Swisher, Dye or PK will be traded

fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 10:29 PM)
KW flat out states that Swisher won't play CF next season. Please KW, don't trade for Luis Castillo or Julio Lugo.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,7236960.story

I am glad that Swisher won't be in CF, but what happens if Thome is traded and PK is DH and Swisher is 1st. But I think its clear one of those three is gone, not necessarily just PK or Swish.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 05:33 AM)
Or he'll start in RF, in fact if I had to put money on it I'd say Dye would be the one to go.

Ugh, as you know, Swisher's value goes down the toilet once he moves to RF or 1B. I've still yet to hear Dye's name actually rumored in trade possibilities.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 10:33 PM)
Or he'll start in RF, in fact if I had to put money on it I'd say Dye would be the one to go.

Dye would make sense. He will bring back value, his contract is very attractive for other teams. His production is still very good.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 05:35 AM)
I think he starts in LF, with Q moving to RF. Either way, I think Dye moves as well.

It's too bad we can't move Dye to DH, Quentin to RF, Swisher to LF, and trade Thome. With the news that the Angels don't think they'll afford Tex, I really think we'll see Konerko traded for Chone and a AAA reliever.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 11:34 PM)
Ugh, as you know, Swisher's value goes down the toilet once he moves to RF or 1B. I've still yet to hear Dye's name actually rumored in trade possibilities.

Eh, he's gotta play somewhere and LF, DH and CF are off limits so that leaves RF or 1B so his value to the team will have to take a hit if they want to play him everyday.

And that bold portion means what exactly? Number of rumors ≠ greater chance of a deal. And if you want a lame trade rumor I'll give you one. Terry Boers spoke to his White Sox "guy" the other day and came away with the feeling that the player KW is trying hardest to trade is JD, this means nothing of course, in fact it probably means less than nothing but you wanted a rumor so there you go.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 04:42 AM)
Eh, he's gotta play somewhere and LF, DH and CF are off limits so that leaves RF or 1B so his value to the team will have to take a hit if they want to play him everyday.

And that bold portion means what exactly? Number of rumors ≠ likely hood of a deal. And if you want a lame trade rumor I'll give you one. Terry Boers spoke to his White Sox "guy" the other day and came away with the feeling that the player KW is trying hardest to trade is JD, this means nothing of course, in fact it probably means less than nothing but you wanted a rumor so there you go.

If Boers really said that, then I put stock in it. B and B have a lot of inside information. Up until you said that, I had not heard/read of any situation in which the Sox were considering getting rid of Dye. Dye might be slow as hell defensively, but I don't consider him a base clogger. He gets a ton of extra base hits (same reason I advocate for Glaus).

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 11:34 PM)
Dye would make sense. He will bring back value, his contract is very attractive for other teams. His production is still very good.

It definitely makes the most sense. Of the big 3 Dye: 1.) is the only one that doesn't have a full NTC 2.) is on a 1 year, $11.5M deal which is short term and reasonable 3.) has the most trade value and 4.) probably the best bet to be productive next season.

I would change the thread to Swisher or Dye will be traded.

I just can't imagine anyone would want to take Konerko's two years, $24 million after the season he had. Plus it pretty much would have to be the Angels or Diamondbacks for Paulie to approve, and we don't know if either team wants him.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 11:39 PM)
I don't think people want Dye traded. But the group of us that is logical about the situation knows that is the most likely scenario.

Dye will probably go down as one of my top 5 favorite players to wear a White Sox uniform.

Yep, it's not about wanting to ship him off, I also absolutely love the guy and always will.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 05:49 AM)
Yep, it's not about wanting to ship him off, I also absolutely love the guy and always will.

Let me ask this...what exactly does trading Dye solve for the White Sox? He's not going to bring back a MLB starting pitcher, and if we're trading Vazquez also, that's really going to put the team into a hole for next season.

I'm in full agreement with the thought that Dye is the most likely to be traded - not because any of us want him gone, because he's a huge fan favorite and one of my favorite to ever wear a White Sox uniform and he's also still productive as hell. I think it has more to do with the fact that the Sox think they can get a good year out of Konerko next year, Thome will be good again, Quentin will be good, and so on and so forth.

I also don't understand why Swisher would move to RF with his arm. I see Quentin in RF and Swisher in LF if Dye is indeed traded.

lordy the world gonna explode with kenny saying swisher not playing in center lol. Which could mean alot.

