/9, and his H/9 in the first half was unsustainable throughout the course of the year based on regression to the mean (because with the minimal K/9 and the amount of walks and homers he was giving up, a .213 BAA is lucky). Gavin Floyd, as a pitcher, was living, breathing proof of a pitcher developing throughout the course of the year, and he did become the stopper for the Sox as the season winded down, even if it came with a 4.50 ERA.

The team that Gavin Floyd has the most value to is the Chicago White Sox. If some team really feels that they want Gavin Floyd, they better be willing to give up a ton of value, because Gavin Floyd - atleast to the Sox - has more value than Matt Cain. Write that down.

So, in that regard, Floyd isn't Konerko, Thome, Vazquez, or Dye - he's a starting pitcher the White Sox can plug into the rotation for 4 years and get a ton of innings out of and, likely, some damn good innings too.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,6117087.story

Tribune article...new names mentioned include Alex Cora as "supersub" if they don't retain Uribe, the idea of restructuring Toby Hall's contract if they wish to retain him, Dennys Reyes as loogy (backing up Thornton and providing insurance for Richard/Logan) and finally, Taveras/Atkins as part of a bigger package to solve the 3B and CF dilemma/s. Also is complimentary of a Getz/Ramirez pairing in the middle infield. No mention of Nix yet.

I like the idea of Reyes FWIW.

He's had 2 excellent seasons out of the last 3 with the Twins as a reliever, would be an upgrade over Logan, and would take something away from our biggest rival in the division.

All depends on the price though.

No chance Floyd or Danks are dealt either. KW should b looking to pickup more pitchers like them who haven't hit the majors yet FWIW.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 12:03 AM)
Yeah, trading a pre-arbitration pitcher who just had a season that is worth $15 million on the free agent market for more prospects is a pretty dumb thing to do. Floyd shouldn't be available for anything less than the elite of MLB.

If Paulie goes to the Angels I hope it's because we had just somehow picked up a better hitting 1B than Nick Swisher. My whole feeling on the glut of sluggers is that if the Sox are going to move someone, do it for the right reasons. Do it to get younger and better, preferably both with the Major League team and in the minor leagues. Don't do it simply to open a spot for a guy who was the P4P worst regular position player on the team last year.

Excellent post, couldn't agree more.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 01:02 PM)
Prince Fielder could be had, he is a better 1B that Swish. Then we could easily have the All-Star Buffet eating team of Uribe and Prince.

Fielder's represented by Bora$$ though IIRC.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 08:12 AM)
I like the idea of Reyes FWIW.

He's had 2 excellent seasons out of the last 3 with the Twins as a reliever, would be an upgrade over Logan, and would take something away from our biggest rival in the division.

All depends on the price though.

No chance Floyd or Danks are dealt either. KW should b looking to pickup more pitchers like them who haven't hit the majors yet FWIW.

With the emergence of Breslow and Mijares (especially in the last season) and the fact that Neshek will be back, Reyes is too expensive and was essentially their third or fourth lefty option (also after Guardado) down the stretch.

He's kind of like Jamie Walker to me, albeit with a better track record. Having watched a number of Twins' games in the past, I don't quite trust him anymore...although it's such a "hit and miss" proposition with bullpen arms.

Certainly, I'd take him over Richard and Logan, just depends on the cost.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 12:32 AM)
Reyes looks good to me. Still dominant against lefties and respectable against righties. He can pitch in the 7th for me any time, and he wouldn't even be asked to do that in Chicago.

And you saw the impact of what having a good bullpen did to us earlier this season, and then when Linebrink got injured and Logan lost it, it all kind of went downhill from there.

So it certainly needs another upgrade or 2 IMHO.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 08:40 AM)
And you saw the impact of what having a good bullpen did to us earlier this season, and then when Linebrink got injured and Logan lost it, it all kind of went downhill from there.

So it certainly needs another upgrade or 2 IMHO.

Yeah but Linebrink is going into next season healthy and I really think Richard will be a dominant arm in the bullpen if nothing else give us what Logan was at the beginning of the season. The only spot really up for grabs in my opinion is DJ Carraso's.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 12:23 PM)
Yeah but Linebrink is going into next season healthy and I really think Richard will be a dominant arm in the bullpen if nothing else give us what Logan was at the beginning of the season. The only spot really up for grabs in my opinion is DJ Carraso's.

Richard should be the swingman I think, taking over Carrasco's role. He seems ideal to be the pitcher who can throw around 3 innings before hitters get used to his stuff.

You could then sign Reyes to take over for Logan. Depends if we use 7 pitchers as well, as they may give that last spot to either D.J or a guy like Adam Russell.