Sox sign Dayan Viciedo

chunk23

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 04:12 PM)
Well,from that perspective, we can say signing MacDougal and giving Contreras a contract through 2009 cost us even more, another draft. Heck, didn't we spend half a million on that Korean pitcher who's done pretty much zero?

I think it's a great sign to send to the fanbase.

Agreed, which is why I think its great when the Sox make small moves even late in the season when they are out of contention (ie when they moved Tadahito and Mack) as that small funds can go out to help you sign a few more guys into your farm system as international free agents (or give a 7th rounder a bit more money than you typically would).

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 05:25 PM)
You mean Andy Gonzalez and Pedro Lopez weren't really prospects, lol? Jason Dellaero...those were the days.

Not to mention bringing in Ramirez and skipping over his minor league incubation period. Who knows, maybe Nix and/or Fields will surprise a few people, and Betemit was once one of the top 2-3 infield prospects in the game.

In B'ham, there is a term thrown around...the "Dallaero Line."

With our GM I know the chances of this happening are remote...but even with the lack of a true leadoff hitter, if our roster wound up starting the season as it is currently constructed, without any other big trades or signings, I'd be content. Not thrilled, but certainly not angry.

When was the last time we had 3 prospects who were solid 4 star guys or higher (I think Beckham is a 4.5)?

I'm really excited about our roster right now, we have young players producing at the big league level and a pretty solid upper tier in the minors that fill in perfectly.

Edited by DukeNukeEm

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 06:05 PM)
And it makes us more likely to get the NEXT star who defects. Cubano?

The pipeline is in place, if this kid is a success ala Ramirez, look out!

I am excited for Viciedo and the Sox. Hopefully, he will become a productive big leaguer. I would love to see Holguin Hounds LHP Aroldis Chapman defect. He was caught trying to leave in a beach in his province. He is the real deal and very young.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 06:08 PM)
Cubano, when was the last time two position players from Cuba were on the same infield (or outfield, for that matter) on an MLB team? Has it ever happened before?

Maybe Yunel Escobar and Brayan Pena with the Braves. I have to check. Also, Jorge Toca and Rey Ordoñez with the Mets. However, the Sox duo may be playing more games together for a long time. Hopefully, the kid can follow the Missile lead.

QUOTE (R.J. @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 06:43 PM)
If we can become the hot place for all the Cuban defectors to sign and prosper, then sign me the hell up. Like most have already said, this is like grabbing another 1st round prospect. Young, big bat, a lot of upside, nice move.

Now it's time for me to learn how to pronounce his name. Lil Help?

Americans do not have problem with names. If they do, they come with a nickname or abreviation. Call him D.V. or the Cuban Junior. Ha, ha, ha.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 06:32 PM)
I'm somewhere in my excitement level between the White Sox acquisitions of Anderson Gomes and Albert Belle in his prime.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....to-sign-19.html

Phil Rogers article, except I'm not getting anything to come up yet here in Thailand on my computer.

Man, you ended really far away. Thailand! Nothing compares to America, land of the free. :headbang

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 07:12 PM)
Well,from that perspective, we can say signing MacDougal and giving Contreras a contract through 2009 cost us even more, another draft. Heck, didn't we spend half a million on that Korean pitcher who's done pretty much zero?

I think it's a great sign to send to the fanbase.

What is the name of that Korean pitcher?

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 08:13 PM)
4 pages, and nothing from Cubano yet? WTF?

I am working man. In America if you do not work, you strikeout. I can not apply for welfare now. We are in an economic crisis once in our life time. The deficit is too large.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 08:29 PM)
I've heard he's played some outfield and has a really good arm. This is great news-like a free agent signing-costs us ZERO players

I was in Guantanamo Bay as a refugee for a year. I saw your picture asking about this place. Guantanmo Indians of the cuban league have some good young players. They have a young LHP that came from the cuban junior team called Onelquis Garcia. Their 2B Yoilan Cerce is good. The CF and leadoff for the cuban team is from there too. His name is Giorvis Duvergel.

Edited by Cubano

QUOTE (BearSox @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 07:10 PM)
I think if Konerko shows some life within the next two years and puts up solid production, we could see him return, at either 1B or DH.

While i think that Thome's more likley to be here then Konerko in two years i imagine whomever is here (Konerko, Thome, or Dye) will move to DH when Allen is ready.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 09:26 PM)
Thome will be gone after 2009.

Wait, they option they exercised was for this coming year, right? You might just be right then. Despite this signing i still think Nix and Fields will be in our opening day lineup. Cf is the only position i see as up in the air.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 07:29 PM)
I've heard he's played some outfield and has a really good arm. This is great news-like a free agent signing-costs us ZERO players

I read somehere that he can also throw a 90mph + fastball. The article that I read and cannot source;said that he gave up pitching at about 16. the 11 million dollar man. Wow. I think he can molded into anything we want except a middle infielder. I'm going to spring training for sure........ Glendale az. you can spot me I'll have his name on my jersey.

YAY!!!!!!

YAAAAAAY!!!!!!

This makes me so happy!!!!!

Take that Yankees, you dumb motherf***ing cocksuckers!!! Yeah, bet you still think that Loaiza for Contreras deal was a steal, huh??? Try Loaiza for Contreras, El Duque, Alexei, and Viciedo!!! It's all thanks to that one damn f***ing awesome deal!!! So f*** you Yanks, Kenny Williams OWNS your b**** asses!!!