Lets see... Swisher did play left and 1b

Scenario 1.) trade dye for pitching or prospects, move Carlos Quentin to his nautral position in Right field.

Scenario 2.) Trade Konerko to whoever for speed or prospects, Swisher moves to first

Scenario 3.) Trade inexpensive contract of swisher and that means trade for 3 prospects like w sox did

Edited by chisox2334

From the article:

"While that is not completely clear, the feeling about Vazquez seems to be someone else's big contract, offsetting his $23 million for two years.

The Mets might offer disappointing second baseman Luis Castillo, who is owed $18 million over three years. The Sox could use a second baseman, with Alexei Ramirez slated for shortstop.

The Red Sox, looking for a reliable starter, could offer veteran infielder Julio Lugo, who has two years and $18 million left. Lugo is a potential leadoff hitter with speed."

Whatever Dave van Dyck is feeling, it is probably something up his ass since the above smells like bulls***.

There is no way Javy's contract at 2 years/$11.5M per is an albatross. AJ Burnett is just as shaky as Javy, yet he has an injury history and will be looking for 4/$60 or so, maybe more. I want Javy off this team as much or possibly even more than anybody else, but mentioning Javy with the likes of Julio Lugo and a hobbled Luis Castillo is like me saying the Sox could get a similarly talented player coming off a bad year, like Huston Street, for Mike MacDougal. It's a f***ing joke. The only way a deal like that goes through is if 1) the Mets assume all of Javy's salary, 2) the Mets/Red Sox assume most of Castillo's or Lugo's salary, and 3) if that team gives us some very nice additional pieces.

Javy is signed to the type of contract that is impossible to receive on the FA market. He gives you 200K's or near it, an ERA in the 4's, 200+ IP, and the ability to dominate. This piece of the article is bulls***, completely.

As for Swisher, I have no problem dealing him at all, and if we could get a similar reclamation project or prospect(s), I would jump at the chance. In terms of his lack of hitting ability, his mediocre at best CF defense, his salary owed, and the talent traded to acquire him, Swisher in 2008 was the biggest disappointment I have seen on this team ever. I honestly cannot recall a bigger flop than last year's Nick Swisher. At least Jaime Navarro didn't cost a load of prospects that could have gotten us a very good player. Perhaps worst of all were those annoying commercials of him doing the worm that aired in between his epic strikeouts where he worked the count full just to watch a meatball sail down the heart of the plate.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 10:29 PM)
KW flat out states that Swisher won't play CF next season. Please KW, don't trade for Luis Castillo or Julio Lugo.

I think since KW traded most of his minor league talent for Swish that he wouldnt unload him for crap like that. If he decided to sell on Swish, he should be bringing back a pitcher to replace Javy. I could actually see KW targeting an arm like D Cabrera

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 05:33 AM)

Why would Dye be the one? A quiet leader who hits 35-45 homers and drives in 100 plus runs and hits close to or over .300 and is consistent over "Captain Morgan"? I just don't see the logic. Plus his best posiiton is 1B. We have him basically playing out of position, but once agin the clutch performer is PK at 1B in my opinion. KW might be saying think about where someone is playing, but it's November not March or April.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 07:29 AM)
From the article:

"While that is not completely clear, the feeling about Vazquez seems to be someone else's big contract, offsetting his $23 million for two years.

The Mets might offer disappointing second baseman Luis Castillo, who is owed $18 million over three years. The Sox could use a second baseman, with Alexei Ramirez slated for shortstop.

The Red Sox, looking for a reliable starter, could offer veteran infielder Julio Lugo, who has two years and $18 million left. Lugo is a potential leadoff hitter with speed."

Whatever Dave van Dyck is feeling, it is probably something up his ass since the above smells like bulls***.

There is no way Javy's contract at 2 years/$11.5M per is an albatross. AJ Burnett is just as shaky as Javy, yet he has an injury history and will be looking for 4/$60 or so, maybe more. I want Javy off this team as much or possibly even more than anybody else, but mentioning Javy with the likes of Julio Lugo and a hobbled Luis Castillo is like me saying the Sox could get a similarly talented player coming off a bad year, like Huston Street, for Mike MacDougal. It's a f***ing joke. The only way a deal like that goes through is if 1) the Mets assume all of Javy's salary, 2) the Mets/Red Sox assume most of Castillo's or Lugo's salary, and 3) if that team gives us some very nice additional pieces.

