Sox sign Dayan Viciedo

chunk23

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we can become the hot place for all the Cuban defectors to sign and prosper, then sign me the hell up. Like most have already said, this is like grabbing another 1st round prospect. Young, big bat, a lot of upside, nice move.

Now it's time for me to learn how to pronounce his name. Lil Help?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 05:15 PM)
He doesn't look incredibly out of shape right now, certainly not quite so bad as reported. But he definitely needs to shed 15-25 pounds.

Let the excuses roll in from other organizations about why they didn't sign THIS Cuban, lol. It would be incredibly interesting to see which teams submitted offers to Torres, and for how many years and dollars.

Are you basing this off that one picture?

Edited by Leonard Zelig

He looks like he ate Alexei. I definitely like the move though. Even if he doesn't pan out, it's the type of move this organization should be making more of, low risk/high reward.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 05:27 PM)
But as for Viciedo, he's got amazing power by all reports, and I think he could end up being the next Frank Thomas. That's a big statement, but I think he's got the talent to do so.

Let's not get too excited here. He is, after all, 19 years old and as far as I know, hasn't played in the United States. To be comparing him to the best hitter of the 90's seems a bit excessive.

QUOTE (Sox It To Em @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 03:31 PM)
Low-risk, high-reward. Awesome.

It's not necessarily low-risk. If you think about it an 11M contract would be similar to that of an 11M signing bonus (a little different, but similar). However, given the scheme of things you could have him pan out tremendously. Fantastic move but if he didn't pan out, you'd be talking about more money than the Sox spent on the entire 2008 draft.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 06:00 PM)
That might just be your 2010 White Sox infield only with Brandon Allen in place of a certain someone.

I think if Konerko shows some life within the next two years and puts up solid production, we could see him return, at either 1B or DH.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 07:05 PM)
It's not necessarily low-risk. If you think about it an 11M contract would be similar to that of an 11M signing bonus (a little different, but similar). However, given the scheme of things you could have him pan out tremendously. Fantastic move but if he didn't pan out, you'd be talking about more money than the Sox spent on the entire 2008 draft.

Well,from that perspective, we can say signing MacDougal and giving Contreras a contract through 2009 cost us even more, another draft. Heck, didn't we spend half a million on that Korean pitcher who's done pretty much zero?

I think it's a great sign to send to the fanbase.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 07:13 PM)
I like this move, but you don't pay that kind of money to someone to play AA or AAA. Maybe part of 2009, but my guess is he will be in the bigs real soon if not opening day. If he plays 3B where does Josh Fields go?

Maybe LF if we trade Dye and move Quentin over to RF??

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 04:13 PM)
I like this move, but you don't pay that kind of money to someone to play AA or AAA. Maybe part of 2009, but my guess is he will be in the bigs real soon if not opening day. If he plays 3B where does Josh Fields go?

At this point...presumably that depends on Josh Fields.

If Josh Fields plays like Josh Fields did in 2007, putting up 30+ home run power and frankly not sucking at 3b, then either he'll have a role with the Sox somewhere or he'll be moved for another solid piece.