Javy is signed to the type of contract that is impossible to receive on the FA market. He gives you 200K's or near it, an ERA in the 4's, 200+ IP, and the ability to dominate. This piece of the article is bulls***, completely.

As for Swisher, I have no problem dealing him at all, and if we could get a similar reclamation project or prospect(s), I would jump at the chance. In terms of his lack of hitting ability, his mediocre at best CF defense, his salary owed, and the talent traded to acquire him, Swisher in 2008 was the biggest disappointment I have seen on this team ever. I honestly cannot recall a bigger flop than last year's Nick Swisher. At least Jaime Navarro didn't cost a load of prospects that could have gotten us a very good player. Perhaps worst of all were those annoying commercials of him doing the worm that aired in between his epic strikeouts where he worked the count full just to watch a meatball sail down the heart of the plate.

I agree. Why would we trade for someone elses "disappointing" players? These writers have too much time on their hands at this time of the year. Swisher might be the one on the block for sure though.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 08:29 PM)

The discussed Taveras for Broadway deal I would do in a heartbeat. I would not even think about trading Javy for Lugo or Castillo. Those would be awful trades. Kenny, I realize Javy wet the bed but absolutely do not trade him unless you are getting talent in return.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 09:22 AM)
Why would Dye be the one? A quiet leader who hits 35-45 homers and drives in 100 plus runs and hits close to or over .300 and is consistent over "Captain Morgan"? I just don't see the logic. Plus his best posiiton is 1B. We have him basically playing out of position, but once agin the clutch performer is PK at 1B in my opinion. KW might be saying think about where someone is playing, but it's November not March or April.

Because Dye has a lot of value, he's getting older, the Sox have a replacement waiting for him in Quentin, and they have quite a few needs they need to fill.

I also think Swisher is a more than adequate LF...he provides enough range to be good and his arm isn't strong enough to be in RF. I'd be more than happy with him in LF on opening day.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 09:24 AM)
I agree. Why would we trade for someone elses "disappointing" players? These writers have too much time on their hands at this time of the year. Swisher might be the one on the block for sure though.

Carlos Quentin and Gavin Floyd were disappointing players. Their value is low and the potential is high. If they don't work out, you cut your losses.

That's why you trade for disappointing players.

You also don't trade players whose values are at the lowest they've ever been. That's why the Sox probably won't trade Swisher, barring some unforeseen deal.

Another tall tale from Kenny?

At the 2006 winter meetings, White Sox G.M. Ken Williams told me that he probably would not trade a starting pitcher before spring training.

He sent Freddy Garcia to the Phillies that night.

Needless to say, I'm skeptical that Williams will go with Chris Getz and Jayson Nix at second, Brian Anderson and Jerry Owens in center field and Josh Fields at third base.

Williams, however, says that the White Sox are comfortable adding to their young core even if it means using unproven players at three positions.

"It's really tough to get more speed and get more athletic if you don't get a little younger in the process," Williams said. "It's tough to have it both ways."

Perhaps, and a free agent such as second baseman Orlando Hudson likely will be too expensive for the White Sox.

Then again, Williams also said that the Sox are getting "a lot" of interest in their veterans — presumably, right fielder Jermaine Dye, right-hander Javier Vazquez and outfielder Nick Swisher.

As always, Williams will consider anything and everything, forever in search of his next surprise.

— Ken Rosenthal

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 12:29 AM)
In terms of his lack of hitting ability, his mediocre at best CF defense, his salary owed, and the talent traded to acquire him, Swisher in 2008 was the biggest disappointment I have seen on this team ever. I honestly cannot recall a bigger flop than last year's Nick Swisher.

Todd Ritchie only played every five days but he could definitely give Swish a run for that title. Brian Kingman's dubious honor was at risk long before Mike Maroth and the atrocious 2003 Tigers ended his time in the spotlight. I agree Swish sucked but at least he hit that slam against the Cubs. I can not think of one redeeming quality in Todd Ritchie. The worst part is Fogg, Wells, and even Sean Lowe had pretty good trade value at the time no matter how the rest of their careers panned out.

Kenny's past behavior suggests he is a buy low sell high kind of guy.

That leads me to believe he will trade Dye.

Based on the past two seasons of underproduction from PK, KW won't get much for him if he put him on the block.

Swisher is versetile, and has a slavery deal. I think its unlikely he'll be traded.

Thome's $13 m contract and his age make him untradeable as well.

KW's past behavior does suggest he go in search of some sub-par outfield help.. someone life Tavaras... but I hope not...